KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Which age group?

• 17 or younger (sure there's some places that still allow this)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 18-20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21-29

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • 30-39

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • 40-49

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • 50-59

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • 60-69

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • 70-80! Heroes

Votes: 8 9.1%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems like we have quite a age diverse group of members, with some venerable gentlemen amongst us.

Where do you fit in?

• 17 or younger (sure there's some places that still allow this)
  • 18-20
  • 21-29
  • 30-39
  • 40-49
  • 50-59
  • 60-69
  • 70 or older
  • Prefer not to say (result not public anyway)

·
Registered
262 Posts
47, I've ridden, trackdayed and raced just about anything and everything. Recent bikes all KTM though for last 4-5 years now

Owned 50+ bikes with 13 being KTM.

That being said, I am still super-slow on the track, (the entire field of amateurs passed me, (see my videos), including my wife.

·
Registered
6 Posts
47 year old, had Yamaha yzf1000,trx850, Honda cbf1000, ktm690duke. Got my 790duke in October, don 4000km so far and absolutely loved every one of them. Had my wife on the back for the first time on the weekend, she felt so comfortable with the bike straight away, especially loving the quickshift gear changes, no more helmet banging. This bike is just such a sorted bike, feels so secure through the twisties. Just love it. Highly recommend the Verex de-cat pipe if anyone is looking to go that way. Crisps up the throttle and sounds superb.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting a lot of riders dropping their larger litres for something more "sensible" and in a lot of ways more capable

·
Registered
100 Posts
Interesting a lot of riders dropping their larger litres for something more "sensible" and in a lot of ways more capable
Exactly. I'm 59, owned more than 20 bikes, ddone some racing, and I've come to the conclusion that a light, great handling bike is the most fun. I feel that right around 100hp is all that's needed on road or track.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can add another over 70 to the list, ex road racer, trail rider, track dayer etc.
Who likes light, powerful, good handling etc etc.......we do
Believe there's at least 2 others here the same, but don't think they've found their way to this thread yet :smile:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lot more people about these days, would be interested to see where everyone else falls in these categories.

Old timers are clear winners at the moment :grin:

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
72 in October. Deliberately went for the 790 because of the light weight. The other part of the strategy to keep riding for as long as possible was to acquire some good road skills and get rid of ingrained bad habits by enrolling in the Police Roadcraft advanced riding system developed in the UK. Ego damaging initially but had a fantastic outcome. Have been doing it for 7 years now. I reckon that the 2 part strategy will keep me going for a few years yet :grin:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm in the minority. . . . only had 4 bikes before my 790 Duke, all Honda, purely by chance, apart from the second VFR.

Purchased for the lightness, nimbleness, quickness & any other nesses that fit the description. Fab bike & I don't see anything replacing it for a long time!!
Very happy with my first ever new bike :)

Oh & 56

·
Registered
435 Posts
59 years young. over 20 new bikes, 4th KTM, 640 SMR, 1290SDR a GT 1290 and now a 790. Still have the GT along with my much travelled Multistrada. I dabbled with a MV 800, but the angry triple thing ain't my thing, hence the 790, light nimble and easy to single handedly load it in and out of the van.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
God bless ya! Same here, I plan to ride until I cannot. :smile_big:

Haa! So many of us in our 50's.
Thanks for the kind words but actually, god bless my wife :grin: . For 47 years, she's put up with my motorcycling obsession (plus a few years of competitive sailing). She rolls her eyes and sighs a lot when I talk motorcycles but that's the extent of her mickey-taking. She was also the best pillion passenger bar none when she rode with me. It's strictly solo these days though!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the kind words but actually, god bless my wife :grin: . For 47 years, she's put up with my motorcycling obsession (plus a few years of competitive sailing). She rolls her eyes and sighs a lot when I talk motorcycles but that's the extent of her mickey-taking. She was also the best pillion passenger bar none when she rode with me. It's strictly solo these days though!
I guess in that context i'm very fortunate, this is Mrs Weeksy on her current bike.

SSZx6R2 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

She does more trackdays than me now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
58 just! Rode when I was a young 'un in the UK, then got back into riding 10 years ago here in Canada. During that time owned a Buell XB12R, Yamaha FZ09, Aprilia Shiver 750 and now the 790. Loved them all, but the KTM comes out tops for me. I think I'll be hanging on to this one for a good while. I've modded it to exactly where I want it, and like others, have a (healthy?) obsession with it! Ride safely all, and keep enjoying your 790's!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts