KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just thought I’d introduce myself on the forum as I have been lurking around for sometime now, bought my 790 last year and due to lockdown not used it anywhere near as much as I wanted to.

I blame the various lockdowns for my excessive mods lol but I usually can’t help myself, had a fair few bikes in my time including a 990 SD but I can’t think of one I have had as much fun on so far .. think the bike looks and rides brilliantly now :)

Best mod so far has to be akrapovic and map transformed the bike imo

Closely followed by the ohlins suspension

I look forward to getting out on it again soon !!

Here’s some pics of the bike

1786F6F8-E334-4542-8206-8571D513BE5E.jpeg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome. Where abouts are you? Bike looks good. I'm not a fan of decals but that one's pretty ok. I've got to ask. Ohlins. How much? Standard suspension is acceptable but I'm a big bloke and it struggles occasionally. What tyres have you gone for. I can see they're Michelins, but which? Do the bar end mirrors make any difference to what you can see behind or are they just for show?
Which of the farkles were worth it, and why, and did you get any wrong (too expensive to justify or don't do the job properly.
Roll on freedom to ride again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome. Where abouts are you? Bike looks good. I'm not a fan of decals but that one's pretty ok. I've got to ask. Ohlins. How much? Standard suspension is acceptable but I'm a big bloke and it struggles occasionally. What tyres have you gone for. I can see they're Michelins, but which? Do the bar end mirrors make any difference to what you can see behind or are they just for show?
Which of the farkles were worth it, and why, and did you get any wrong (too expensive to justify or don't do the job properly.
Roll on freedom to ride again.
Hi there :) I'm near Yeovil, The Decal kit is the KTM official kit and was on the bike when I picked it up, wheel decals and single seat unit were off ebay.

Ohlins came in at £1900 for shock and NIX30 internals with springs for weight, FTR did the work, posted my forks to them and they returned them with the shock. TBH I havent had chance to get out with it done yet.. but if its as good as the fireblade kit i had on my 13 blade I will be over the moon, will keep you posted on that once it warms up and dries out a bit.

Michelin Pilot Road 5s (PR5s) and they are brilliant, didnt like the std tyres at all and used these on 990SD, Fireblade, 1200s Multistrada with same result on the road... excellent wear, sticky in both wet and dry, personally I love them. Will use Meltzer racetec if I get a chance to get on track this year.

Bar end mirrors are KTM and again were on bike when I collected, TBH they take some getting used to but I don't dislike them... makes me do a lot more lifesavers lol.

Lots of it is bling like carbon, anodised bits etc so cant justify them lol... the heated grips are good and usb charger. Akra full system is epic and map transformed the bike for me.

The 19rcs costa mc is brilliant compared to the rubbish std mc that pulled back to the bar, now much better, decided to change it after seeing how good the 890r mc was on my last visit to SP motorcycles, with the EBC sintered pads and wave discs its just what it should of been from the start ... tbh the 19rcs std mc would of been cheaper and done the same job but I figured why not as I got it from capri moto in Italy cheaper before all this Euro import cost rubbish started.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Jamie and welcome.
I'm not too far away in Torquay and there's plenty of people in the region that are members of
www.southwestbikers.com
Lots of ride outs and plenty of trackdays organised Covid permitting.
Did you get your Duke from S & P?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jamie and welcome.
I'm not too far away in Torquay and there's plenty of people in the region that are members of
www.southwestbikers.com
Lots of ride outs and plenty of trackdays organised Covid permitting.
Did you get your Duke from S & P?
I got it from SP Motorcycles in Exeter :) will have a look at the southwestbikers :) thanks for letting me know about it

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice bunch of guys and the mechanics are pretty handy. I'm on first name terms after a year owning a 790Adv....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep they have been great so far, had a leak from the front fork at 50 miles but they sorted that out no issues and did the first service and fitted the Akra system and map for me at the same time. In fact on there website my bike is pictured on there "what's on the bench today" as they liked it so much lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 790Adv had it's own parking space there it was in that often. The Duke has been perfect in comparison

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 790Adv had it's own parking space there it was in that often. The Duke has been perfect in comparison
Hope its behaving itself now, I have a new car that's doing the same as your 790adv ... crossing my fingers that's all done with now lol .. its only behaving at the moment by virtue of not doing anything whilst I work from home ...

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you join the SWB forum I know there's a few riders near you that come out on rideouts with us. There's a 1290SDR and a Tuono that are regulars

·
MotoGP Moderator
909 Posts
Very nice bike and a lot of meaningful mods. Welcome and congrats on the Duke. Enjoy.

Reactions: Jamiehrc

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road 5s (PR5s) and they are brilliant, didnt like the std tyres at all and used these on 990SD, Fireblade, 1200s Multistrada with same result on the road... excellent wear, sticky in both wet and dry, personally I love them. Will use Meltzer racetec if I get a chance to get on track this year.
Welcome from NZ - very nice work on the bike! Like you, I hated the OEM Maxxis. Simply not enough grip in cool, wet conditions. I changed to Bridgestone T31's which were good but the front hoop was going badly out of shape by 6000 km. Went back to the Road 5's as I had them on my Suzuki GSX-S1000 and love them to bits on the KTM. They are now up to 8000 km and they've kept their profile really well. They should be good for over 10,000 km. No complaints about grip in all conditions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congrats Jamie and yes your mods are well done. I gotta ask, I know tech wise the 790 is so much more then your 990SD but I'll bet that 990 is still your favorite bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats Jamie and yes your mods are well done. I gotta ask, I know tech wise the 790 is so much more then your 990SD but I'll bet that 990 is still your favorite bike.
The 990 was an epic bike and I still miss it, my mate still has one so I do hop on his now and then to remember the good old days when you were fully in charge of the bike :) but I do like the TC gods watching over me now and again lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the comprehensive reply Jamiehrc. You got lucky with the bits that were already on the bike. I've got the Akra end can but would love the downpipes too, along with a remap. OE tyres are awful. Mine will be changed once lockdown is lifted. They were almost ok for running in, but lack feedback. I just don't trust them and it's interesting to note that they have been dropped for the base 890.
I'm not sure I can justify Ohlins. I'm not that good a rider and I think they'd be wasted on me. Something in between them and OE is what I'll be looking at eventually.
I'm in West Bay. If you ever find yourself heading this way, give me a shout. Enjoy your bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts