KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked for light powerful universal bike to drive all kind of roads. I especially enjoy to powerslide gravel roads. I ended up to 790 Duke. I have driven a month without any modifications and have enjoyed a lot. I was suprised that OEM tires are so usable. For example we made this trip last weekend:

·
Registered
45 Posts
That’s awesome! I was just on gravel today as that’s the only way to visit my dad. I find the bike is fine on the dirt, but the larger 1/2” to 3/4” scare me a bit. I feel the front wheel sliding off of the rocks and moving side to side slightly. Do you struggle with this, or am I just being a chicken?

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is cool! If I can find a cheap set of stock rims on eBay, I'll put 50/50 tires and try some dirt. I have offroad experience but there's no way I have the balls to try this on stock street tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On loose gravel it squirms more or less, but it feels good. :) In sharp enough bends there is mental feeling that if I steer, I will lose front grip and sometimes there is some slipping. In those cases I use throttle to slide rear and ride like dirt bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On loose gravel it squirms more or less, but it feels good. :) In sharp enough bends there is mental feeling that if I steer, I will lose front grip and sometimes there is some slipping. In those cases I use throttle to slide rear and ride like dirt bike.
Nice. What kind of speed do you go on loose gravel? I tend to just tiptoe alone 20-30kph, but I wonder if the low speed makes the squirming more pronounced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What speed on loose gravel? It depends how twisty road. I would say 40-150, but typically 50-100 kph. Speed makes it more stable, but in bends traction is what it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve got a little gravel spot on the main turn into my apartments I was telling my wife was going to be my downfall. Tiny sandy gravel on the asphalt sketches me out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine did fine on the rough fire trail up to this spot. Rocky and uneven most of the way. It's interesting how much you can do on street rubber.

·
a d m i n .
151,048 Posts
Happy to see some of you are taking these off course, a bit. Great video! :giggle:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice trail! when I get onto gravel/dirt road on a road bike, it would usually take maximum 5 seconds for my mind to flip and go back 20+ years back witch means down shift 2 gears and hit the throttle like I did on my YZ😁

1 - 13 of 13 Posts