KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked for light powerful universal bike to drive all kind of roads. I especially enjoy to powerslide gravel roads. I ended up to 790 Duke. I have driven a month without any modifications and have enjoyed a lot. I was suprised that OEM tires are so usable. For example we made this trip last weekend:

·
Registered
45 Posts
That’s awesome! I was just on gravel today as that’s the only way to visit my dad. I find the bike is fine on the dirt, but the larger 1/2” to 3/4” scare me a bit. I feel the front wheel sliding off of the rocks and moving side to side slightly. Do you struggle with this, or am I just being a chicken?

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is cool! If I can find a cheap set of stock rims on eBay, I'll put 50/50 tires and try some dirt. I have offroad experience but there's no way I have the balls to try this on stock street tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On loose gravel it squirms more or less, but it feels good. :) In sharp enough bends there is mental feeling that if I steer, I will lose front grip and sometimes there is some slipping. In those cases I use throttle to slide rear and ride like dirt bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On loose gravel it squirms more or less, but it feels good. :) In sharp enough bends there is mental feeling that if I steer, I will lose front grip and sometimes there is some slipping. In those cases I use throttle to slide rear and ride like dirt bike.
Nice. What kind of speed do you go on loose gravel? I tend to just tiptoe alone 20-30kph, but I wonder if the low speed makes the squirming more pronounced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What speed on loose gravel? It depends how twisty road. I would say 40-150, but typically 50-100 kph. Speed makes it more stable, but in bends traction is what it is.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice trail! when I get onto gravel/dirt road on a road bike, it would usually take maximum 5 seconds for my mind to flip and go back 20+ years back witch means down shift 2 gears and hit the throttle like I did on my YZ😁

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.