KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Willbers, Nitron, the k-tech is around £1300 for shock and fork internals which is more than likely the way I will go although I might be swayed by the Nitron shock.
I personally don’t think the ohlins is any better than the k-tech or Nitron.
maxton also do front and rear
Looks like the Willber's is a relatively basic shock and no listing for a fork cartridge - just springs. Nitron don’t seem to list anything specifically for the 790 on their website and Maxton require contacting direct for further info. Thanks Pgm I shall investigate further.
QCS I think Andreani cartriges are often paired with Ohlins shocks as a high spec/priced combo.
it would be interesting to see if simply changing the shock would be enough or would it then just highlight the shortcomings
of the fork.........🤔

·
Super-Moderator
627 Posts
Looks like the Willber's is a relatively basic shock and no listing for a fork cartridge - just springs. Nitron don’t seem to list anything specifically for the 790 on their website and Maxton require contacting direct for further info. Thanks Pgm I shall investigate further.
QCS I think Andreani cartriges are often paired with Ohlins shocks as a high spec/priced combo.
it would be interesting to see if simply changing the shock would be enough or would it then just highlight the shortcomings
of the fork.........🤔
The guys at FastBikeIndustries offered me Ohlins and Andreani options for the front and two Ohlins options for the rear. They mentioned they will have a Nitron shock coming out in the near future, but it is priced at a very similar level to the Ohlins, so...

Andreani is extremely interesting for the front. At $595, including springs (!), it's close to half price of the Ohlins NIX30. True, 20mm vs. 30mm pistons, but the Andreani gets pretty good reviews. I think they will provide a very nice upgrade for the front. Nice thing that you can get the entire package for about $1,500 F+R (after package discount from FastBike) and probably for $1,900 if you don't want to get your hands dirty.

·
Registered
299 Posts
of the fork.........🤔
Nitron haven’t updated their website yet but shock is available.
I had the ohlins shock with Andreani cartridges on my last 790 but there wasn’t so much choice at the time.
The suspension on my new 790 seems much better than my last one as stock particularly the front end which was really soft.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK so there are a few choices with this. I haven’t ridden the bike enough yet (or saved enough!) to make any decisions now. However I agree with you Pgm that the front end doesn’t actually feel too bad, it’s firm enough with reasonable feel but the rear shock is terrible! It was the same with my 1st gen MT09 and Husky Nuda - both great bikes let down by budget suspension. The problem is the connection with getting
the power down when the rear shock is just not responding to the variations in road surfaces. So on perfectly smooth roads (rare in the UK!)
the bike behaves OK. This would explain most of the early rave reviews that were on Moto GP inspired Spanish Tarmac!
Anyway I shall try and find out a little more info on this cost effective option for a full upgrade: https://www.emc-suspensions.fr/en/790-duke-2018/8009-pack-suspension-s2-for-ktm-model-790-duke-sportshock-2-cartridge-kit-annee-2018.html
Best
Booney

·
Registered
299 Posts
OK so there are a few choices with this. I haven’t ridden the bike enough yet (or saved enough!) to make any decisions now. However I agree with you Pgm that the front end doesn’t actually feel too bad, it’s firm enough with reasonable feel but the rear shock is terrible! It was the same with my 1st gen MT09 and Husky Nuda - both great bikes let down by budget suspension. The problem is the connection with getting
the power down when the rear shock is just not responding to the variations in road surfaces. So on perfectly smooth roads (rare in the UK!)
the bike behaves OK. This would explain most of the early rave reviews that were on Moto GP inspired Spanish Tarmac!
Anyway I shall try and find out a little more info on this cost effective option for a full upgrade: https://www.emc-suspensions.fr/en/790-duke-2018/8009-pack-suspension-s2-for-ktm-model-790-duke-sportshock-2-cartridge-kit-annee-2018.html
Best
Booney
I would get one that has a ride height adjuster this is where the ohlins lets itself down.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
491 Posts
The guys at FastBikeIndustries offered me Ohlins and Andreani options for the front and two Ohlins options for the rear.

Andreani is extremely interesting for the front. At $595, including springs (!), it's close to half price of the Ohlins NIX30. True, 20mm vs. 30mm pistons, but the Andreani gets pretty good reviews. I think they will provide a very nice upgrade for the front.
I opted for the basic Ohlins shock and Andreani Misano 20mm kit and can assure you both are leaps and bounds better than the OEM WP stuff.

I personally HATE progressive rate setups like this bike has from the factory - crazy soft for 70% of the stroke then way too firm, oh - then bottom out!

Both the front and rear now compress linearly and with control - no more need to hesitate in transitions or after bad bumps before initiating an input like a change of direction or braking.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I opted for the basic Ohlins shock and Andreani Misano 20mm kit and can assure you both are leaps and bounds better than the OEM WP stuff.

I personally HATE progressive rate setups like this bike has from the factory - crazy soft for 70% of the stroke then way too firm, oh - then bottom out!

Both the front and rear now compress linearly and with control - no more need to hesitate in transitions or after bad bumps before initiating an input like a change of direction or braking.
Interesting!
I think I know but can you just confirm the model of shock pls?
And did you do the install/use the proper recommended Ohlins fluid in the forks?
If you did install are there any special tools/techniques required?
Do you find that the steering damper now copes better?
Any other observations?
Thanks for sharing.
:smile_big:
Booney

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
491 Posts
Interesting!
I think I know but can you just confirm the model of shock pls? SURE! - KT 789 is the Ohlins part #
And did you do the install/use the proper recommended Ohlins fluid in the forks? I had both installed by a local suspension shop but he didn't use Ohlins fork oil, that I remember.
If you did install are there any special tools/techniques required? See above - although shock was a breeze and forks were too apparently - he did 2 790's in roughly 2.5 hours from start to finish.
Do you find that the steering damper now copes better? Actually yes now that you mention it. Zero near tank slappers since and at least 2-3 before.
Any other observations? I've noticed I don't like pizza crust, or chicks with a lot of tattoo's, and there was a really sketchy looking dood at the restaurant tonight - creep-y!!!
Thanks for sharing.
:smile_big:
Booney
Hopefully this (mostly) helps Booney.

·
Registered
67 Posts

YoungLion and I both had the same suspension installed at the same time, and just came back from my first set of track days on the newly suspended 790, at the same time I had well know suspension guru Dave Moss fine tune it at the track in between sessions. The bike performed great and was very easy on the Q3+ tires. Very good investment, bike was very easy to ride, almost like cheating😬

·
A d m i n .
151,021 Posts
YoungLion and I both had the same suspension installed at the same time, and just came back from my first set of track days on the newly suspended 790, at the same time I had well know suspension guru Dave Moss fine tune it at the track in between sessions. The bike performed great and was very easy on the Q3+ tires. Very good investment, bike was very easy to ride, almost like cheating😬
Congrats on the suspension! Dave Moss is a great fella. I really learned a lot from him.:smile_big:

·
Super-Moderator
627 Posts
Nice! Thank for sharing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
😂 I didn’t think it would be long before that would be mentioned.
I couldn't hep myself either ha ha. My next mod for the 790 will be a rear shock, looking at either an Ohlins or Nitron as we have a local Ohlins shop/workshop who also carries Nitron.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Congrats on the suspension! Dave Moss is a great fella. I really learned a lot from him.:smile_big:
When Dave Moss was in NZ, we went for a 160 km ride round the back roads with him and he progressively tuned our suspension as the front and rear units came up to operating temperature. I had my Suzuki GSX-S 1000 at the time with a Nitron rear unit. The work he did made an amazing difference, particularly to the front end.

Really nice guy and takes the trouble to actually teach, not just set up the bike. The first photo is Dave adjusting the front end of my bike and the second is him with his Tiger, holding an impromptu theory talk part way through the ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
925 Posts
This would explain most of the early rave reviews that were on Moto GP inspired Spanish Tarmac!
Where's that then. Around here it's pretty bumpy - Not UK pothole infected bumpy but not great,

Interestingly though the Austrian guy who is doing some engine mods says that as he's improved torque the rear end has more issues.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts