KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only part that needed bend a little was where it attaches to the calliper. When I lifted the front of the bike and pulled the forks to their full extent, the brake lines were a little tight, a little bending of a few millimetres stopped the lines from being tight. I do ride the bike hard, I do ride the bike hard on some very twisty roads, and the brakes have been spot on!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ohlins Suspension and SBS Brake Pads

I recently installed Ohlins Fork Cartridges and and the fully adjustable Ohlins Shock. Expensive mod but awesome. The bike absorbs the bumps much better but it is still firm and feels like it should have from the factory. Handles much better and has the adjustability to set up for track or canyon riding. The suspension feels great around town as well! Also for anyone looking for really good braking power I installed the SBS RS sintered pads. What a difference worth every penny! The part number for the SBS pads is 706 RS Street and Track Day Brake Pad. About $45.00 per caliper. I bought the suspension components from KYLE Racing in California.:smile:

·
Top Speed guru
76 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much were the suspension upgrades? I also live in CA.

·
141 Posts
Grippy, any tips on installing the shock? I'm planning on going the Ohlins shock myself. I'm a heavier and older rider and full preload on the stock shock doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
GOTJ installing the shock is easy. Ohlins gives you a very detailed installation manual. I used an ATV jack and a block of wood to clear the kick stand and the Exaust pipes. I'm pretty sure a car jack would work if your careful. If you have front wheel chalk that helps stabilize the motorcycle and keeps it straight up. You'll need a 14mm Allen socket to adjust the lower shock mount on the right of the swing arm. All the torque specs are in the owners manual so just follow that when torquing the bolts. Very easy job about an hour if you take your time. Good luck!

·
141 Posts
Grippy, Sorry to bother you again but I was wondering what shock you bought. I have been looking at the STX46 790D. There is also a 789D model with less adjustability and standard preload adjustment. I went to Kyle racing and they don't list either one nor any other for the 790 Duke.

Did Mike work up a custom shock for you?

·
Registered
51 Posts
GOTJ, I bought the Ohlins KT790 it's not on his site but he either has them on the shelf or can order the shock and have it really quick. Fully adjustable one comp, rebound, hydraulic preload.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Does anybody know the exact location of the front brake light switch ?
I am looking into fitting a Brembo front brake master cylinder and cannot see where the front brake light cable is on the bike.
I Looked on the parts fiche and still could not see it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Does anybody know the exact location of the front brake light switch ?
I am looking into fitting a Brembo front brake master cylinder and cannot see where the front brake light cable is on the bike.
I Looked on the parts fiche and still could not see it.
The brake light switch is a pressure switch located at the ABS module. Follow the front brake line all the way to the module. You shouldn't need to adapt any brake light switches to run the Brembo.

#17 on the parts fiche https://www.babbittsktmparts.com/oemparts/a/ktm/5d1cb38f87a8660c2865453d/antiblock-system-abs

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looking into fitting a Brembo RCS 19 brake master cylinder, which would also mean need the connecting brake line changing.
Not cheap but should vastly improve the braking power.
This is when I noticed that there is no obvious brake light switch wiring at the brake lever like most bikes.
My brakes are not as sharp as they were, and the lever needs to be pulled very close to the handle for effect
I may give them a bleed this week to see if that helps, but I do miss the Brembo’s one finger sharp effective braking that all my previous KTM’s has.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts