KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
When i test rode the 790 and 890 same day off 1 straight onto the other both set on Street mode i didnt find a great difference at all between the 790 and 890 ! the 890 had a bit more dig mid range and felt a bit quicker reving its nuts off but certainly not as you say in a different Universe ! and that was 1 of the reasons i went for the 790 as i saved over 4k and dont forget with the 890 you get an EXTRA 10ish BHP ! sod all really ! then have to pay for the Track Pack ect which you already get with the 790 . so what i saved will go towards suspension to get fully adjustable, twin Brembo's for the front ,i am still waiting for my Twin Can LeoVince exhaust, the Brakes on the 890 are deffo better than the 790 and that i would say is the biggest difference between the 2 bikes the brakes ! the suspension so-so and you could live with the standard 790 setup but i have already gone past its limits and have it squirming and bucking around so fully adjustable setup will be better for the way i ride and the amount of track days i do, when all my bits and bobs have been fitted to my 790 its going on the dyno for ecu setup after that it will be a proper stonking little thing.
In street mode the 890 is pulling a ton of power. They are NOTHING alike in track mode. My 790 would barely pull the front wheel after loading the suspension.. I can't keep the front wheel down on my 890 at full throttle. There is closer to 20 horse difference between the two and alot of torque under the curve. 790 Suspension was Harsh and unforgiving. The 890 takes everything the 790 did and turns it up to 11. You may have saved $4k off the start, but the 790's are worth nothing when you go to sell it, and you'll never recoup any of your mod money trying to make it compete with the 890, in which it never will.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
In street mode the 890 is pulling a ton of power. They are NOTHING alike in track mode. My 790 would barely pull the front wheel after loading the suspension.. I can't keep the front wheel down on my 890 at full throttle. There is closer to 20 horse difference between the two and alot of torque under the curve. 790 Suspension was Harsh and unforgiving. The 890 takes everything the 790 did and turns it up to 11. You may have saved $4k off the start, but the 790's are worth nothing when you go to sell it, and you'll never recoup any of your mod money trying to make it compete with the 890, in which it never will.
Life is lonely at the top:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
One good reason is the 790 is tiny for a big guy.
I am 6'4" and when on the 790 it looks like I am on a burro rather than a horse.
The 1290 is much larger.
That being said, the 790 was the most fun I have ever had on a bike.
After getting burned on a new Ducati with reliability issues, it was the reliability issues reported here that kept me from buying.
That and the fact that the dealer is 1 1/2 hr. away.
View attachment 5645
Dang!! You weren't kidding about the 790 looking like a burro when you riding it! You look like you're riding a 390!
Liking what im reading about the 790 here. Mostly leaning towards a used 790 rather than a used 1290.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts