KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I've unfortunately had an accident on my 790 and looks like it will be written off.

I'm considering getting a Yamaha MT09 SP as I've had a few issues with the 790 (oil, coolant and fork leaks).

Has anyone had longer term experience on both bikes? How do they compare, particularly with power delivery (I loved the raw low end grunt of the 790)

Thanks in advance

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
431 Posts
See my post #31 and onwards for my thoughts...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only fixed the countersprocket seal so far ... And it's started leaking again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How’s your chain tension? Thinking that too tite could add to the demise of the CSS leakage..
Yes, good call JD. It was one of the first things I checked when they replaced the seal. I ended up loosening the chain a bit more. I'm at the loose end of KTM specs. Unfortunately this has led to the throttle to be very snatchy at low rpm.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
431 Posts
The KTM in street or sport modes is MILES better than the MT-09 is for fueling and "snatchiness".

My 790 in track mode is on par with the MT-09 I'd say - both require a smooth hand and plenty of patience if you're doddling or commuting - the bonus with the KTM is that you can put the bike in street or sport for those times and use track only when you're really riding hard and never down around 4-5k rpm where the snatichness is noticed.

·
A d m i n .
151,126 Posts
Pretty sure the CSS leaking has happened to more than many people here. Thankfully it’s a warranty item, but annoying if it fails a second time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Only fixed the countersprocket seal so far ... And it's started leaking again.
I'd be interested to know what method you use to adjust your chain. The early 790 manuals had the chain adjusted too tight so they rewrote so its much slacker. This could be one of the reasons your seal is leaking

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd be interested to know what method you use to adjust your chain. The early 790 manuals had the chain adjusted too tight so they rewrote so its much slacker. This could be one of the reasons your seal is leaking
I got the instructions from the 2019 manual where they specify using the flat part of the swingarm

·
Registered
22 Posts
You will miss the sound of the 790. I rode MT-09 a few months ago before choosing 790 Duke. MT-09, no quickshifter, feels heavier, not as agile, but still not a bad choice. I understand the frustrations you've had although mine has been fine except radiator hose clamp was too loose and thus a slow leak of antifreeze. Easily resolved by tightening it up. Somehow I think the MT-09 would be more dependable but less fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts