KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the S22, they are amazing. No idea about wet performance. Might try the M7RR next because I've read good things but the mileage is supposedly bad

·
Registered
195 Posts
My buddy had M7RR on his Ninja 300, he'd get 6-8000km on a set and stick wet or dry. I rode it for a weekend and my dual-sport ass put it in hot at all the wrong angles in corners and had to fight to not bin it, but the tires were wonderful and stuck at well beyond my comfort zone. Plenty of much better riders in my area love them on better bikes. I was going to put a set on my bike but instead got a set of Michelin Power RS from the wife after she put two track days on them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Been riding the M7RR since I got the 790 brand new.
Already using my 3rd pair of them.

They are just awesome with the 790. Handling is, imo, top notch. They warm up quiet quick and the wet performance is just perfect (obviously I'm not going ham when them roads are wet. But for the usual wet-riding they work very well.)

As for track days, they work very well. But if you ride really hard, they might get too hot and start to slip. (Also lower the tire pressure once they get hot)

Overall all I can do is recommend them.
But as stated before; Nowadays, all of the "known" tires are pretty much very good. At big chunk are personal preferences.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting thoughts here on 'the best' tires for the 790 Duke. :) My back tire (original Maxxis) is almost worn and I think I will go for the S22's soon. But... my front tire (also still the original Maxxis of course) is only half way in mileage and as I'm Dutch - the economical people 💶 - I intend to only change the back tire en keep the original front tire on. If the wear ratio (2:1) remains the same, the back tire needs to be changed again when the current front tire is at it's end. :geek:

Unless you all say it's worth the extra costs to have the same type of tire on both wheels from the beginning and change the front right as well...? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Interesting thoughts here on 'the best' tires for the 790 Duke. :) My back tire (original Maxxis) is almost worn and I think I will go for the S22's soon. But... my front tire (also still the original Maxxis of course) is only half way in mileage and as I'm Dutch - the economical people 💶 - I intend to only change the back tire en keep the original front tire on. If the wear ratio (2:1) remains the same, the back tire needs to be changed again when the current front tire is at it's end. :geek:

Unless you all say it's worth the extra costs to have the same type of tire on both wheels from the beginning and change the front right as well...? :rolleyes:
To me it all depends on how you ride your bike, do you push it ?do you lean to knee scratching in curves ? Do you ride in cold weather?
The maxxis are not so good in cold and warm up slowly. So if you put only one S22 that is more gripy and warm up in no time you will not be able to use full potential out of it. It could even be unsafe to some point.
As for myself I’m changing both for Power RS and then if i keep going with the same model I’ll change one at a time.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
552 Posts
As for myself I’m changing both for Power RS and then if i keep going with the same model I’ll change one at a time.
Pat unless a dealer has old stock, there is no more RS - Michelin basically split the RS into 2 new tires - a GP, 50/50 track-street tire, and a new Power 5 I believe - 90 street/10 track if I recall what they claim on their website.

As for @Brian Gerrits - personally I think it's a false economy by only swapping a rear. I'd go for the full set and be on trusted, new rubber front and rear so the bike is balanced and you have all the confidence you might need. Plus who knows - maybe the front is cupping, or flat spooted a little. For the small increase in cost - spring for both ends and be a happier/safer rider.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pat unless a dealer has old stock, there is no more RS - Michelin basically split the RS into 2 new tires - a GP, 50/50 track-street tire, and a new Power 5 I believe - 90 street/10 track if I recall what they claim on their website.
You are right, it seem like those are the only one I will ever have ! Last time i look it was still on the website a few months ago. I’ve order them from Fortnine 3 weeks ago.
If I’m right the GP seems to be the closest replacement for the RS. I will cross the river when I get there.
thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I totally agree with your riding comments, @YoungLion. And this pushes me to indeed to go for 2 new tires.

But I don’t agree so much with the ‘small cost increase’. The front tire will cost me 132 euro which is a nearly 80% cost increase compaired to only changes the rear. Add 25 euros and I can order a new ergo seat which is also on my whishlist after I got a wooden ass (Dutch expression) during a 2+ hour ride. 😐

But as I’m writing this reply, it got me thinking 🤔 ... I can also go for the option to first change the rear tire first, go for a long ride and experience the riding in combination with the current Maxxis on the front. If it indeed doesn’t feel trusted, I can always change the front also quite quickly. 🙂

Like @Pat rides said, it’s a personal choice depending on your riding style. I’m not an extreme pusher, rather careful, so the limits I seek are merely in mind than on the bike. 🙈

I will let you know what has become soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
anyone with an 890r who hawe tried the s22 in the front? the cup 2 rear was nice but lasted for all of 2500km.. Michelin cup 2 in front i think lack a bit of feel.. hawe the s22 on the rear and cup 2 in the front atm

:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
anyone with an 890r who hawe tried the s22 in the front? the cup 2 rear was nice but lasted for all of 2500km.. Michelin cup 2 in front i think lack a bit of feel.. hawe the s22 on the rear and cup 2 in the front atm

:)
Wow... 2500 km is not much! Just roads or also trackdays?

I don’t ride a 890r but I do have the S22’s on my D790. Must say I’m pretty satisfied with these rubbers. Coming from the standard Maxxis the B’stones feel much smoother and more secure all around.

And I think also the wear is much better. I rode over 6k km till the rear Maxxis was at it’s marking point, the front had plenty mm’s left. Did change both tires to the S22’s and after 4k km the rear has flattend in the middle of course bit still has several mm’s left before it reaches it’s markers. Think I can easily double the mileage I’ve done so far to at least 8k km.

But ofcourse it’s not only the bike+tire combination. The rider itself also has a lot of (if not, the most) influence on the tire performance. I consider myself a cautious sporty rider: trying to stretch my personal limits without doing harm to my bike and myself. 🤭 But pretty sure I’m nowhere near the limits of my Duke and the S22’s. 😉

Hope this helps you out a bit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 4th set of tyres on the 790, recommended by my (new) tyre fitter who runs a 1290 Super Duke R. Pirelli Angel GT. Very happy so far both dry & wet. Good feedback, no problem pushing into corners or exiting. Occasional TC when pushing on, out of corners, but still not in any way a concern. I’m hoping to get 7 or 8k out of the rear tyre. 3k so far with very little sign of wear. (The chap recommending then gets about 4.5 on his 1290).
I will be riding through our lovely British autumn/winter, so I’ll update on how they perform.

Ride safe

·
Registered
66 Posts
OE supplied, then another set of OE (my bad planning). 3rd set Bridgestone T30 EVO. Disappointed with feel & wear rate. Now the Pirelli Angel GT, best so far.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well.... I've used 3 sets of M7RR and one set of M9RR. Used them for all sorts of stuff and a couple of track days. I found them pretty good and surprisingly good in the wet (of all things). One of the track days was wet - the tyres were well worn - and I wasn't the slowest out there.
But, I do about 9000 miles a year and find these tyres good for about 4500 maybe, so I have decided to fit Michelin Road 5s.
I have scrubbed them in and done about 500 miles wet and dry. Very impressed with both so far. I reckon they'd be fine on track (for me). So if these things last for say a year, then it is a no brainer decision for me.
Less aggravation and cheaper!
Fingers crossed.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts