KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
a d m i n .
151,011 Posts
There are quite a few tire responses in other tire threads, as well as in the "What do you do with your 790D today" plus off-topic thread, (I perused the 19 pages there, and copied the tire posts over here).

I'll look into condensing more posts into this thread, so like the exhaust thread, it's all in one place.

What tires do you like? Which have you used that worked the best for you on street, as well as track?

I know there are a handful of solid brands out there, so I will only mention that I've done a lot of product testing, (grin), with Michelin pilot power 2CT's. They work wonderful for street, a nice wearing center, as well as a dual compound outer half inch, which is a softer compound to provide more grip, when you teetering towards your knee and elbow against the tarmac.

After extensive testing with the Mich Road 4's, (now Road 5's), I'd prefer these for the street, as they provide excellent grip/wet weather, super longer lasting tread, and the same dual compound with the outer/softer/grippier edge, (2CT).

Personally, I never have used street tires on the track, it seems to work for many people, but I've only used race tires, (Michelin), for track days, as well as racing, and full wets, (for rain racing).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
After extensive testing with the Mich Road 4's, (now Road 5's), I'd prefer these for the street, as they provide excellent grip/wet weather, super longer lasting tread, and the same dual compound with the outer/softer/grippier edge, (2CT).
My only concern with the Road5 is (based on current but fairly limited experience on the behemoth) that sometimes - in the wet - I wish there was a little more feedback. I worry that they wont give early advise of traction loss. I don't ride near the limits of tyres anyway - but ....................

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
My only concern with the Road5 is (based on current but fairly limited experience on the behemoth) that sometimes - in the wet - I wish there was a little more feedback. I worry that they wont give early advise of traction loss. I don't ride near the limits of tyres anyway - but ....................
Apparently, the R5 carcass is designed to flex a bit more than some of its competitors to increase the footprint at bigger lean angles. I don't know whether this equates to a weaker carcass but I had 3 punctures in 4 months with Road 5's on my GSX-S 1000. It might have been due to sheer bad luck or the type of roads I rode on but it made me gun-shy about fitting them to the 790. A pity as I thought that they were great tyres in all conditions with a rapid tip-in. I may yet try them on the 790 just out of curiosity but for now, the Bridgestone T31's deliver the goods in all conditions. I'll do a proper evaluation when I get back from our road trip starting in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I recently switched from the OEM Maxxis (only lasted 6000 km) to Road 5. Much better tyres for the riding l do. They feel very much like the PR3 and PR4 l had for the last ten years. Great tyres imo

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is a lot more grip with a slick for the track day, they heat clearly average and also slower ...
For me the road tires, even the best, are made to be warm very quickly and withstand repeated braking and acceleration for track use, it usually ends up sliding from the rear to reacceleration ... On track I used slick Pirelli supercorsa SC2 tires.
On the road I stopped the tires which are only 2500 kms of life, so PR4, PR5 etc are very good.

The tires are in the head. :grin:

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
A few questions:

1. How many of you replace tires DIY?
2. If you do, what are your favorite tools?
3. What are your thoughts about wheel weights vs. tire beads?

·
Registered
304 Posts
A few questions:

I've replaced quite a few on my trials and trail bikes over the years.

My favourite tools are the Rabaconda (Gen 4) I bought a couple of years ago along with their 5 piece pro tyre lever set.

It's not cheap but really easy to use and incredibly well made - it's really sturdy yet it packs compactly into a nice included storage bag.

Works for wheels 16" - 21" - recommended.

On the off-road bikes I've also drilled rims to installed Rim Locks (grips the tyre bead to avoid type rotation when running with low pressures) ... in trials you run with very low tyre pressures - typically 3-4 psi so these are kind of essential.

I once ran in an LDT (long distance trial) where the rear tyre rotated and tore the tube valve completely off the inner tube - that was fun riding back to the van, sat on the tank keeping the weight forward off the rear that was completely flat.

For balancing I just use the Rabaconda axle bolted into a vice and use stick on weights.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A few questions:

I use to do it ever since my first 83’ YZ with simple 3x spoon lever and an home made bill breaker. I use to do my first 2 road bike as well ( way stiffer!!! ). Now as I’m getting old I still do my Raptor ones but i wont touch my duke for sure, I’ll be paying. As for tire beads I know some guys using that on cars and they are really happy with it. I think that I may try it on my next tire change as I’m going to have wheel sticker and weight aren’t good looking on bike ( actually I’ve rode many years with no balancing at all and didn’t have any issue)

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Had beads on my ZX6-R and they worked like a charm. Was looking to see what experience you guys have.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
A few questions:
1) Not anymore. Here it's dirt cheap to have them done where I get my tyres from.
2) The name varies - but they all work for a guy called Victor.
3) Free hand balancing - why change!.

:wink:

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Smart guy...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Smart guy... Thanks!
You're more than welcome :wink:

On a more serious note - Whilst I can see that beads and other similar solutions are fine on tanks, trucks and even Harleys. WHY would you want to add variable inertial influences to the unsprung weight? - Does Pedrosa, Rossi etc?

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You're more than welcome :wink:

On a more serious note - Whilst I can see that beads and other similar solutions are fine on tanks, trucks and even Harleys. WHY would you want to add variable inertial influences to the unsprung weight? - Does Pedrosa, Rossi etc?
I get you point. its not about the wight (you will be putting it on the wheel anyway) but the fact it is moving around.

The main advantages are:

1. They can be more accurate, in balancing, than placing weights on the wheel; and
2. Balance is not really affected by tire wear.

From my previous experience the feel was smooth and seamless.

Not sure what the big guys are using. I think their bike, wheel and tire specs are a bit tighter than my Duke, though.

Reactions: DaveNZ

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
True...

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I moved to Knoxville 10 years ago I was renting a Condo with a 2 car garage and space was at a premium. I bought a Nomar Cycle Hill tire changer (with the hitch receiver arm because I could not drill the floor), an Ingersol Rand twin stack compressor, a Marc Parnes Static Balancer and a Tusk balance stand. With some shrewd Amazon and Sale purchasing the total "kit" cost me $801.

A mean average for tire life on the street bikes started out around 2,000 miles on my bikes and 4,000 on The Girl's bikes. Nowadays we average a little higher at around 3.300 miles. My dedicsted sport bike is the 790D and it averages 2,200 miles a set of rubber. We average between 25,000 and 30,000 miles a year and we alternate between 5 and 6 bikes in the garage to handle those miles.

Last Fall I did a 5 day, 2,000 mile stretch where I did something I have done half a dozen times or so which is ride a 400 mile day in the mountains, get home around 10 PM, mount and balance a set of tires by around midnight and hit the road the next day at 7AM, meet the group 100 miles away for breakfast and do another 400 mile day in the mountains. The route to and from the ride went across the dragon through Deals Gap and then 28 into Franklin.

I love having my own tire changing setup. Static balancing works perfectly, my bikes are all uncannily smooth as a result of my meticulous balancing which takes very little time these days because I have installed 183 tires with my setup. The bead breaker section of the Cycle Hill finally failed this past winter but the replacement part is exponentially more durable by design and construction. I figure I have saved well over $5,000.00 doing my own tires and I have zero regrets in this regard. We buy a lot of bikes and we ride a lot of miles. If I don't like a set of tires I replace them instantly, life is too short to compromise a ride.

Today I have my own place and the Cycle Hill is bolted to the floor btw, really speeds up the process. Bridgestone S22s are a significant upgrade to the S21s and they work well on traction controlled bikes like my KTM, my BMW R1200R and her BMW S1000XR. For better life, near equal dry grip, and the same super light steering feel the Continental Road Attack 3's offer nearly twice the mileage at a much higher cost. Cost per mile goes to the S22 in sport mode IF you change your own tires, otherwise the Contis are a better investment. The RA3s are a top tier wet grip tire so a better choice for commuters. I used to test all the tires but nowadays I go for what I know works and I only change when the German mag Motorrad recommends something better which is how I learned of the Road Attack 3s.

For reference I live 57 miles from Deals Gap, NC and over half my rides go through the Dragon and the rest are Appalachian runs like the Cherohala Skyway, The Devil's Triangle or The Snake.

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Great post, @kebrider. Thanks for sharing.

Definitely some good info there, including regarding tire changing setup. Also, appreciate the review on the S22. On the top of my list for a replacement tire, for performance/mileage combo, at a very attractive price.

I am a few hours away, so I don't get to ride Deal's Gap as much. Shame. Maybe I will get to see you there one of these days.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bridgestone S22s are a significant upgrade to the S21s and they work well on traction controlled bikes like my KTM, my BMW R1200R and her BMW S1000XR.
Excellent post. My jaw dropped at how many miles you put on bikes a year. So you have confidence of the S22 in the wet? They're hypersport tires after all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is becoming increasingly difficult to find a modern sport tire that is truly bad in the wet. The Bridgestone S22 has proven to have great feel and traction in the wet but that is from a fleet of bikes that all have IMU enhanced traction control, ride modes and ABS. We back it down in the wet as well because why force something in the rain when a sunny day is just around the corner?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts