KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a lot of good tire info on the sub-forum, in separate threads. Keep it coming, please!

That said, wanted to have a master repository for tire info that will provide a concise and standard way of reviewing tires by members. Thought about a format like the following:

Tire make and model:
Main use:
Warm up:
Stability:
Traction (dry):
Traction (wet):
Handling:
Edge feel:
Thread life:

Free text:

Example to follow...

Mysta's 790D wt Mich Road 5's

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ordered a pair of Bridgestone S20evo which i've always liked, don't need them yet, but thought i'd get them while i had the money..
Im running the S21, i believe theres a new S22 out and are being raved about, I've scrubbed mine in to the edge ready for the track day. Excellent tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 KTM,790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2008 Kawasaki KLE500
115 Posts
Im running the S21, i believe theres a new S22 out and are being raved about, I've scrubbed mine in to the edge ready for the track day. Excellent tires.
What do you think of them? I has S20evos on the Z1000 and really like them. Just ordered some S21s for the RC8.

·
Registered
435 Posts
What do you think of them? I has S20evos on the Z1000 and really like them. Just ordered some S21s for the RC8.
I really like them, they feel great, but they are the only tires I've had on my 790, i didn't want the OEM tires they come fitted with and was happy to pay a little extra for some great tires, i have the PR5 on my Multistrada and on my 1290GT, but for the feather weight 790 i wanted stickers rubber, and I'm really happy with the S21, they were great on the track also, easily coping with the modest power of the 790. I was talking to a couple out at Wangamomona on Saturday (V4 Aprilia and Kawa 1000rrrrr) they both had just fitted the new S22, and both agreed the 22 were much faster steering over the 21, so i think the S21 might be a better fit for the fast steering 790. Great tires i think they will suit the RC8, they are a good price also in NZ.:smile:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Fitted a pair of sport touring tyres a few days ago ( Metzeler Sportec 01’s ) myself for the first time. Something I will now be doing from now on, as it was not a difficult as I thought.
Put back on the standard mirrors on as the Rizoma mirrors are no good for the higher seat, +air hawk I have, even with mirror extensions.
Now preparing the bike and my gear for next weekends departure and a tour of Spain, via Plymouth to Santander ferry. Minimal luggage, just a large’ish tail bag. (Same as KTM rear bag).
Bike is going well, and no problems to date. Except a very slight weep from the from brake reservoir. I will thread lock the screws as they did need a little tightening again. Chain adjusted, for the first time after tyre change. Not difficult if you follow the manual instructions.
Did a 215 mile ride out out to scrub the new tyres in. It’s been great riding weather here this week. Next ride will be off to Spain, even though it’s been hotter here this week.
Looking forward to some great motorcycling roads.

·
Registered
435 Posts
How do you like 'em?

This is my third summer with Road 4's on my ZX-14R, I love 'em! Michelin's are renown for their more triangular design for quick turn-in. I've been using one flavor or another of Michs for 2 decades, these Road 4's are fantastic, especially in the wet, and the dual compound helps when I'm leaned off good in corners. Can't wait to install the Road 5's. Still can't believe the life I'm getting out of the Road 4's. Normally, just a season from Mich Pilot Power Sport 2CT's.. Happy for the change.
I wasn't a fan of the PR4s, i felt the front was vague, and the rear would squirm with big torque power (1290GT and 1200 Multi) i now have the PR5s on both my big tourers, and they are awesome, quite a large margin of improvement over the PR4, they have addressed the vague front, and given the rear a sticky compound edge to the rear to stop the squirm, now a truly great tire, have done over 5000kms on both big bikes, looks like i'll get around 7500-8000kms easy, i normally wear a set out 4-5000kms if I'm lucky, so very happy with the 5s performance and longevity, a great all round tire. But for me doing track days and using the 790 for fast back road riding I'm sticking with the S21 and next will be the S22, this light weight 790 and its medium torque aren't to hard on tires, so good grip levels matched with decent milage.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
How do you like 'em?

This is my third summer with Road 4's on my ZX-14R, I love 'em! Michelin's are renown for their more triangular design for quick turn-in. I've been using one flavor or another of Michs for 2 decades, these Road 4's are fantastic, especially in the wet, and the dual compound helps when I'm leaned off good in corners. Can't wait to install the Road 5's. Still can't believe the life I'm getting out of the Road 4's. Normally, just a season from Mich Pilot Power Sport 2CT's.. Happy for the change.
I wasn't a fan of the PR4s, i felt the front was vague, and the rear would squirm with big torque power (1290GT and 1200 Multi) i now have the PR5s on both my big tourers, and they are awesome,
My views are the same as Dave. I had Road 4's on my Street Triple and early on the GSX-S1000. Great tyre on the Triple which was a light bike - could only just determine a slight vagueness when pushing the front end but outstanding in the wet. "Squirminess" on the GSX-S was quite pronounced. Then went to Roadtec 01's on the Gixxer and was very happy with wet and dry performance. They were even pretty good on a trackday. Changed to Road 5's out of curiosity. Turn-in was noticeably faster than with the 01's. Grip levels wet and dry were outstanding.

Unfortunately, I've only got one bike and my role with the Institute of Advanced Motorists means I don't always get to choose the weather I ride in. I'd prefer a sportier tyre like Dave but the Road 5 will cover all conditions long after I run out of talent :grin:

·
a d m i n .
151,079 Posts
I'm def. going with the Road 5's after these 4's are toast, prolly near the end of this Summer.

I suppose different bikes favor different shoes. My Ninja was pretty flawless with the 4's, although I never did a track day with that particular bike, however I did do quite a bit of high-spirited all-day, mountain riding and had zero issues entering turns with the front, or exiting hard on the gasss, (with the rear).

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm def. going with the Road 5's after these 4's are toast, prolly near the end of this Summer.

I suppose different bikes favor different shoes. My Ninja was pretty flawless with the 4's, although I never did a track day with that particular bike, however I did do quite a bit of high-spirited all-day, mountain riding and had zero issues entering turns with the front, or exiting hard on the gasss, (with the rear).
A lot of riders were very happy with the PR4s Kelevra, and for me they never let go, and were always predictable, but theres no way id do a track day on them, they were a great touring tire tho, the PR5 is a real step up, much more sporty side grip, but the PR5s do take about 500kms to come good, you will love them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Put another couple of hundred miles on since it's first service last week. I've also fitted corsa 2's, the standard height ergo seat, hh pads and put the ktm bar end mirrors up instead of down. Mirrors are loads better, tyres are great but i would say they are slightly less stable on fast bumpy roads, pads are perfect.
The ergo seat seem to push me into the tank but i'm used to this from riding supermotos. It did seem slightly better with a few miles on it so maybe it needs bedding in a bit. I'm also still adapting to riding a low road bike after my 701 but just love this thing.

·
a d m i n .
151,079 Posts
5200km's (3200 miles-ish) on the Dunlop Q3+ tires I installed when brand new and they are **** near toast, looking for a bulk buy on 6-8 sets over the winter for my buddies and myself for next season.
Have you ever used the Mich Road 5's? I found them to be a slightly heavier tire, but excellent wet n dry grip, as well as the typical Mich peaky center/fast turn-in. The wear is incredible, seriously, like twice the miles of other tires. Thoughts?

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
540 Posts
Have you ever used the Mich Road 5's? I found them to be a slightly heavier tire, but excellent wet n dry grip, as well as the typical Mich peaky center/fast turn-in. The wear is incredible, seriously, like twice the miles of other tires. Thoughts?
No.... but I'm weird when it comes to tires. :)

I've always thought about tires like I have suspension, it's the 2 things that I want absolute overkill on as they are the 2 largest components in me staying upright and not a road crayon. (Brakes being #3 on that list BTW)

I'll happily trade off tire life for ultimate grip - that 1 crash it might save in 5 years riding could be a life saver, and at the very least a budget saver.

Plus - my chosen tire - the Q3+, costs literally around 35% less than almost all of the competitors in my area so even if they offer 3500 miles instead of 5500 miles I'm still almost even dollar wise.

I've ridden on Pilot Powers, 2CT's, and Road 3's on various friends bikes over the past few years but none of them offer the characteristics I want - combine that with the fact that my personal riding choices mean I could care less about wet/cold weather handling - I'm a Princess who rides hard on warm, dry roads and the bike never leaves the garage if it's wet/cold out. It's a pleasure toy and for me it's no fun commuting in the rain or getting drenched through a fun set of twisties at 5 over the limit.

·
VIP member
466 Posts
I installed my PP Rearsets and swapped my completely cooked Pirelli Supercorsa TD tires (1600 miles and two track days) for my medium rare Michelin Power RS tires (900 miles and one track day). Going to the big track at Willow Springs for the first time in over a decade on Wednesday. It’ll be nice to go back. I raced there every month for five years. Pretty stoked!

·
Super-Moderator
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tire make and model: QCS Bombardier RS (soft)
Main use: Sport riding, track days
Warm up: Fast (5 minutes / 2 laps)
Stability: Very stable on the brakes
Traction (dry): High
Traction (wet): No experience
Handling: Fast off-center, linear
Communication near edge: High
Thread life: N/A

Free text: I've been using these tires for a month. Mainly street riding with one track day on them. They provide very good traction on the street. Good track day tire, although not at the level of XXX. Good stability under hard braking, quick turn-in and a linear feel throughout the range. Good communication as you get closer to the edge. Altogether, these tires enhance the lightness and quickness of the Duke's handling. Thread life looks reasonable compared to similar tires in the category, although it is too early to tell. I would recommend these tires for all around sport riding and the occasional track day. For track day only use, I would go with something more focused.

·
Super-Moderator
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am about ready to make a decision on my new tires and because I am a lazy a$$ I was hoping to have some good information in this here thread.

To my surprise, disappointment and somewhat embarrassment, there is nothing here...

Well, what do you have to say in your defense?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts