KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

181 - 200 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I fitted a pair of Barracuda A version mirrors recently, however using the bike today they are not much use without some extensions to raise and move them outwards.
I have the higher seat and there not enough adjustment in the mirrors ball joint pivot to see properly.
So I have some extensions on order, and will put the originals back on till they arrive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I gave up on buying handguards...after the first long ride, if I’ll feel the need for wind protection, I will get the Cycra Rebound handguards.

I sold the Maxxis tires and got the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II.
Installed a slim and light radiator guard.

I’m still waiting for the Rizoma Elisse mirrors, orange oil screw plug, kickstand titanium extension, and some reflective rims stickers (Ready to race, and white strips with orange KTM logo).

If I won’t like the mirrors, I’ll get bar end mirrors.

I just ordered the Puig Windshield Bat 43mm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I gave up on buying handguards...after the first long ride, if I’ll feel the need for wind protection, I will get the Cycra Rebound handguards.

I’m still waiting for the Rizoma Elisse mirrors, orange oil screw plug, kickstand titanium extension, and some reflective rims stickers (Ready to race, and white strips with orange KTM logo).

**** thats a large shield!

I got myself the rizoma sintesi mirrors and i'm happy with them! way better look and they are overall better than the stock

also order the engine covers for my ktm the powerparts one

·
Registered
39 Posts
FAR Viper Shield

Hi guys,

As you know, unfortunately there is no elegant way to mount bar end mirrors and lever protectors at the same time. This is why I just want to share what I found. This is the most compact and most beautiful set of mirrors + protectors I've ever been able to find on the market right now. I have already ordered these. All others in my opinion are either too ugly or too heavy or too bulky. Please let me know what you think and if you have found alternatives to these. Thank you! :)

Info:
Brand: FAR Italy
Model: Viper Shield

Attachments

·
Super-Member
595 Posts
I like that functionality. I'm still torn on bar ends. I would like them as I love the look of the 790 with bar ends, especially below the bar, but I'd rather have the safety of the stock mirrors. Please post up how those work for you once you get them installed!

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
I like that functionality. I'm still torn on bar ends. I would like them as I love the look of the 790 with bar ends, especially below the bar, but I'd rather have the safety of the stock mirrors. Please post up how those work for you once you get them installed!
There is a way to get the under-bar mirrors to be pretty functional. In requires the arm to point almost vertically down. I thought they were worthless, as initially installed by the dealer, but some tweaking got them to work well.

·
Super-Member
595 Posts
There is a way to get the under-bar mirrors to be pretty functional. In requires the arm to point almost vertically down. I thought they were worthless, as initially installed by the dealer, but some tweaking got them to work well.
Those are the PP mirrors right? And you have them pointing toward the bike as opposed to out?

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
Ordered and installed the mirror hole plugs. BTW, one right and one left hand thread is the right setup.

Also ordered and installed folding levers, from here.

I know, I know. Not brand name levers... Had very good luck with some eBay levers and rear-sets before (cheap me). worked for years on street bikes. These ones look great and fit perfectly but I did not like the way they feel. Something about the position and angle, compared to the originals that work well. Ended up going back to the original levers.

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
The list so far:

1. OEM bar end mirrors. Love them. If you set them low enough they should work.

2. +20mm seat from KTM -- taller and slightly more comfortable on the old butt. Mainly because I wanted to sit a little higher and more forward.

3. Wider, flatter bars -- Renthal 822 KTM Low Fatbars -- puts me much more forward on the bike. Bar set at forward position. I like it. Need to get used to how wide they are (810mm -- ~50mm wider than OEM and it's a lot).

4. Mirror hole plugs -- although using only one due to mod #6.

5. Front pads changed to EBC FA244HH -- best mod ever. I would recommend it to anyone who does not like the front brake feel. This one transforms the brake feel, for a mere $70.

6. Brembo RCS 19 M/C-- just because I found one on eBay for a great price :wink:. Better power and feel. Together with #5, provides all the braking I need for my daily (did not test on track yet) riding.

7. Shorty levers -- tried but did not like the angle on the after-market units I purchased. Changed back to OEM.

What's next? Maybe suspension, if I fee like spending a lot. Front rotors, but only when I need to change the OEM.

·
Super-Member
595 Posts
The list so far:

2. +20mm seat from KTM -- taller and slightly more comfortable on the old butt. Mainly because I wanted to sit a little higher and more forward.
So this sits you leaning forward more? I was thinking of getting this to help my numbass after a long traffic commute, but also to help extend my knees a bit more.

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
So this sits you leaning forward more? I was thinking of getting this to help my numbass after a long traffic commute, but also to help extend my knees a bit more.
It puts me higher and with the lower bars the position is more leaned forward. It works for me. As far numbasses go, I am riding a couple of hours at a time without any issues. It does provide a bit more legroom. +20 is not a huge difference, though.

Reactions: Chic

·
Registered
316 Posts

@kevo82 - How do you like the puig bat?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great, but horrible! :))

Meaning it’s the only decent windshield that should work fine, only if the mounting system would actually work...

Mine doesn’t, and one plastic clamp cracked...any speed above 120km/h will make the windshield lie flat above the handlebars.

The plastic clamps will slide on the handlebars, so you need a decent mounting kit for it to do it’s job.

·
a d m i n .
151,011 Posts
Love to see an RC fairing kit come out for this moto..

Anyone every consider getting race body work, and modding it for street use? Add clip-ons? :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great, but horrible! :))

Meaning it’s the only decent windshield that should work fine, only if the mounting system would actually work...

Mine doesn’t, and one plastic clamp cracked...any speed above 120km/h will make the windshield lie flat above the handlebars.

The plastic clamps will slide on the handlebars, so you need a decent mounting kit for it to do it’s job.

It looks like the Puig mounting system is similar to the MRA Customshield I have. Pool cue chalk helps a lot to keep the mounts from rotating back at 130 km/hr but the whole system is too flexible and the windshield moves around a lot. I got a second mounting set and attached it from between the bar clamps to just below the shield. It's triangulated a bit in both directions so it flexes much less and with the extra pair of clamps on the bars it never moves.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The plastic clamps will slide on the handlebars.
This stuff Captain Tolley - Find and Fix Leaks is excellent for stopping things sliding about. Just apply to the joins once it's all fitted up and it will penetrate in by capillary action and then dries to a gummy mass. No mess. Just follow instructions. Has the plus that no water will get in there so no rust.

181 - 200 of 207 Posts