KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
In part one he mentions that the China built engines (joint venture with CFMoto) will build engines with reduced tolerances/power for emerging markets.
Whoa.. :plain:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
We have transferred our 790 parallel-twin to the joint venture we have with them, so instead of putting in money, we handed over our intellectual property. And based on that engine platform, we helped them source everything in China to create an almost identical engine, but with reduced tolerances and some detail differences, the performance is a little bit less than we have here in Europe.
That is really clever business.

1) if it goes wrong it's not a KTM problem!. The word "almost" is important.
2) more tolerance in mfr-ing and less performance - will probably be more robust.

·
Registered
310 Posts
That is really clever business.

1) if it goes wrong it's not a KTM problem!. The word "almost" is important.
2) more tolerance in mfr-ing and less performance - will probably be more robust.
It's a good engineering design choice for markets with lower fuel qualities than we have in the west.

CFMoto seem a sound engineering company with a proven track record - the number of engines they build each year dwarfs KTM. They already build their own 500, 600 and 800cc engines for their 4 wheel business (quads, side-by-sides).

Can't but help that they have history with Austrian designers Kiska too for their small 150NK motorcycle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
At least North America will have the benefit of almost a full year of Chinese manufacturing before we see the 890’s. By then hopefully the quality will be spot on.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
76 Posts
I still muse over the term “reduced tolerances”. When I worked in engineering the tolerances would have been the allowable deviation from exact size, plus and/or minus a few thou (or microns). Hence reducing the tolerances would have made machining even more exacting with less deviation from theoretical dead size.
I suspect that they meant to imply “eased” tolerances, which is exactly the opposite and allows for a slightly ‘sloppier’ fit. It would be nice to know the motivation and reasoning behind this. I suspect that it will be driven by costs rather than engineering.
How do you interpret it? 🤔

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
IIRC - The reduced precision engines are aimed at countries where Hi-Tech maintenance is hard to come by. EU engines were going to be Austrian still.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally, I would not consider for a moment buying a motorcycle manufactured in China. In my experience, Chinese products are made to be disposable. I've not found anything made there that I would consider high quality. I've recently done quite a bit of renovation on a home, and became appalled that so many items simply are not available from anywhere but China. Absolutely would not buy a motorcycle made in China.
[/QUOTE
I was worried about this as well at least you can see tell the country of manufacture from the first few letters of the VIN. All the Duke 390s point to India, the 790s so far are all Austrian. Until they start with an "L" we're "safe". https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehic...VIN_codes)/World_Manufacturer_Identifier_(WMI)
What the "L" are you talking about🤣.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts