KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my 2020 790 i bought last sept is going iv had enough of the problems 1 after the other and last weekend was the final straw when it keep stalling and giving me the IMMOBILISER FAULT ERROR ! just so sick of it all, it started off not to bad when i first put my 950sm in px for it but within a month or so i noticed the anti wheelie was not working no matter if i had it off or on, then i noticed i could lock the rear wheel whenever i wanted with no ABS cutting in ! i darnt test the front wheel just in case lol, then the traction control did sweet fanny adams even on 9 it spun up on wet damp even dry but cold roads and no intervention whatsoever ! the headlamp started misting up inside upto about half way and the TFT screen has started to mist up same as the headlamp in very cold or wet weather, shame as its not a bad bike its low light and goes like stink but iv had it with all the electronic issues, dealer just fobs me off and tells me its fine or is sopposed to be like that ! so back to supermotos for me.

·
MotoGP Moderator
1,094 Posts
Sorry to hear. Better luck with next bike!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems, ive had two 790’s with no issues. Who’s the dealer? It does my head in when they dismiss an obvious problem with the they all do that sir attitude.
when mine went in for a service it came out half a litre short of oil but that was ok as well. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Who’s the dealer? It does my head in when they dismiss an obvious problem with the they all do that sir attitude.
I make a point of really knowing workshop guys. And if I'm allowed to watch them then I know they're not worried.
Noted that a "new" KTM place near me has a HUGE glass window, so you can see everything in the workshop. The place I go usually will let me stand in the corner.
If a workshop looks hurried - it is!.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I make a point of really knowing workshop guys. And if I'm allowed to watch them then I know they're not worried.
Noted that a "new" KTM place near me has a HUGE glass window, so you can see everything in the workshop. The place I go usually will let me stand in the corner.
If a workshop looks hurried - it is!.
Yes, had my 790 going on for three years with no problem whatsoever. Your issues should have been easily fixed by and decent dealer.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
351 Posts
We have a lemon law here in the states which will require the dealer or factory to purchase the unit back from you.

Does the UK have anything like that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we have Fit For Purpose in the UK, i would rather not say who the dealer is as i have other KTM's and i use them for all my parts ! and i have to go see them AGAIN next weekend because they want to put it on there diagnostic ! lets see. so ATM im scouring flebay ect for a 640LC4 or possibly 660 prob with the 660 it has no starter button kick start only ! decisions decisions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
we have Fit For Purpose in the UK, i would rather not say who the dealer is as i have other KTM's and i use them for all my parts ! and i have to go see them AGAIN next weekend because they want to put it on there diagnostic ! lets see. so ATM im scouring flebay ect for a 640LC4 or possibly 660 prob with the 660 it has no starter button kick start only ! decisions decisions.
Sorry, but all of this does not make sense to me. You have had that many problems that you have decided to sell the bike and the dealer is now going to run a diagnostic!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Btw, my 790 Duke is a 2019 model. Was it built in Austria? When did KTM moved manufacturing to China?

·
Registered
378 Posts
KTM still manufacture in Europe for Europe and North American markets.

They licensed the IP for the 790 twin engine to CFMoto to make reduced spec. machines for emerging markets. These may not even be Dukes at all, they could be CFMoto branded machines.

See this post and read the long interview with Stefan Pierer (KTM CEO) if you want to know more about their growth plans.

Check your machine's VIN for the country code of manufacture.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ombudsman.
Is there anyone who could forward me information about how to file a lemon law suit? I've been dealing with the same issue with this bike and headed back to the dealer five times. KTM has not been able to find a solution and are now clamming up and not responding. There is one month left to the warranty. In 50 years of riding I've never experienced anything like it from a company.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, had my 790 going on for three years with no problem whatsoever. Your issues should have been easily fixed by and decent dealer.
Amen. I’ve had 8 KTM’s over the last 12 years including the 790 Duke. I’ve not had a single issue with any of them.
Dont know if it’s simplybluck and random. Whatever it is I feel for you. Nobody needs that grief
Suggesting you get to another dealer. You’re still in warranty so get it in before you walk away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Amen. I’ve had 8 KTM’s over the last 12 years including the 790 Duke. I’ve not had a single issue with any of them.
Dont know if it’s simplybluck and random. Whatever it is I feel for you. Nobody needs that grief
Suggesting you get to another dealer. You’re still in warranty so get it in before you walk away.
I've had 3 KTM's over the last 11 years. Multiple issues with each one, including an engine replacement on my 2nd gen 990 SD. With the super duke they took care of business. Then ignored my complaints about the 390 5 years later, The 790 (an Austrian built bike) will be my last unless they step up. It's a shame really, because they really are fun to ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the one thing that needs to be appreciated is that KTM pushes the limits to make great bikes. One example the KTM 790R camp red to the SAFE Yamaha T7. I know I’d prefer the KTM. It Sam’s to me that most issues are seemingly minor and easily rectified but the marque is being let down by after sale service. Imo. Mine currently has the leaking output shaft seal that’s no bigg, my WR Yamaha blows that every now and then 🤷‍♂️. Ps loving the 790Braaaap!👍

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the one thing that needs to be appreciated is that KTM pushes the limits to make great bikes. One example the KTM 790R camp red to the SAFE Yamaha T7. I know I’d prefer the KTM. It Sam’s to me that most issues are seemingly minor and easily rectified but the marque is being let down by after sale service. Imo. Mine currently has the leaking output shaft seal that’s no bigg, my WR Yamaha blows that every now and then 🤷‍♂️. Ps loving the 790Braaaap!👍
I don't think KTM are pushing the limit with the 790. It's just crappy quality control. My 690 Duke was like that, and my 790 is in the shop right now, getting all it's leaks fixed before the warranty expires. Never had issues like this with a japanese bike. KTM needs to get their **** together. Especially with the prices you pay for a "premium bike".

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't think KTM are pushing the limit with the 790. It's just crappy quality control. My 690 Duke was like that, and my 790 is in the shop right now, getting all it's leaks fixed before the warranty expires. Never had issues like this with a japanese bike. KTM needs to get their **** together. Especially with the prices you pay for a "premium bike".
Besides the intermittent turn signal issue (dangerous), my 790 is leaking from the valve cover gasket on both left and right sides. With only 3600 miles on, I'm pretty sure it the VCG has never been removed since assembly at the factory in Austria.I feel for the owners of the Chineses built bikes. My Indian built 390 Duke is a hoot to ride, but the gas cap still doesn't align correctly and that's been replaced under warranty. The kickstand nearly fell off after a week of ownership, and the computer and clock are pure gobbledegook. Made in India. Almost expected. But not from Made in Austria.

Engineering is one thing; build quality and after the sale service entirely another. No doubt, their bikes are unique and very fun to ride, but the older I get, the less tolerant I am of poor quality - both in manufacturing and especially in after the sale customer service - and I'm not talking about the dealer here. Reputation is valuable currency. It can take a long time to accumulate, but can be squandered very quickly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts