KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I've just dropped of my 790 to my local KTM dealer because of a very loud engine ticking sound. Found out a couple of hours later that cylinder 2 has dropped a valve and cylinder 1 has some extreme valve wear. Bike has 14000kms on the clock. Anyone with a 790 duke that has had valve failures? Just waiting to see if KTM will cover under warranty as the bike is 8months old (bought new from dealer at a great price).

·
Registered
179 Posts
What is your service history? Assuming you had 1000km break in service but not due for next annual service yet. Could be your oil has broken down causing premature wear and I believe they had some crap cam issues earlier on. I feel the service intervals on these bikes (mileage) is too far apart. I have 6000km on my 890r and the oil looks quite dark. Might get it serviced before annual is due in August.

·
Registered
92 Posts
OUCH! that's not going to be a cheap date. I hope the damage isn't too extensive, but in my experience a dropped valve involves much more damage than just a loud ticking.. I'm talking the valve broke and dropped into the cylinder taking out the piston, cylinder, head, maybe even a cracked rod causing a nice new hole in the block. Either way, sounds like KTM is going to have one hell of a warranty case on their hands. I'm sorry to hear that...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OUCH! that's not going to be a cheap date. I hope the damage isn't too extensive, but in my experience a dropped valve involves much more damage than just a loud ticking.. I'm talking the valve broke and dropped into the cylinder taking out the piston, cylinder, head, maybe even a cracked rod causing a nice new hole in the block. Either way, sounds like KTM is going to have one hell of a warranty case on their hands. I'm sorry to hear that...
Yeah it's not good. Waiting to hear back from the dealer about how much damage has actually been done... Any reason KTM wouldn't cover this under warranty? Haven't done any mods to the engine/exhaust other than a slip-on...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: Just got a call from the dealer saying the oil jet was clogged. Just waiting for conformation that KTM will cover it. will update when i know more. cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts