KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
492 Posts
Ford did NOT invent the car!. I don't wear jeans - ever. Al Gore - Internet - please!.
Are you not aware that when addressing Americans it's best to use analogy's and reference's that they understand and appreciate - accuracy be damned!?

Notice I didn't use things like eye glasses, the calculator, or Paella (for the non-history buffs and non-Spanish, those are all things invented there).

:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have received mine yesterday and within the next minute unpack and installed it. Look nice and does a bit deeper and not really louder with the db killer in. But her is something funny .... I went for a 25km ride to the store and bank it is hard to say if it change anything power wise, i didn’t push it and obviously my subconscious would like to have more ! So I can’t say 🤔 but then a little later started the bike to go to work, while I’m getting gear up the db killer came out by it self!!!
Lucky me it didn’t append on the highway. So i tried it like that, not too loud, i actually like it, now i may feel that it lost a bit of pouch( not sure) My only concern now is that it run too lean without any kind of tune ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have received mine yesterday and within the next minute unpack and installed it. Look nice and does a bit deeper and not really louder with the db killer in. But her is something funny .... I went for a 25km ride to the store and bank it is hard to say if it change anything power wise, i didn’t push it and obviously my subconscious would like to have more ! So I can’t say 🤔 but then a little later started the bike to go to work, while I’m getting gear up the db killer came out by it self!!!
Lucky me it didn’t append on the highway. So i tried it like that, not too loud, i actually like it, now i may feel that it lost a bit of pouch( not sure) My only concern now is that it run too lean without any kind of tune ?
Here is the colour I got ....
1E8AA5D2-A436-413C-8567-94091027C329.jpeg

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
492 Posts
I also ran mine with the DB out on my 890R and LOVE the sound - its exactly what I was hoping for - rumble but not obnoxious.

For slip-ons the ECU can overcome and fueling changes but I think in reality the flow hasn't changed much from the OEM end can - all the hard work is done in the Cat so I think there's no need to add a fuel controller although of course they would help - no doubt about that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I also ran mine with the DB out on my 890R and LOVE the sound - its exactly what I was hoping for - rumble but not obnoxious.

For slip-ons the ECU can overcome and fueling changes but I think in reality the flow hasn't changed much from the OEM end can - all the hard work is done in the Cat so I think there's no need to add a fuel controller although of course they would help - no doubt about that.
You put it the right way(I’m not so good in english) about the sound. The cat does seems to hold on pretty much pressure. You are right the ECU should manage that. I didn’t feel it came warmer. I just don’t have the money to put an engine !

·
Registered
143 Posts
The stock muffler is straight through at least, so you're not changing from a chambered can to straight.

Mine arrived yesterday finally, there was a 10 day delay between ordering and when DHL actually had their hands on it. Still wrapped up on my toolbox at work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The DB killer is mighty aggressive, I'll take the inner cap out of it and try that. Fire up the decibel meter and see what we get.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any chance we can get a sound clip of the exhaust? DB killer out is what I'm looking for, but anything would be helpful.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
492 Posts
Naughty Canuck - naughty!. ☺
It's all said with love - I live so close to the US that technically I'm south of (almost all of) the Canadian/US border and have spent a LOT of time there. Other than one extremely negative experience, it's the usual "Big Bro, Little Bro" shenanigans and banter. Some of the nicest people I've ever met and befriended were racing in the States - amazing folks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I forgot to get a full throttle max reading from the stock exhaust before I removed it. Measurements done using a Check Mate CM-130 SPL meter, from 3 feet behind and about 3 feet high on a ladder step. A 3dB difference is double/half the actual intensity of the sound, and most people's ears perceive double/half noise level as 10dB. I'm including both dBA (filter matches your ear sensitivity, used for OHSA/etc limits) and dBC (catches low/high frequencies outside of your hearing range, like bass in your trunk).

Background level: 41dBA 50dBC

Stock exhaust:
idle 78dBA 91dBC
held at 7200rpm 99dBA 103dBC

Fakro, full dB killer:
idle 79.5dBA 91.5dBC
peak reading from full throttle brap to redline 109dBA 119dBC

Fakro, inner cap removed from dB killer:
idle 80dBA 92dBC
peak reading from full throttle brap to redline 112dBA 121dBC (first run I didn't put the screw in as it was jammed in good, killer shot out 10ft before rolling away)

Fakro, no killer:
idle 81dBA 93dBC
peak reading from full throttle brap to redline 113dBA 117.5dBC (yes dBC went down, killer increases air velocity at the exit and the meter picked that up)
@YoungLion 890 Fakro with no killer: idle 81dBA 93dBC, held at 7200rpm 99dBA 103dBC like stock

I rode home with no killer installed. If it bugs me I'll put the uncapped killer back in. I wear ear plugs when I fun ride, so it should be ok.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts