KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Thanks Mark, that's really reassuring! Thanks for the tip - will do. Did you have any difficulty with the spring tensioners, i.e stretching them far enough? Did you also get a strip of fibreglass-reinforced adhesive tape in the kit? I presume that it was to be fitted between the end of the pipe and the muffler to get a seal. I managed to bunch mine up slightly and it's bypassing fractionally. There's sufficiant tape for me to have another go and to lubricate it to help it slide.

I got a call from the KTM dealer yesterday to say that my replacement front rotors had arrived so I'm booked in on Monday to have those done.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
73 Posts
I ordered my "knock off" muffler on 29th October and it arrived here in NZ today. I must say that quality looks really good. The main reason for buying it is that I don't particularly like the styling of the OEM muffler but the weight saving is also a bonus. I'm not interested in extra noise so the baffle stays in.

Value for money? No doubt about it.

View attachment 5757 View attachment 5758
Hey Geoff could you supply a link to the one you got.

Thanks,

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Hey Geoff could you supply a link to the one you got.

Thanks,

Cheers.
Here you go: US $38.86 19% OFF|Slip On For KTM 790 DUKE 790 DUKE790 KTM790 Motorcycle Exhaust Middle Pipe Escape MotoConnect Tube Modified Muffler DB Killer|Exhaust & Exhaust Systems| - AliExpress

You get various choices. They apparently come either laser engraved with the Akrapovic name or with a heat-proof Akrapovic sticker. I went for the latter option and had no intention of applying the sticker

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks Mark, that's really reassuring! Thanks for the tip - will do. Did you have any difficulty with the spring tensioners, i.e stretching them far enough? Did you also get a strip of fibreglass-reinforced adhesive tape in the kit? I presume that it was to be fitted between the end of the pipe and the muffler to get a seal. I managed to bunch mine up slightly and it's bypassing fractionally. There's sufficiant tape for me to have another go and to lubricate it to help it slide.

I got a call from the KTM dealer yesterday to say that my replacement front rotors had arrived so I'm booked in on Monday to have those done.
Geoff, I don't recall any issue with stretching the springs far enough. And I didn't get any tape with mine, although the seal between the muffler and the pipe seems to be pretty solid. I'm glad to hear your new rotors are on the way. My bike is at the dealership right now. They're dealing with my warranty claim for new rotors and thermostat housing. Hopefully it gets approved. Let me know how you go when your new rotors are installed. I'm concerned replacements might just warp again, unless they've improved the quality.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Geoff, I don't recall any issue with stretching the springs far enough. And I didn't get any tape with mine, although the seal between the muffler and the pipe seems to be pretty solid. I'm glad to hear your new rotors are on the way. My bike is at the dealership right now. They're dealing with my warranty claim for new rotors and thermostat housing. Hopefully it gets approved. Let me know how you go when your new rotors are installed. I'm concerned replacements might just warp again, unless they've improved the quality.
Thanks for that Mark. I can feel a tiny amount of exhaust escaping at the join between the can and the link pipe but it's really quite small. I'm making the 320 km round trip to my dealer tomorrow morning. The weather forecast is warm and fine so I should be able to bed them in ok. KTM have also supplied new pads but I've asked that they're not fitted as my EBC HH pads are fairly new. I don't use my brakes much anyway apart from slow speed work, which is of course where the problem really manifests itself. I'll let you know how it all goes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for that Mark. I can feel a tiny amount of exhaust escaping at the join between the can and the link pipe but it's really quite small. I'm making the 320 km round trip to my dealer tomorrow morning. The weather forecast is warm and fine so I should be able to bed them in ok. KTM have also supplied new pads but I've asked that they're not fitted as my EBC HH pads are fairly new. I don't use my brakes much anyway apart from slow speed work, which is of course where the problem really manifests itself. I'll let you know how it all goes.
Have a great ride to and from the dealer Geoff! That's quite the round trip (mine is only 8 kms each way!) but with nice weather, it'll be a blast. I look forward to hearing your findings with the new rotors. Out of curiosity, did you notice the pulsing with the OEM pads, before you installed the EBC's?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Have a great ride to and from the dealer Geoff! That's quite the round trip (mine is only 8 kms each way!) but with nice weather, it'll be a blast. I look forward to hearing your findings with the new rotors. Out of curiosity, did you notice the pulsing with the OEM pads, before you installed the EBC's?
Thanks Mark. We live near one of the great motorcycling roads in the north island (The Coromandel Loop) so the trip is no imposition at all as it's pretty much all on back roads! 😊 . Yes, they pulsed with the OEM pads - only noticeable at lower speeds when you're feathering the brakes as opposed to applying them with more pressure. It probably makes no difference what pads you use at low speeds.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
73 Posts
Curious if anyone did the cat delete too. The pipe to delete the cat is only $31.

I was looking at Rottweilers dyno run with cat deleted and open can without a flash and the header pipe/exhaust gas temps went down by over 250 degrees. That is a huge difference.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes, they pulsed with the OEM pads - only noticeable at lower speeds when you're feathering the brakes as opposed to applying them with more pressure. It probably makes no difference what pads you use at low speeds.
Yeah, my experience is precisely the same. The pulsing is felt only when I'm almost at a stop (final few revolutions) but it is very apparent at that point. The only reason I ask about whether you experienced the pulsing prior to fitting the EBC's is that in my case, I hadn't noticed it with the OEM pads - only after fitting EBC HH pads. But I'm thinking it is probably pure coincidence. The tech at the dealership seemed to think it was more likely an imperfection in the surface of the rotors, than warping. But whatever the case, as long as they are replaced under warranty, I'll be satisfied!

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Yeah, my experience is precisely the same. The pulsing is felt only when I'm almost at a stop (final few revolutions) but it is very apparent at that point. The only reason I ask about whether you experienced the pulsing prior to fitting the EBC's is that in my case, I hadn't noticed it with the OEM pads - only after fitting EBC HH pads. But I'm thinking it is probably pure coincidence. The tech at the dealership seemed to think it was more likely an imperfection in the surface of the rotors, than warping. But whatever the case, as long as they are replaced under warranty, I'll be satisfied!
Hi Mark, now back home. It took 40 minutes for the workshop to fit the new rotors and for me to be on my way. I can't believe how much better low speed control I have in city traffic - much more pleasurable now. As you might expect, they didn't bite all that well initially but by the time I got home, they were perfect. The pad marks on the disk are absolutely consistent too. Photo of brand new rotor attached before I left the dealer. Oh, and I noticed that with the new muffler, there's no more popping on the over-run like the OEM one did! Good luck with getting yours properly addressed!
New rotors - Nov 2020.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Mark, now back home. It took 40 minutes for the workshop to fit the new rotors and for me to be on my way. I can't believe how much better low speed control I have in city traffic - much more pleasurable now. As you might expect, they didn't bite all that well initially but by the time I got home, they were perfect. The pad marks on the disk are absolutely consistent too. Photo of brand new rotor attached before I left the dealer. Oh, and I noticed that with the new muffler, there's no more popping on the over-run like the OEM one did! Good luck with getting yours properly addressed!
Hey Geoff, thanks for the update. That's a lovely, clean looking rotor, and after your ride back home, good to hear that the pads marks are consistent. That's a great start, and how it should be! The marks on my rotors are anything but consistent - it's very obvious where the problem areas are. Hope KTM North America agree! All the best.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Hey Geoff, thanks for the update. That's a lovely, clean looking rotor, and after your ride back home, good to hear that the pads marks are consistent. That's a great start, and how it should be! The marks on my rotors are anything but consistent - it's very obvious where the problem areas are. Hope KTM North America agree! All the best.
Here's a pic of the pad marks after 160 km. They still need to bed in some more but the important bit is that the marks are consistent round the entire disc. Like yours, mine weren't on the old set. An encouraging start!
Bedding in.jpg

81 - 92 of 92 Posts