KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
What are the chances that this thing is made off the same line as the real deal? Did anyone notice any blemishes or misalignment?

My thought was that these are "factory seconds" in some way. They didn't meet quality control and instead of sending them to the crusher, someone is selling them.

A muffler isn't a super complicated thing so copying it wouldn't be too difficult. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've run mine since day 1 without the insert and didn't even blow over at the track. No complaints here!
What are the chances that this thing is made off the same line as the real deal? Did anyone notice any blemishes or misalignment?

My thought was that these are "factory seconds" in some way. They didn't meet quality control and instead of sending them to the crusher, someone is selling them.

A muffler isn't a super complicated thing so copying it wouldn't be too difficult. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I'm finally broke down and bought a scorpion

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
135 Posts
Has anyone mounted this exhaust with the stock tail assembly?
It looks like the exit would be well away from the directionals.
I'm wondering about it melting the right rear signal.
Thanks
Bottoms Up!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Has anyone mounted this exhaust with the stock tail assembly?
It looks like the exit would be well away from the directionals.
I'm wondering about it melting the right rear signal.
Thanks
Bottoms Up!
It's quite far away from the stock signals, you're all good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well ****. Got my exhaust today but it looks like I ordered the one without the mid pipe. 😖😖 Time to order the mid pipe.

Still looks great! I'm just a dumb ass.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well ****. Got my exhaust today but it looks like I ordered the one without the mid pipe. 😖😖 Time to order the mid pipe.

Still looks great! I'm just a dumb ass.
[/QUOTE)
The Scorpion just came in looks great probably install it tomorrow. I was wondering about the midpipe thing myself before my loving wife convinced me I could order this one lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
Got the scorpion
on it was a breeze beautiful kit other than I flung one of my springs across the garage and cannot find it at the moment lol I don't know if it's louder but it sounds much better and I haven't tried the baffle out yet

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

ZERO. It's FAR smaller than the real Akra.. 100% guaranteed Chinese factory knockoff that really isn't a copy of the real thing at all. Just the logo and shape.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ZERO. It's FAR smaller than the real Akra.. 100% guaranteed Chinese factory knockoff that really isn't a copy of the real thing at all. Just the logo and shape.
Yeah. It's MUCH smaller than I expected. Like so small that I thought I bought the wrong thing. It's bigger than other exhausts I've seen for the 790 but you're right. No way in hell did this come off the same line as the real deal.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I ordered my "knock off" muffler on 29th October and it arrived here in NZ today. I must say that quality looks really good. The main reason for buying it is that I don't particularly like the styling of the OEM muffler but the weight saving is also a bonus. I'm not interested in extra noise so the baffle stays in.

Installation was easy despite no instructions and didn't need to use the supplied extra bolt or bracket. The package had 2 sets of retaining springs of different length, not entirely sure why. I used the longer ones and fitting them was the most difficult part of the exercise. I ended up using a piece of sturdy string as a windlass to stretch the springs and clip them into place - worked just fine.

Went out for a 100 km ride this afternoon as a test. Noise level was comparable with the OEM muffler. I thought that it was a tad less snatchy in town than with the OEM muffler but I'm sure that was my imagination 😊. Not interested in applying the Akrapovic decal which came with it. It is what it is.

Value for money? No doubt about it.

IMG_1833.JPG IMG_1834.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like mine a lot. I like the way it looks and how it sounds. It A LOT smaller than expected but that is irrelevant. I guess.

My springs were weird. The short ones were WAY too short. The long ones fit snug on the bottom but loose on the top. Not sure what their function is and if the lose one up top matter but 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Overall a solid investment for less than $100!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I ordered my "knock off" muffler on 29th October and it arrived here in NZ today.
Hey Geoff, I can vouch for the quality! It's surprisingly good, considering the price. I installed mine as a Covid project back in March, and it continues to look and function fine. Only thing I would suggest is to add a dab of Loctite to the baffle retaining screw. Mine loosened itself, almost to the point of the baffle falling out. Wouldn't have been easy to find a replacement!

61 - 80 of 92 Posts