KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i´ve done about 12000km on my 790 Duke and half the time with the original chinesium tires and the other half with the Michelin Power RS.
At about this distance the rear tire of the Maxxis basically looked like a car tire, i mean it was FLAT but looking at the Power RS it´s barely starting to flatten.

I can probably crack 1000km with this which is insane because this is supposedly a semi-track tire unlike the Maxxis which are purely a road tire.

So what my thoughts on the grip levels compared to Maxxis? Well in the dry it´s just mental, you get some heat in these and your brain will start getting sketchy before these tires do and even when they do let go its very very progressive and calm. I cant even count how many times ive had the front end just shift mid-corner due to some unexpected low grip and it just handled it beautifully.

For hard acceleration the Maxxis actually provides better grip for launching on normal to cold tires, with the Michelins i can have the traction control light up all through first and a bit into 2nd until it hooks up and goes but i haven´t tried doing a burnout before a run and see if that helps (plan on joining the local streetraces next summer)

I was caught out earlier today in absolute pissing rain and got a real good test of how they behaved in proper rain as well and was frankly mightily impressed, i can´t really compare with the Maxxis as i never really rode them in anything more than light drizzle but if acceleration was meh in the dry it somehow was really good in the wet, it seemed to thrive more on a wet surface relatively speaking.

Cornering was a tiny bit sketchy, i could feel the front end wander around a little bit when pushing my luck but overall a very nice wet tire despite it´s trackday nature.

The front tire might be the type of tire you replace because it got old rather than missing rubber.

So overall i would absolutely recommend this tire to anyone with a 790 Duke that uses it like the hooligan bike that it is.
I will no doubt use this tire for any future bikes except for the touring bikes which will get the Pilot Road 5´s for added wet weather capabilities and even more range.

Im not much of a reviewer but felt i had to share my experience with this absolutely incredible tire. 10/10 will definitely buy again. :smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the review. Good to know someone else's stock rear tire was done for after 6k km, thought there was something wrong with my style of riding ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the review. Good to know someone else's stock rear tire was done for after 6k km, thought there was something wrong with my style of riding ;)
I inherited a squared-off rear tyre when I bought my 790 used with just under 3kkm and it’s now looking very worn out in the middle at 4.5kkm. I don’t think I’ll even get to 6 on this, unless of course I just do corners!

There’s an excellent in-depth review for the Power RS on Multistrada.net but you have to login to view. I can copy it here or email it if any one’s interested. I already bought a pair on the recommendations of this and a mate from Switzerland who
has them on his 790D and describes them as “being glued to the road”! :devil:

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
This is my tire after riding the bike for more than 10000 km. Insane how fast they got to that stage. Got some new Pirelli Angel GT 2 on there right now. Looking pretty good so far, but I've kept the same from tire.
How do they handle? I am torn between the Angel 2s and the Power RSs.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Prolly can't go wrong with either, hombre. I'm a little biased as I only buy Mich.
I'm sure. I am not tearing up a track at all so either would be fine in my case. I am partial to Pirelli though. Had the Diablos on my old bike and those were glue to the road.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am glad to read this !! I use to ride with michelin 2ct (witch is getting old) and i loved it so much since it’s doesn’t get flat too quick and have real great grip when you lean to the edge. As @ GothTownDuke say even if it slip a bit (since we have really pore roads here it does append very often) it won’t put out of the road. have read about the RS witch is the upgrade from the old 2CT it suppose to be lighter and by default warmup quicker. also softer structure so it could fit the road defaults better. Now i personally can not compare with others, because i have love michelin 2CT so much that i didn’t try another one. So it will be the replacement for the dealer tire👍

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Few, have had anything wonderful to say about the stock rubber. :smile:
For what they are -- budget rubber -- i'd say they are pretty good. Wouldn't go racing with them, but KTM could have done much worse with the tires.

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts
Now i personally can not compare with others, because i have love michelin 2CT so much that i didn’t try another one. So it will be the replacement for the dealer tire👍
Can't seem to ever go wrong w/t PP 2CT's, I've gone though many sets, for a bunch of diff motos, but I'm sure the RS's are just next level. :wink:

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
I am glad to read this !! I use to ride with michelin 2ct (witch is getting old) and i loved it
Hey Pat,

I'm a huge fan of Dunlops so I stick with those since they launched the Q2 around 10 years ago - they've moved on to the Q3, Q3+, and now Q4 which I have in my office right now (2 sets) for this upcoming season BUT....

I ride with some seriously fast local guys and a lot of them swear by the Michelin RS's - they last longer than my Dunlops, seemingly have amazing levels of grip, and the profile works well for the guys I ride with.

Here's a decent video by Canadian online seller Fortnine - they have some wicked video's if you go to their channel - everything from which chain lube is best to what Helmet is best for each class.

RS info kicks in around the 4:05 mark but it's all great info IMO.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ride with some seriously fast local guys and a lot of them swear by the Michelin RS's - they last longer than my Dunlops, seemingly have amazing levels of grip, and the profile works well for the guys I ride with.
Thanks, good video! and you confirmed me that the next rubber will probably be the RS’s. As you said and it seems to be the case for many peoples, when you are in a family you stick around. Not that the other ones aren’t good, but I'm old and stubborn 😉

1 - 14 of 14 Posts