KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have felt the rotors have been "rough" since day one, and kept hoping they'd break in. I brought it up when I booked my first service and showed the service writer the rotors and how you can visually see areas of more and less scuffed up parts of the rotor. The tech test rode the bike and confirmed my suspicions.
Will keep you posted when the new rotors are installed.

·
Super-FastGuy
'18 Duke 690
616 Posts
My rotors were replaced under warranty on my 890R as well - they were warped from day 1 - KTM replaces the rotors and pads together as well - I was told the entire replacement including labor was well over $1500 - yowza.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have felt the rotors have been "rough" since day one, and kept hoping they'd break in. I brought it up when I booked my first service and showed the service writer the rotors and how you can visually see areas of more and less scuffed up parts of the rotor. The tech test rode the bike and confirmed my suspicions.
Will keep you posted when the new rotors are installed.
On my 890r one of the front rotors has visual high dark spots and the other rotor is evenly dark all around it. Since new there have been times when with light braking I can feel some pulsating in the brake lever. Had it in the shop for the brakes and other issues. They said the brakes were in spec and are perfectly fine. I previously owned a 18 Ducati Multistrada S and a 17 SD 1290r and the brakes on those bikes were amazing. The 890r brakes has great stopping power but feel "rough" to me also. Would like to try some Galfer wavy rotors and different brake pads if it was not so expensive. Please definitely report back on the new rotors. I am very interested in hearing the results.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my 890r one of the front rotors has visual high dark spots and the other rotor is evenly dark all around it. Since new there have been times when with light braking I can feel some pulsating in the brake lever. Had it in the shop for the brakes and other issues. They said the brakes were in spec and are perfectly fine. I previously owned a 18 Ducati Multistrada S and a 17 SD 1290r and the brakes on those bikes were amazing. The 890r brakes has great stopping power but feel "rough" to me also. Would like to try some Galfer wavy rotors and different brake pads if it was not so expensive. Please definitely report back on the new rotors. I am very interested in hearing the results.
If They hadn’t moved forward with the warranty replacement I would Have put a dial gauge on my rotors to measure the run out, if your bike is still under warranty I’d escalate it with some independent facts, or maybe ask another dealer for an opinion, I’d rather get free replacements that work as they should then pay the crazy high prices for motorcycle discs.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Bummer. Always teething problems with new bikes, having said that, it’s virtually the same as the 790.
The discs are very different - The 890R's are bigger.
I'd want to measure not just the rotor but the hub run-out. I have seen quite remarkable hub run-out on some wheels. Not, I will add, KTM.
One turned out to be wheel bearings pressed in incorrectly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
When you start to think about all the things that can cause uneven wear or pulsing at the lever, there's quite a few but many can be checked pretty easily

Poor or skipped alignment process when the caliper is removed/reinstalled
Floating rotors with dirty/corroded frozen bobbins where the rotor no longer floats
Warped rotors
Incorrect surfacing on the hub
Frozen caliper/pistons
Now you can add skewed wheel bearing to the list

Those are just a few off the top of my head that I've seen or experienced.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you start to think about all the things that can cause uneven wear or pulsing at the lever, there's quite a few but many can be checked pretty easily

Poor or skipped alignment process when the caliper is removed/reinstalled
Floating rotors with dirty/corroded frozen bobbins where the rotor no longer floats
Warped rotors
Incorrect surfacing on the hub
Frozen caliper/pistons
Now you can add skewed wheel bearing to the list

Those are just a few off the top of my head that I've seen or experienced.
Good list for older units, None of the above list should be an issue for an owner to diagnose for a new unit under warranty.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good list for older units, None of the above list should be an issue for an owner to diagnose for a new unit under warranty.
Personally, I pref running through some basic diags before going through a dealer service appointment. Even if it's something that would result in a warranty claim, I'd rather go in with an idea of what the issue likely is before I take it in. But, I don't fault anyone who'd rather just have their dealer handle it start to finish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts