KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks NICEEE! :D

...but we need to be aware that this is not the final design for the production. I believe the bike will be different, if not quite different from what we see on the teaser video. ;)

Cheers,

·
Registered
110 Posts
Rode one a few days ago and it was beyond EPIC. Best brakes I've ever tried on a motorcycle.

Crazy power and nimble handling. Question is where are you going to use it on the road...exactly why I bought the 790.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Somebody should give me one - so I can be objective. I promise not to cry in fear too often.
I'd love one but really don't want another bike you can only use in such limited use on the road...if you want to keep your license. It did leave a VERY lasting impression though :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was booked to test ride the 2020 1290 on Taupo KTM Track day. Virus killed that dream. But I've owned the 1290R and still have the 1290GT, but the word is this 1290R is something special.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was booked to test ride the 2020 1290 on Taupo KTM Track day. Virus killed that dream. But I've owned the 1290R and still have the 1290GT, but the word is this 1290R is something special.
Only other '1290' I've ridden is the original Adventure model, now called the Touring. The new SDR blew my mind and I've owned many bikes over the last 28 years of riding. Most of the litre sport bikes too

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've owned the 1290R and still have the 1290GT, but the word is this 1290R is something special.
The SDGT feels wrong when I sit on it - I can't explain it really. Just odd and I feel somehow top heavy. That may be the fixed frame fairing. But an SDR seems to cradle my bottie very neatly. And seems manageable, not that I'd ever challenge it anyway. Not ridden either of any year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rode one a few days ago and it was beyond EPIC. Best brakes I've ever tried on a motorcycle.

Crazy power and nimble handling. Question is where are you going to use it on the road...exactly why I bought the 790.

Since you own a 790 and rode the Beast, how does the beast compare on intuitivity, cornering agility..etc versus the 790?

Did you feel it far heavier, less prone for direction change?

I'm excluding the power part of it as obviously it is in a different league and require a proper track to use its full potential.

So apart from that, Beast vs 790?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Since you own a 790 and rode the Beast, how does the beast compare on intuitivity, cornering agility..etc versus the 790?

Did you feel it far heavier, less prone for direction change?

I'm excluding the power part of it as obviously it is in a different league and require a proper track to use its full potential.

So apart from that, Beast vs 790?
Keep in mind my ride was on a dealer demo bike so wasn't really pushing it.

I was very surprised how nimble it felt to be honest and it didn't feel as heavy as I thought it would. Not as light feeling as the 790 but that is not a surprise. The 790 feels like you can throw it around like a toy where the 1290 does require more effort to make it move. Took me a couple rides to get used to how easily the 790 turns into corners.

The seating position feels quite a bit more aggressive with lower, more forward bars, and higher pegs. Looks like KTM have gone in the same direction with the 890.

Brakes don't even compare to what the 790 has, they are seriously strong. Since the 890 has the same new brake setup it should be amazing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The SDGT feels wrong when I sit on it - I can't explain it really. Just odd and I feel somehow top heavy. That may be the fixed frame fairing. But an SDR seems to cradle my bottie very neatly. And seems manageable, not that I'd ever challenge it anyway. Not ridden either of any year.
The GT has a 23 litre tank, cornering lights and electronic suspension, and is about 19kg heavier than the the 1290R of that era. I ride with these bikes often, and they don't get away from me, the GT is deceptively fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
On a recent NZ South Island trip with 2 other 1290Rs. GT led most of the way. Was a great trip, 6000kms of hooning, and only pulled over by cops once for doing 138kms, and he let me off with a warning. NZ south island cops are great. Bottom picture, we dropped our gear off at Nelson and did the 27k windie Tataka hill. Great ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
The GT has a 23 litre tank, cornering lights and electronic suspension, and is about 19kg heavier than the the 1290R of that era.
And those are the things I liked about it (esp cornering lights - I have JWSpeaker Adaptives on the Triumph) - 19KG - I can live with.

But I recall felling unsure (unsafe?) simply sat on one - whereas the R did not. Not sure I'd trade in the 790 for one though. The 790 feels way lighter than it is.

·
Registered
415 Posts
And those are the things I liked about it (esp cornering lights - I have JWSpeaker Adaptives on the Triumph) - 19KG - I can live with.

But I recall felling unsure (unsafe?) simply sat on one - whereas the R did not. Not sure I'd trade in the 790 for one though. The 790 feels way lighter than it is.
Thats why i have both 790 and 1290GT, oh and a Multistrada to take the wife.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Full of Hobbits though, I've heard!.
If you ever get to ride NZs South Island, theres this road from Queenstown to Glenorchy, incredible lake and mountain views, just a dramatic landscape, and was a scene in the LOTR. Il hunt for a pic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts