KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'20 Street Triple 765
639 Posts
Thanks Evans!

Only head scratcher for me is the Fueling - my 890 is insanely smooth - miles better than my 790 was and on par for sure with my '18 765 RS. I'm not sure what mode they rode it in but I have mine locked in "Track" mode (cuz wheelies) and "Sport" throttle response and it's sublime.

Otherwise - I agree with assessments on both bikes - great article and in depth review - thanks again!

·
VIP member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Often people equate preproduction bikes that are sometimes given to the magazines with being cheaters. My experience shows that they are typically less polished than the ones released to the public. For good reason.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That was a great video to wake up to. I wish I could justify trading the 790 for one, but I'll just lust after the 890 from the sidelines for a while.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Nice write up - though that bit was never in doubt.
The result? - interesting.

I am however drawn to the QuickShifter comments. Even dealer-corrected my 790 was a bit glitchy. Fitting a Coober box (yeah I know - but it's true) cured all QS issues instantly.
We really need to get a COOBER box to @EvansB2 for proper testing.

·
a d m i n .
151,082 Posts
Really good viddy comparo as well as written piece. Really sold on the 890R

·
Registered
'20 890R
48 Posts
Nice write up - though that bit was never in doubt.
The result? - interesting.

I am however drawn to the QuickShifter comments. Even dealer-corrected my 790 was a bit glitchy. Fitting a Coober box (yeah I know - but it's true) cured all QS issues instantly.
We really need to get a COOBER box to @EvansB2 for proper testing.
The QS on my 890 is butter smooth and I actually prefer it over the QS on the 765 RS that I demo'd before deciding on the 890.

I was told by my dealer that the QS on the 890 is "adaptive" meaning that as you ride it learns your shifting pressure and speed and adapts kill time to it. As a result the QS frelse a bit rough for the first ~100 km.

·
Super Moderator
1,473 Posts
Interesting article and conclusion. Both great bikes. Both look and ride amazing. The Duke is a tad "different".

Prior to getting the 790, I was comparing to the hyper. An amazing bike. The decision had, mostly, to do with cost. The SP I liked was just too expensive. A few important upgrades later, essentially brakes and suspension, I am still way below the hyper SP cost with a much improved 790. Very happy with the choice.

But then, again, all are amazing bikes. Each by its own right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts