KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
447 Posts
Upgraded suspension even over the newly upgraded WP Apex kit on the 1290 for '20?

I was drooling over this bike at our local Vancouver bike show last week, can't wait to read the report Evans!

I'm guessing once again my invite got lost in the mail?

:)

·
VIP member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, special suspension. Raises the rear a bit, too. Amazing how much quicker it steers, and bumps that were unsettling the chassis with the stock set up were essentially erased.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
447 Posts
I’m not as...uh...aerodynamic as I used to be. So, the fastest I saw was 237 kph. Enough wind to mash my helmet to my face and blur my vision on the front straightaway.
Anything over 200kph on a naked is insane for windblast - no thanks, after a TD on my FZ-09 a few years back my neck felt like I'd gone 8 rounds with Tyson. That bike could only muster 220ish and even then only for 2-3 seconds but man was it exhausting. In comparison 288kph on my Gix 1000 was serene and calm, relaxing almost.

Evans - Was Portimao for US Journo's only or world wide moto-press dudes and dudettes?

·
VIP member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and the format was 20 minutes on track with just 10 minutes between sessions. I was so beat up by my sixth session that I pulled in about 5 minutes early.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Had a 1290R myself befor trading it on a 1290GT. i find the 790 far more fun and so much easier to ride, the 1290 only beats the 790 0n the straighter parts of the track, but the 1290 is fun pushing the rear tire to its limit out of fast corners, and popping wheelies at will. Very physical bike to ride, the engine torque would tie the stock suspension in knots. I loved that bike tho, so much fun for and all-round great bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
^^^ Pretty cool. Still the best naked on the planet............(till the street fighter comes out). but its a bloody 4 cylinder.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
447 Posts
Fantastic as usual Evans - thanks for sharing!

I appreciate your sacrifice in travelling to these exotic locale's, being wined & dined, rubbing elbows with legends, riding the latest/greatest, and all for us humble sod's who are gonna line up like lemmings to fork over cash for these things, and rightfully so! :grin:

Oh, and I'm right there with you, the track pack/tech add on package is an insult to consumers, build it in and own it - what possible reason would a manufacturer launch a flag ship, Halo bike like this and then neuter it for the masses?

A Duc Streetfighter is gonna be like $3-5K more - no need to try to keep the MSRP artificially low is there?

·
Registered
307 Posts
What a great read @EvansB2. I was thinking of switching over to the Bridgestone S22. Now my mind is made up. Really impressive how they've shaved so much weight off it, but it's still kind of portly for me at 460lb. I do a good job of adding heft to the package as it is :devil:

So you prefer street throttle on the track? I suppose that doesn't apply to the 790 because of the tamer power?

·
A d m i n .
151,138 Posts
Most excellent read for sure, @EvansB2.

That track must've been a killa experience, envious!

What did you think of the new Pankl gearbox compared to the previous model?

I agree with what you wrote regarding the price point and not including some of the requisite 'tronics. :nerd:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts