KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here it goes, the build thread.
As some of you may have have read in a earlier thread my new 890 ate a valve during its break in run. During the down time, awaiting a new motor from Austria, I took the time to do a few things while on the lift. Day one all clean and pretty with that Austrian smell... I will have to get pics of the Modified Yosh fender eliminator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man, this forum is moving too fast. You can't just casually mention your bike's engine ate a valve during break-in and jump right into a build thread! Those two events each deserve their own threads for sure.

Where are you in TX? I'm north of Austin, yet to break in my 890. Hopefully mine doesn't eat valves because it's going to be a very brief/aggressive "break-in".

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
434 Posts
Man, this forum is moving too fast. You can't just casually mention your bike's engine ate a valve during break-in and jump right into a build thread! Those two events each deserve their own threads for sure.

Where are you in TX? I'm north of Austin, yet to break in my 890. Hopefully mine doesn't eat valves because it's going to be a very brief/aggressive "break-in".
Agreed!

Break-in - I'm usually the same way - short aggressive break in but I'm not gonna lie, I'm scared to chance it with this bike so I've 95% adhered to the recommended break in with the rare "oops that went above the recommended rpm for a sec there"...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome following, tons of info and lessons to be had from this. I am going to make a wild bet that your ktm tech.

Upto 150-200 miles went soft and proper on break in
Then pushed little bit but still within 7k, good bottom and middle end helps, don’t miss the too much. And the. Went full bang by 500ish after new oil in. At 1300 miles now If I didn’t blew a valve till now I am hoping I won’t have to worry I suppose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok let me see if I can address things, Samco hoses...yes they sent us some to test fit and take pictures of for them.
I am not installing the engine myself, I work at a KTM shop and was just helping out with the install.
I am in the DFW area, on a casual spirited ride aka under 6k rpm's she was running great. Then coming out of a sweeping left hand corner it started to sound off....then the ticking started.
There really is not much to say after that, trailer-ed back to the shop...tore the valve cover off then the top end. Called KTM and explained what was going on and with a little help from "The Wolf" (I can't use his name) an expedited new motor was on the way. This one will go back for them to work out why it failed rather then us here at the shop. Even thou it seems pretty obvious why it failed.
I am sticking to the advised break in with this bike since I've never had a parallel twin before....
I will update as things go, if you have questions post them up and I will answer as best as I can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let's say some screws were missing by the valve guides. Once you let off the throttle there was not enough pressure to hold everything in place. I will try to get some pictures and a more detailed description when I can.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm breaking my 790 in on a dyno this week. We have been running heat cycles on it so I am hoping for no surprises on the dyno. Fingers crossed!! Good to hear they got you a new motor quickly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts