KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have a couple seasons on the Duke I thought I would offer up my review. First off the bike is super fun. One of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden. Simply fun. I never fails to make me grin and giggle. I have only done a couple things to make the bike mine. With less than 1 mile on it I installed GP cartridges and some dump truck springs up front and a Penske 8983 shock. I'm a 300 pound bear and ride the track 99.5% of the time. I also added Woodcraft rear sets and that's about it.

The bike has performed very well for me. In two seasons I have put 3500 miles on it on the track. No problems to report other than the fuel gauge is wonky now and then.

Things that I will be attending to.
The exhaust mid pipe gets in the way of my right heal and keeps me from always getting foot where i need it on the peg. I am looking for low mount solutions to get the pipe out of the way. I like the looks of the HP Corse but am afraid it will be too loud. One track we ride has restrictions on noise to keep the neighbors happy.

I also think I need to change the the front master to get a more firm feel. There are times when it feels a bit vague trail braking.

I did shorten the gearing by dropping a tooth on the front and that got me close.

All in all the bike is great as a track bike. The riding position allows me to ride for long periods of time without getting tired or sore. It's pretty easy on tires. The handling is mint. The bike changes direction so quick and and is stable at the same time. Very inspiring..

Other than a slight weep at the hose clamp coming out of the Tstat I have had non of the issues I've read from other Duke owners. It does use a touch of oil now on a three day event of hard use. About 100 cc or less. On par with my SV650

If you find yourself thinking about one of these for a track bike I say do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
NYST and Palmer Motorsports mostly. Always with Tony's Track Days.
Nice! I ride at Club Motorsports. I just dropped mine off for it's first service and I'm super excited.

Would love to hear more about your experience.

I've only got a few miles, but I agree with the suspension and brake comments. I'm a little bit lighter, but the pogo effect keeps me ultra-smooth on the brakes. Winter project for sure.

What are you doing for handlebars?
What are you running for tires?
Did you get your suspension stuff from Peter?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! I ride at Club Motorsports. I just dropped mine off for it's first service and I'm super excited.

Would love to hear more about your experience.

I've only got a few miles, but I agree with the suspension and brake comments. I'm a little bit lighter, but the pogo effect keeps me ultra-smooth on the brakes. Winter project for sure.

What are you doing for handlebars?
What are you running for tires?
Did you get your suspension stuff from Peter?
I'm thinking about a flatter more forward bar but honestly I have not found the stock ones that offensive. I think I could attack a bit better with a lower more forward bar.
I run Pirelli SuperCorsa TD tires and get great tire life and grip. The slide predictably and the feedback is solid. Not quite as good as the SC feedback but good enough for me at this point. That said, the front does provide good feedback and does not let go suddenly.

Yeah, PK takes care of my suspension needs. He knows his stuff and is at all the TTD events providing trackside service. Not to mention he's a friend of mine. Lol

The busy feeling over bumps when leaned is something I think I will work on next season. I will have to talk to Pete about that. I may be a bit too stiff.

Club looks amazing to ride. Someday I will have to sample it.

Ride On!!!!

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
Yeah, PK takes care of my suspension needs. He knows his stuff and is at all the TTD events providing trackside service. Not to mention he's a friend of mine. Lol
Are you talking about Peter Kates, from GMD computrack? He did the suspension on my race bike back when I raced at Loudon, also another bike of mine for super twins.
He did great work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you talking about Peter Kates, from GMD computrack? He did the suspension on my race bike back when I raced at Loudon, also another bike of mine for super twins.
He did great work.
Yup. Peter Kates Aka PK
He's not happy until you're not happy.. Lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
I started reading and then I thought, that sounds like Adam! LOL. Good to hear this feedback obviously. Looking forward to what changes to ride height, geometry and other things you are doing. Are you using 180/60 tire?

Change the brake pads along with a RCS19 and that should sort you out. I think as most have figured out, tires, brakes and suspension is all it takes for the 790 to become a 790R.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts