KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st service at SP Exeter.
Quickshifter & blipper feels smoother ( unless it’s my imagination).
As I carry the wife frequently on the back, I had the preload adjusted 3 clicks from the standard 5 clicks to 8 out of a possible 10.
Now this was a significant improvement, & not just my imagination.
The mechanic who tested the bike, said it was noticeably better solo on this setting than on the standand factory setting. ( I’ve yet to try it solo ).
For info I’m about 14 stone ( same as mechanic ).
Very happy with the service I received.
Definatley recommend SP ( no I’m not on commission lol).
Absoloutley loving this 🏍.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Interesting - I am only 66 Kg with my gear so I loosened mine two clicks (on 3) which is good for the bumpy side roads here.

The loaner I had for my service was standard at 5 and it was a bit nicer on the smooth stuff but too stiff for me on the rougher roads. I might go up one click to 4 and see how I like that.

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
Not surprised regarding QS. The reprogram the shift sensor at the first service. Was mentioned here before.

Nice to know you enjoy the bike... even more.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
141 Posts
Interesting - I am only 66 Kg with my gear so I loosened mine two clicks (on 3) which is good for the bumpy side roads here.

The loaner I had for my service was standard at 5 and it was a bit nicer on the smooth stuff but too stiff for me on the rougher roads. I might go up one click to 4 and see how I like that.
I am virtually identical weight and have my rear suspension set on click 3 from full soft. This gives me a more sag to cope with real world back lanes in Sussex, Surrey and Hampshire, allowing the rear to drop into dips and return again without topping out.
Manufacturers initial concern is to sell more bikes. So their first ‘customers’ are the press, riding around the Canaries on smooth tarmac. The diabolical state of UK public roads necessitates a more compliant suspension, even if it compromises the scalpel effect slightly.

Reactions: dma

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am virtually identical weight and have my rear suspension set on click 3 from full soft. This gives me a more sag to cope with real world back lanes in Sussex, Surrey and Hampshire, allowing the rear to drop into dips and return again without topping out.
Manufacturers initial concern is to sell more bikes. So their first ‘customers’ are the press, riding around the Canaries on smooth tarmac. The diabolical state of UK public roads necessitates a more compliant suspension, even if it compromises the scalpel effect slightly.
Exactly this - it's the same here with the roads in the Cotswold lanes which I like to explore, though the A roads aren't much better. Click 3 from soft is where I've ended up after trying 6 / 5 / 4 / 3 - the compliance for me is so much better for general riding.

I think the fork springs could do with being a touch lighter too for my weight but after riding the bike for over a year now I've decided I just can't justify the expense of new cartridges when the bike is so good already.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting. I sometimes take my wife on the back so increased the rear preload. I’m 11 stone, her slightly more. I set the shock to one click off maximum pre load for 2-up work, with the expectation that I would have to back it off when out on my own. As it is I have left it, as other than the occasional jolt off square edged bumps I find it still pretty comfy as is. At some point I will get a shock with hydraulic pre load so I can easily adjust settings between solo and 2-up, but I’m in no rush tbh.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts