KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right at the 1000 mile mark on my 2020 790.

Rear tire is starting to get tired but my enthusiasm for the 790 certainly is not.

Hands down the most fun, easiest to ride, creates more smiles motorcycle I have owned.

The fun thing about the break in period is feeling a little more power every time you take it out for a ride. Plus the brakes are fully bedded and the suspension is now freed up and hitting it's stride.

I have owned several vertical twins but never anything like the 790. The low end grunt and power delivery from that 75 degree crank is fantastic. I love V-twins and it does an amazing V-twin impersonation act.

The mid range power band really fits my style as I tend to live in the 4 to 6k rpm range. I have owned a couple of liter bikes but did not like to having to rev to the moon to get into the meat of the power. That is until Yamaha came out with that fantastic cross plane crank motor. A buddy has an FZ10. Man what a bike. If I were in the market for a liter bike it would be the one. Truth is I don't need a bike that will get me to a buck 50 in short order. My riding style and the roads I frequent have me in my sweet spot of 40 to 80 mph. Perfect for an old fossil.

The engineering on this little beast is amazing too. Stuff like putting the air filter under the seat for easy access is absolutely brilliant. Sure got tired of removing the gas tank on all my other bikes just to change the air filter.

And of course being able to flat foot this thing is so refreshing especially having recently owned a couple of tall monsters.

The 790 Duke is about as close to perfect as you can get in todays market. For me its definitely a keeper and most likely the bike I will ride into my sunset years and beyond.

Keep it on the rubber fellas.

Cheers.

Tim.

Property Town Building Tree House
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Registered
Yep - I have 3000 miles on mine and totally agree. I have a Superduke GT as well as a lot of my riding is 2-up with my wife, so the grunt and hard luggage is great for a bit of touring, but as a fun, all round bike the 790 is all you need for the road.

Registered
Agree every word HawkerJ. Those GTs are a nice bike though, lower seat than the adventurers. Was riding with guy this year who has one, he said you make that 790 go well..The panniers are quite small I think though. I'll stick with the 790 馃檪 Where's that coast picture at Gilo?

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rode the Super Duke GT a few times. Really fun bike too. That motor is a beast. I had a 2015 1190 Adventure S. Same motor but just a tad smaller. Super torque but sure does produce a lot of heat.

The heat under my butt and on my inner thighs, plus the really tall seat caused me to sell it after just one year.

How is the heat with your GT?

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to move to the UK HawkerJ..馃槈
Well let me guess Fred. Since the UK weather is usually on the cool side you welcome the heat from under the bonnet.

Where I live summer temps are at or well above 100 F/ 38C. During that time motor heat is not a welcome item. About the only benefit is tires warm up really fast.

Registered
I rode the Super Duke GT a few times. Really fun bike too. That motor is a beast. I had a 2015 1190 Adventure S. Same motor but just a tad smaller. Super torque but sure does produce a lot of heat.

The heat under my butt and on my inner thighs, plus the really tall seat caused me to sell it after just one year.

How is the heat with your GT?
I don鈥檛 find it too bad tbh. Even in the 30degC heat we had back in the Summer I never really had an issue with it. Obviously it gets hot when you鈥檙e stuck in traffic as most big bikes do, but I鈥檝e certainly had a lot worse on other bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts