KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Due to be collecting my new 70 plate Orange 790D from Northampton Moto at 8.15am tomorrow morning so starting to get a touch excited ....especially now weather has made a dramatic recovery over last few weeks constant showers.

Live over in Essex so have a reasonable trek to collect bike (200 mile round trip), hopefully everything will be ready for me tomorrow, ended up at Northampton Moto after my local dealer just could'nt get the stock in time. NM appear to have quite a lot of stock coming in on a regular basis (20 x 790's just delivered when i first called) which sales guy explained was because their dealer group hadnt cancelled all their orders when Covid struck like a lot of other dealers had. Another plus for NM is that they did an additional discount over the already low special offer price...... so more money in the pot to personalise bike.

Have been lurking on this site for a few months now since my last bike went, (Bmw S1000R) hadnt planned on getting another bike so soon but have really missed having one ever since letting the R go. Had the BMW for three years and it was an awesome bike, but this time I wanted something a little lighter and easier to manoeuvre than the BMW with the ability to make you smile without losing your licence, as well as being able to just jump on and go !!!

Test rode all the usual competitors including a smaller Duke but after I took the 790 out my mind was made up, a 10 minute demo turned into a good 1.5 hours and just as i got back to the dealer I had to pop back up the road for a few more laps of the local roads and roundabouts ......I really loved my S1000 but I have to say my first thoughts after riding the 790 were "sh*t ive been riding the wrong bike for the last three years" :) !

Over the past few days Ive had quite a few boxes of new bits delivered ready to go straight on the bike as I wanted an element of personalisation, too date this includes:

PP Ergo Seat
PP Pillion Cowl
PP Crash Bungs (more on these to come...)
PP Tank Pads
PP Rim Stickers
Bar End Mirrors
Tail Tidy
Givi Screen
Carbon Effect Tank Protector
Matching Key Protector (both from Italy)
Silencer Bracket (..need to lose the pillion pegs and grab bar)
TFT Screen Protector
Top mounts for brake and clutch lever to remove the mirror mounts.
Garmin Zumo Bike Nav with Headstock Mount (off the S1000) ...fantastic bit of kit !

Additional parts to follow once Ive decided on 'best' option, would appreciate any feedback as starting to think KTM OEM quality is not as premium as some manufacturers:

Heated Grips .....PP, Oxford or R&G ???
Brake & Clutch Levers....are the £50 ebay levers as good as PP ones ???
Slip On Exhaust ....leaning towards Remus matt SS .....anyone got any feedback on these, had them on bikes before and always well made and good sound ???
Tank Bag ...want something very small and light (due to limited space on tank) , currently leaning towards Givi EA123 4L ....anyone got any suggestions/experience of this bag ???

Quick question for the regular track day boys ...which are the best crash bobbins/sliders, really disappointed with the KTM bobbins just made of flimsy plastic so on there way back, should I go R&G, Evotech or someone else ????

Hopefully, all going well tomorrow will post some collection pics tomorrow, then before & after pics once accessories are fitted over the weekend.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Running r$g engine protection. Haven't tested it yet. Just heard GB Racing also has engine covers now.

·
Premium Member
KTM 790 Duke
45 Posts
EvoTech all protection parts apart from GB Racing they are good had them on my ZX I'll be ordering some, don't bother with knock off levers pp the way to go on them, look at Scorpion scarat end can they sound good and look good, once you start it turns into a habit plus I've just fitted the pp bar end mirrors which I highly recommend.(y) 😎

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for all the feedback guys and the pic Quick Kwack... looking good, gonna definately take a closer look at the Evotech bobbins, Oxford grips and possibly Scorpion slip on, however was quite impressed with standard silencer on my first long ride today.

Picked up the bike first thing this morning from Northampton Moto, got a great deal & good service from these guys so if anyone is still looking for a 790 maybe give Paul Fountain a call. Really nice guy and still willing to cut a deal despite demand outstripping supply, their showroom is starting to look very bare and he was telling me there are no more deliveries until 2021 now.

Weather was great for ride home & despite the bulk of the journey being motorway (as well as taking it easy for running in period) still had a blast riding back home, definately made the right choice, 120 miles done on day one :cool: and no sore bum or back either.

Spent the rest of today fitting all my new parts which took a lot longer than expected especially when you discover some suppliers don't even bother with fitting instructions nowadays.

Took some before pics and already looking a 'lot' different (better) so once ive finished fitting last few items (tail tidy & screen ) will take some after shots & post up.

Thanks again for all the advice, planning my next outing for this weekend as keen to get first service done before winter sets in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick pic of the 790 now its been on a diet of improvements & upgrades.....the box of parts that came off weighed in at 9kg's !
Left to install is the RRG rad guard which arrived today and some upgraded front pads as found the standard ones a little wanting in the bite dept.
Also have a set of KTM branded gloves on the way from Triple D Motosport who supplied the bulk of the PP upgrades, great service, good prices (with extra discount) and fast ship (y) (y).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.