KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, yesterday while a mate was getting his 1290SD serviced i booked a test ride of the new 1290R 2020. I took it out to Raglan, 80km ride each way. nice sections of corners to ride and get a good idea how the new beast goes. Well its insanely fast and thats staying under the 6000km rev limit. Man i loved it, i adjusted the suspension and WOW its sublime. And now its in my garage. Wife wasn't too impressed, but i set her mind at ease when i said they are trading both the 1290GT and the 790. I'm so sad to say goodbye to the 790 as having recently getting the suspension to my liking. But i wanted to down size my collection especially having a Multistrada and 1290GT. So made sense to keep the high milage Multi and get a new 1290R. It can do my fast touring with mates and now be my track day weapon.

Registered
Awesome!!! I was very impressed when I rode the same model a couple months ago. I have never ridden the previous gen SDR but KTM have done a lot right with this version.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Mayhem.................freda i have some cheep going suspension going for your 790. Got a mate who bags it first, but he's miserable and won't pay much for it, said 2/3rds the cost plus throw in link pipe and IXIL muffler and other bits, will see, but I'm not giving it to him.

Registered
Curious how the handling feels coming from your 790? I've read the new chassis is RC8-based, and a huge improvement over the old 1290.

I saw one (a 2020 1290) in the flesh for the first time last week, and it looks like KTM have stepped it up in the fit and finish department, as well - it looked a lot more like a $17k bike than it used to. It was really nice.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its actually very nimble OrangeAid, very similar to the 790, and it really is a different bike to the Gen 1 and 2 1290Rs. Engine is very smooth down low, and it pulls hard in 3rd at 2000 rpm. Ive only had it in Road mode so far, but on Friday when i drop the 790 off on the trailer, ill take the 1290 in the van and get the 1000km service done and get the track package fitted (electronic down load) this apparently gives it a 4th map, as it has Road Street and sport, the a map you can customise for track day settings. (think thats how it goes) Pic of the 2 models, i had the original 2014 1290R and traded it for the 2016 1290GT, now traded GT and 790 for the 2020 Beast.

Registered
I think the best part was when you explained that to convince your wife, you just had to tell her 2 bikes become one and she said "ok". Brilliant mind...brilliant bike !!
Congratulation

Registered
Its actually very nimble OrangeAid, very similar to the 790, and it really is a different bike to the Gen 1 and 2 1290Rs...
Yeah, that's what I've heard. I watched an Italian "super naked" shootout recently and they described the Superduke as the quickest steering - which isn't something you really expect when you hear "1300cc v-twin".

It has subtitles for anyone interested in checking it out...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the best part was when you explained that to convince your wife, you just had to tell her 2 bikes become one and she said "ok". Brilliant mind...brilliant bike !!
Congratulation
Im still getting a bit of a cold shoulder, could last a week. But a mate is picking up the 790 suspension and giving me a fist full of dollars, imagine the smile when i tell he "WE" made money on the deal, and i slip her a few lazy $50 notes. Wont tell the rest will be spent on extras for the 1290. :)(y)

Registered
I have two friends with SDR's, and they CANNOT keep up with my 890 on our tighter curvy roads.. Straight roads are another story..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.