KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Indeed - Typo. Comes out about 9% shorter than stock iirc. That's going to make a mass of difference mid range. o_O

·
Registered
23 Posts
Make sure to get the rubber dampened one. There are rubber free cheaper ones
Appreciate the thread -- decided to buy a rubber dampened 15 tooth rear (definitely changing) and a 42 tooth front (in case I want to change) and JT Sprockets are apparently very sparse in the States right now........managed to buy a set from Italy however and it was STILL cheaper than what I would have paid domestically! Go figure....

·
Registered
395 Posts
Appreciate the thread -- decided to buy a rubber dampened 15 tooth rear (definitely changing) and a 42 tooth front (in case I want to change) and JT Sprockets are apparently very sparse in the States right now........managed to buy a set from Italy however and it was STILL cheaper than what I would have paid domestically! Go figure....
Not sure you’ll get them to fit? 🙃

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure you’ll get them to fit? 🙃
Figured I'll start out by dropping a tooth in the front as that seems to be a common improvement along with a higher quality chain..........if I decide to jump up a tooth in the rear I'll at least have the option to play around with!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think PGM was meaning you swapped the sizes for front and rear. I already have wheelie issues with my 890 so more torque multiplication (-1T up front) isn't going to help me much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think PGM was meaning you swapped the sizes for front and rear. I already have wheelie issues with my 890 so more torque multiplication (-1T up front) isn't going to help me much.
Ohhhhhhh yeah sorry it was late when I was on here!!! Yes, that would make for quite a jacked up ride indeed! Haha! 15 tooth front, 42 rear is what I meant!
Yeah, I'm excited to see the difference.......taking possession of the new 890 R this week so once I get through the break-in I'll see how I like the 16/41 gearing first. Might as well have the options on hand if I decide to tweak things a little. Going to be commuting 100 miles a day on wicked, kick-ass twistie Sierra Mountain roads so it'll be cool to check out all the options!
Thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ride it for a while and see if you really need to change it. All depends on what roads you are on and the speed you ride. I honestly find myself wishing for a taller 6th gear on the highway and going lower would make that worse. First gear is already pretty low and if you grab a handful of throttle, the front in coming up in a hurry so make sure you leave the rider aids on as you learn. It is stronger than a lot of liter bikes down low and it is very lightweight. Once you get it broken in, you'll see what I mean. It is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ride it for a while and see if you really need to change it. All depends on what roads you are on and the speed you ride. I honestly find myself wishing for a taller 6th gear on the highway and going lower would make that worse. First gear is already pretty low and if you grab a handful of throttle, the front in coming up in a hurry so make sure you leave the rider aids on as you learn. It is stronger than a lot of liter bikes down low and it is very lightweight. Once you get it broken in, you'll see what I mean. It is a lot of fun.
My plan exactly! Thanks a ton for the advice.....it's all greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
114 Posts
FYI - the gearing is the same for both the 790 and 890R. I have also found that gearing commander is off with respect to the actual speeds you see at those RPMs in each gear. I find that the speeds are a little lower on my GPS than what is shown there.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
FYI - the gearing is the same for both the 790 and 890R. I have also found that gearing commander is off with respect to the actual speeds you see at those RPMs in each gear. I find that the speeds are a little lower on my GPS than what is shown there.
I am not really concerned about the speed more on how it feels in certain gears with my butt dyno.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just as a point of reference. I run a -1 front.

Yesterday I was out and minded myself to a small test. Gear vs OEM speedo.
A usable non sporting rpm/gear test. Good roads but with traffic. And a fair sprinkling of Police and Cameras. So more or less legal.

imo 6th is too tall for 100kph even with a -1. I'd say 110-115kph is a reasonable 6th gear trundle speed beginning.
130kph is barely above half revs. And 160kph happens fast with no gear change.
Much below 85-90kph and I change to 4th.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Given the wide, substantial, and very flat torque curve, I'd say you have a lot of choice in gears. So if you are limited to such low speeds, seems like stock gearing isn't going to be a huge hindrance. This motor isn't wan you have to rev out to make serious power or torque. If you are really wanting to match gearing to road speed and after effectively limited to 130km/h, why not go -2T up front and maybe up 2 or 3 on the rear. Who needs first gear anyway? ;-)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Not sure you can get away with a -2. But +18 rears are available from SuperSprox.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Given the wide, substantial, and very flat torque curve, I'd say you have a lot of choice in gears. So if you are limited to such low speeds, seems like stock gearing isn't going to be a huge hindrance. This motor isn't wan you have to rev out to make serious power or torque. If you are really wanting to match gearing to road speed and after effectively limited to 130km/h, why not go -2T up front and maybe up 2 or 3 on the rear. Who needs first gear anyway? ;-)
Not sure what you're getting at no one is talking about going to extremes. My thought instead of spending the money on a rear sprocket i can spend $29 for a 15t on my primary to see how it works for me. That's whats it's all about in the end is how it works for me.

·
MotoGP Moderator
906 Posts
Thanks for the graphs. Front -1 remains a strong candidate. Very cheap and easy switch and a good compromise of pro/con.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts