KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this bike (2018 790Duke) is 99% used for communting to work, in heavy traffic, with a part through a suburbon area with lots of roundabouts (Circles for our South Afrikan readers).

I'm finding it tricky to negotiate very tight turns (typically 90degree) whilst also cancelling the signal and resignalling whilst also feathering the clutch.

I can try not singalling (not good as oncoming traffic thinks i'm going straight)
I can try just going faster (i'm not super comfortable here, we're talking large potholes, school children, wet manhole covers)

what i've been doing is having the throttle all the way off and coasting round with the clutch out. This works most of the time but is difficult to do smoothly espeically when you are braking into the junction

I thought a rear sprocket with more teeth would be a good idea?
It will reduce my top speed (not really an issue as i'm 99% in the city) but i'm hoping it will raise the revs a bit so slow manuervers are easier.

Has anyone had the same issue?
has anyone installed a larger rear sprocket? what was the effect?

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
I took the easier/cheaper route and swapped the front sprocket for a 1 tooth lower one - 16 down to 15 I believe. It's similar to roughly going up 2.5 teeth on the rear sprocket and I love the change - much better for what you describe as your challenge.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I will be dropping to 15 from 16 sometime this month. If that proves to be insufficient then I'll also add one to the rear. But not spoken to anybody yet who's also needed the extra rear tooth.

41:16 = 2,5625
42:16 = 2,625

41:15 = 2,733333333
42:16 = 2.8

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
So a questions to those who went 1 tooth down up front... recommended?

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
So a questions to those who went 1 tooth down up front... recommended?
Best bang for your dollar mod - $30 plus a tiny bit of time or shop labour for a much more responsive bike.

Lowers top speed by 9mph if that matters to you though.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Best bang for your dollar mod - $30 plus a tiny bit of time or shop labour for a much more responsive bike.

Lowers top speed by 9mph if that matters to you though.
Not really. 6'2" rider on a naked bike is like a sail on a yacht...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Both of my bikes are down one in the front. I sure as heck don't need to be doing 200+ on this bike, but hooliganing sign me up!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i got the bike back from the dealer. it does seem much smoother to start and happier at low speeds but i'm not sure if it's just in my head. There is one particualr roundabout where i can almost go round it in first without pulling the clutch in and today was no change. So not really sure if it was worth it.
will give it a few more days.

Also got a new dashpod under warranty, it's so clean!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, had another day or so, yes i think it makes a difference. it's not comfortable on that roundabout, but it is manageable. It seems silly to redesign the drivetrain of a bike for one roundabout but i use this to get to work everyday, and the roundabout is just by my house so literally every journey will include it. it's not a huge difference though. if the bike is 'almost' right then this will help but if you are finding the gearing way out for your style of riding this isn't the panacea (imho).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The mechanic did mention that but stated I would need a longer chain. It all got a bit expensive at that point

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you've dropped one on the front - adding one on the back should be no issue.
Supersprox have reopened their ONLINE store in the EU - so once I can get to my dealer.........
Yup, I know it's easy to do but under warranty I am cautious.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I took the easier/cheaper route and swapped the front sprocket for a 1 tooth lower one - 16 down to 15 I believe. It's similar to roughly going up 2.5 teeth on the rear sprocket and I love the change - much better for what you describe as your challenge.
I'm thinking of going the 15T front sprocket route. 6th gear seems too tall - I can barely get into 6th on most of the roads I ride here in the Lower Mainland, and it sounds like going one tooth less on the front is a bonus for commuting too. Where did you buy your 15T sprocket? Are they available from KTM dealers?

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
I'm thinking of going the 15T front sprocket route. 6th gear seems too tall - I can barely get into 6th on most of the roads I ride here in the Lower Mainland, and it sounds like going one tooth less on the front is a bonus for commuting too. Where did you buy your 15T sprocket? Are they available from KTM dealers?
My dealer had it in stock - $24 - easy peasy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts