KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Great write up Geoff, well done for putting the effort in. One question, have you known a few dodgy chicks in your time?? Hey look forward to catching up with you sometime on the road...May be Wanga pub.
Thanks Dave, enjoyed doing it. Hahaha - one in particular springs to mind when I was about 20. If it was in today's style, she'd be covered in tattoos, wearing Doc Martins and not be above sticking a nail file in your eye if you annoyed her :grin: . Super-bright and great fun but it was never going to last - I hope she had a great life. I have - have been happily married for nearly 47 years now!

Haven't been to the Wanga pub for 3 or 4 years now - stayed overnight last time. Look forward to catching up with you too!

·
Registered
2018 KTM,790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2008 Kawasaki KLE500
165 Posts
Not so much a hate but an annoyance. I have mucked around with the position of the switch gear but can't seem to get the indicator switch where I don't have to take my hand off the bar to operate it. Thumb too short I guess.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not so much a hate but an annoyance. I have mucked around with the position of the switch gear but can't seem to get the indicator switch where I don't have to take my hand off the bar to operate it. Thumb too short I guess.
Same here lol

·
Super-Member
595 Posts
So far the only thing I was completely annoyed with is the lack of trunk space under the pillion. I completely expected some room to place a lock or gloves or a hat or something, but I barely fit the tool bag in the vertical slot behind the front seat. The rest of the electronics don't give enough room to put a rotor lock in there. That sucks IMO. Other than that, I love the bike!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Me too, bud

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had mine over a year now. Love the power and smooth engine and the looks. Don't 'love' the following:
The exhaust (previous thread has encouraged me to order an Arrow Pro Race Titanium slip-on)
The indicator being slightly too far away from thumb
The quick-shifter is erratic in terms of smoothness, both ways.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had mine over a year now. Love the power and smooth engine and the looks. Don't 'love' the following:
The exhaust (previous thread has encouraged me to order an Arrow Pro Race Titanium slip-on)
The indicator being slightly too far away from thumb
The quick-shifter is erratic in terms of smoothness, both ways.
+1 for the erratic quick shifter. I'm still under 1000 Miles so I chalk my difficulties to the ongoing learning curve, but when I brought it into the dealer for the 600 mile service they said that quickshifter problems were a consistent theme.

I actually really like the exhaust. My previous bike (2009 Aprilia Shiver) had a Leo Vince and it was too loud. Mine is a controversial opinion of course, but I use my motorcycles for everything: commuting, touring, canyon carving, etc, so it's a difficult niche to fill with conflicting priorities for each use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
+1 for the erratic quick shifter. I'm still under 1000 Miles so I chalk my difficulties to the ongoing learning curve, but when I brought it into the dealer for the 600 mile service they said that quickshifter problems were a consistent theme.

I actually really like the exhaust. My previous bike (2009 Aprilia Shiver) had a Leo Vince and it was too loud. Mine is a controversial opinion of course, but I use my motorcycles for everything: commuting, touring, canyon carving, etc, so it's a difficult niche to fill with conflicting priorities for each use.
I'm a bit split on the exhaust. Sometimes it looks like it really works but then I think no. I'm like you though in that I want the after market but don't want it to be too loud. Te DB killer will remain in for me.

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
The exhaust (previous thread has encouraged me to order an Arrow Pro Race Titanium slip-on).
Are you buying the one that includes the DeCat as well?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you buying the one that includes the DeCat as well?
No, just the slip-on. I want to keep the price down as far as I can. I figure if I need more power I just twist the throttle more :). Truth is, I mostly only ever ride at 3/4 speed these days. The weekend warrior days are behind me - though he does raise his head once in a blue moon :)

Do you run an after market?

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
Do you run an after market?
I recently purchased, so I'm still in break-in mode. I like to purchase aftermarket once, but my mind keeps flipping between DeCat or not.

I like that the Arrow with the DeCat pipe, looks like it add a bit of back-pressure to the system, as opposed to the straight pipes replacements with other systems, my only fear is that it will be too loud. I don't want it muffled like stock, but nor do I want it to be a 'look at me' via the law and my neighbors.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 1 thing I hate about it is changing the rear tire. Putting the brakesystem back in place is a ***** and it feels like you need 36 hands to handle everything at once. Otherwise it's fantastic for me.

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
The 1 thing I hate about it is changing the rear tire. Putting the brakesystem back in place is a ***** and it feels like you need 36 hands to handle everything at once. Otherwise it's fantastic for me.

Reinstalling the rear wheel is kinda a mild pain in the ass with all bikes no? Do you find it more so with e 790?

·
Registered
56 Posts

Reinstalling the rear wheel is kinda a mild pain in the ass with all bikes no? Do you find it more so with e 790?
Yeah because the brakepads keep falling out when you miss and have to restart again. Plus it's all made so tight nowadays and you risk damaging the rim with the brakesystem to get it back over the slider. I might be doing it the wrong way but it looks like the only way to do it. But hey, it's only once every 4 months so it's not that bad.

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
Yeah because the brakepads keep falling out when you miss and have to restart again. Plus it's all made so tight nowadays and you risk damaging the rim with the brakesystem to get it back over the slider. I might be doing it the wrong way but it looks like the only way to do it. But hey, it's only once every 4 months so it's not that bad.
I'm sure you're doing it correctly. High tolerances do add to the challenge. :smile:

I usually find/make a piece of wood, (the perfect height), to prop under the new tire, (while on the rr stand), to make the wheel, perfectly level with the swing-arm. Also, I often use a wood dowel, (before sliding in the axle), to make sure it's all lined up. Getting the rr caliper lined up, is always the pita though.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts