KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Fave flavor of Brake Pads?

30K views 82 replies 33 participants last post by  648 
#1 ·
I was thinking the stockers are decent, but I always have changed out the pads on every bike I've owned.

It seems I almost always go with EBC HH pads, now I know there are prolly even better pads out there, but if it ain't broke..? The EBC's give me a sharp bite, which I enjoy.

What's your flavor?

#11 ·
I/m about to replace my oem pads with the EBC pads - in chatting with my tech friend he said he didn't think the pad change would make any difference in the "mushy" feel of the brake lever - I have no gripe on the oem brakes
but would prefer a bigger initial bite - from anyones experience is that the case ? thanks

#8 ·
Good thread. Great info.

Brakes are OK, as is, but I miss the initial bite. Seems like a pretty widespread complaint. EBC HH are always a safe bet. Used to go through a lot of Galfer HH on my CBR. I will wait to hear a bit more before replacing.

Reactions: Stewart
#9 ·
I used to go SBS RS in previous bikes and very satisfied.
I'm thinking of them also for the Duke to get some initial bite, but I wonder if SBS DC might be the way to go this time.
DC is not performing as well when cold, but not horrible. Still I wonder if it's inappropriate for a mostly relaxed road use.

#13 ·
Fitted the EBC FA244HH. Same as installed on Evans' bike and not the EPFA. Did not ride it yet. Will do tomorrow and report back.

BTW, one interesting thing I saw when pulling the old (practically new) original pads out: they say SBS 24HH Sintered. So it is not a junk pad to begin with. Looking forward to wee what the EBC will feel like.

#15 ·
OK. I owe all y'all (my favorite NC expression) a review of the new pads. EBC FA244HH, as recommended by others here.

Let me say that different pads are probably the best sub $100 you will make in this bike. I can't think of anything that will cost so little and make such a difference.

Rode a 80 mile loop early this morning, with the roads relatively empty. I had a chance to test the brakes on my usual route, as well as practice some spirited emergency braking exercises from (up to) 70 to 30 mph.

1. Initial bite, which is completely missing from the stockers, is strong and manageable.
2. Brake feel is very consistent, from initial bite to complete stop. Very easy to modulate and helps with trail braking.
3. Lever effort and lever travel to achieve desirable stopping power are significantly reduced(!) Made me go back to two fingers on the lever, immediately.
4. Prior to changing the pads, I thought I might have to bleed the system due to front end mushiness but it seems that it had more to do with the brake feel and lever force and travel that I needed to apply in order to make the bike stop. The pads changed that completely.

Any doubt I had regarding the front braking system components (M/C, lines, calipers and discs) is gone, now that the feeling I was looking for is there. I completely understand that M/C, caliper or disk replacement will result in more/better braking, but I am not sure it is necessary for my street riding. Track experience might prove different.

Of course, there are other pads out there (SBS, Galfer, EBC EPFA, etc.). The stopping power and feel offered by the EBC FA244HH is perfect for my street riding and desirable brake feel.

I would encourage anyone who does not like the original braking feel and performance of the 790 to (at least) start with pad replacement. It might be enough to get it where it needs to be without spending hundreds (of your favorite currency), if not more, on more elaborate and engaged system changes.

#16 ·
I changed my front brake pads Day one of ownership, after my experience of the test ride on the demo bike. (EPFA244HH Pads). They did make a difference for a while.
However now having done about 6 k miles the front brakes are now like sponge bobs brother and I am of the opinion they need some proper hardware changes. You should not need to bleed your brakes every six months. So a new Brembo RCS 19 brake reservoir will be replacing the standard and that Will make a difference, and some give consistent braking to match the performance of the bike.
I cannot tolerate the standard iffy brakes any more.

#18 ·
Thanks 790 forum dudes and dudettes - after reading all this info I'm gonna spend the extra cash and splurge on the EPFA 244's from EBC - I'll likely do a couple Track Days next year so the extra performance will come in handy I'm sure.

#23 ·
If with "road" you mean "road legal" I have to strongly disagree.
I have had 4 different set of pads on my CBR600F2 in a year doing some track days in the meanwhile and I could tell the difference even with the old and lousy calipers and master cylinder connected with new lines in place.

#24 ·
Changing the pads from the original does and did help, however you are right in saying a new master cylinder is the biggest step for improved braking.
That’s why I fitted a new Brembo RCS master cylinder, and now my braking is great, but I would be happier if they fitted Brembo’s as standard, even if it did mean paying a bit more for the bike.

#32 ·
My understanding is that trail braking can be done with front brake only, or rear brake only, or both?

For general riding, I find I trail the rear brake more often, tight low speed corners or maneuvering, which puts a lot of wear on disc and pads; hence I was seeking opinions.

Is there any merit using a less aggressive rear brake pad like organic or semi-sintered; and sintered pads on the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.