HOW TO: Bobbins for Paddock Stands - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Post HOW TO: Bobbins for Paddock Stands

Hi All,
So this is a very simple guide, which might be of use for a beginner or someone who hasn't had a bike without a centre stand.

Bobbins?
They are called Bobbins, Pickup Bolts, Swingarm Pickups, Paddock Stand Bolts, Paddock Stand Sliders or pretty much any combination of that

What do they do?
They let you use a paddock stand to securely hold your bike with the rear wheel off the ground.

A Paddock stand?
One of these:

and lets you do this:

Why?
Lots of reasons, It makes lubing the chain really easy and cleaning the bike...

What do i need?
  • You will need the bobbins, I picked mine up from Aliexpress for $5 delivered . They arrived quick and were well packaged.
    (I don't make any money from this link, buy from whereever, I'm not your supervisor)
  • A very large allen key in Imperial for no good reason. 5/16's to be exact.
  • Loctite 243 threadlocker (go for the blue liquid, medium strength, you don't want to have to use a blow torch to remove them)

What do i do?
With the bolt through the bobbin put a single small drop of threadlocker on the first 2 or 3 threads

find the corresponding bolt hole on your swingarm, it is there and doesn't have a cap, screw it in hand tight, not hulk strength, less than a jar of pickles. If you want to get specific, around 6NM of torque.

Your done!
If somone knows a better was of getting inline images without using an external host that would be great (only 6 images to an album!?)
I'll be adding more as i do them, hopefully tomorrow the engine protectors and the new levers.
J D and EvansB2 like this.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Alternativel just buy a stand with u shaped brackets and no need to modify anything as it just hooks under the swingarm. Cheap as chips on evilbay..
Chic likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

That is true, my Paddock stand came with the U bars too. However my paddock stand is cheap and it never felt as easy to use as the bobbins, especially when it was one person.
J D likes this.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:24 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
Excellent write up Magnets!! lol

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:56 PM
QCS

Super-Moderator

Thanks magnets!

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:05 PM

Do you know the bolt size for these. The ones I bought came with M10 x 1.5, which doesn't seem to fit. Got some 1.25's and they don't seem to fit either. Don't want to force it and bugger things up.
J D likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:30 AM

I purchased the ridiculous overpriced OEM ones but would not recommend them. They have very narrow lift channels (almost too narrow for my old style race stand) and the metal is quite soft. They almost started to round out with a standard Allen key tightening and l’m no Gorilla on the tools. The Orange colour is nice but wears off easily too 👎👎
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:19 AM

Word of warning. The OEM bobbins are made of very soft alloy (nearly rounded out the Allen slot) they are also very narrow in the channel (barely fit my old paddock stand lifters) and very expensive
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
Do you know the bolt size for these. The ones I bought came with M10 x 1.5, which doesn't seem to fit. Got some 1.25's and they don't seem to fit either. Don't want to force it and bugger things up.
Hi Jimmy, I'm pretty sure they're M10
perhaps make sure the hole is clear of debris and it's not cross threading.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 03:19 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
Bobbins - Do not leave them in. The 790 has an ali swinger - fall off and those steel bolts can rip a hunk out of the swing arm.

Very quick and useful for track teams (with sponsors to buy new swingers). But (imo) not so practical for the home mechanic who treats their bike with more love and care.

Small steps - Day by Day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page