LED Mode: LED Flashers - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 26Likes

post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

LED Mode: LED Flashers

I'm stumped, I can't find the **** thing. I've already put LED signals on the bike, so it's not flashing. Since it's not flashing, I can't track it down by sound. My bad. Can anyone point me to where they hid the thing so I can swap it out?

Thanks much!!
post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:14 AM

Any update? I’m waiting for my rizoma flasher to arrive tomorrow.
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:52 AM

All the signals are sent from the ecu. The issue you are facing can be resolved with/out resistors.

I installed my rizzoma's without resistors because they do not work with them. I get an "indicator lamp" error when I use them, but it disappears as soon as I turn off the indicator.
AMatu likes this.
post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfTheCity View Post
All the signals are sent from the ecu. The issue you are facing can be resolved with/out resistors.

I installed my rizzoma's without resistors because they do not work with them. I get an "indicator lamp" error when I use them, but it disappears as soon as I turn off the indicator.

Seeking some clarification here. I recently bought a 790 Duke, and I'm located in the US, where our bikes come with the big ugly DOT-mandated turn indicators that have traditional incandescent bulbs. I'd like to switch out my indicators for the smaller LED ones that come stock in Europe and elsewhere; or possibly switch them out with aftermarket LEDs. Can anyone give me some more insight into doing this?

My plan was to source them from Europe (or maybe Canada?), and I assumed I would need to source a different flasher relay switch, or possibly resistors to put in the lines to the indicators. In coming across this thread, I've gotten a little confused.. Does the 790 Duke not have a flasher relay? If I install LED indicators of some kind, will they be plug and play or does the dealer need to switch something in my ECU?

I'm slightly more confused, as Yoshimura has released an LED indicator kit for the 790, and it includes a new relay.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks..
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:23 AM

I think you first need to ask Yoshimura support. Since in the included instructions in the relay section, KTM is left out.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:13 PM

Bringing this back up again now that I've had a go with LED blinkers. Unsuccessfully.

I ended up going with indicators from Lightech, and I bought a set of resistors from Rizoma to maintain the proper current draw (the Rizoma's are pre-wired with connectors that fit the stock 790 Duke wiring harness).

I installed as instructed. I did the rear pair first, and then gave them a test. With the rear LEDs and resistors installed in back and the stock incandescents still in front, the indicators all flashed correctly, but I got the "indicator warning" on the dash. I continued on and installed the LEDs and resistors in front, as well. Now when I try the indicators, they only light up solid; no flashing. (Though, I no longer get a warning on the dash.)

I'm a bit stumped at this point, as I'm seeing conflicting information in different places. Does the 790 Duke not have a flasher relay as mentioned in post #3 above? Or is it possible that Euro spec bikes don't have a flasher relay (because they come stock with LEDs), and US spec bikes like mine do have flasher relays (because they come stock with incandescents)? If that's the case, is it possible the resistors still aren't providing enough current draw to mimic the stock incandescents? (Is that what solid, non-blinking indicators mean?)

I really have no idea when it comes to electronics. Any help would be much appreciated. In particular, if anyone out there has experience putting LED indicators on a US-spec bike.
Chic likes this.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAid View Post
Bringing this back up again now that I've had a go with LED blinkers. Unsuccessfully.

I ended up going with indicators from Lightech, and I bought a set of resistors from Rizoma to maintain the proper current draw (the Rizoma's are pre-wired with connectors that fit the stock 790 Duke wiring harness).

I installed as instructed. I did the rear pair first, and then gave them a test. With the rear LEDs and resistors installed in back and the stock incandescents still in front, the indicators all flashed correctly, but I got the "indicator warning" on the dash. I continued on and installed the LEDs and resistors in front, as well. Now when I try the indicators, they only light up solid; no flashing. (Though, I no longer get a warning on the dash.)

I'm a bit stumped at this point, as I'm seeing conflicting information in different places. Does the 790 Duke not have a flasher relay as mentioned in post #3 above? Or is it possible that Euro spec bikes don't have a flasher relay (because they come stock with LEDs), and US spec bikes like mine do have flasher relays (because they come stock with incandescents)? If that's the case, is it possible the resistors still aren't providing enough current draw to mimic the stock incandescents? (Is that what solid, non-blinking indicators mean?)

I really have no idea when it comes to electronics. Any help would be much appreciated. In particular, if anyone out there has experience putting LED indicators on a US-spec bike.

Very interested in the answer and outcome. I am looking at doing the exact same thing.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAid View Post
Bringing this back up again now that I've had a go with LED blinkers. Unsuccessfully. Any help would be much appreciated. In particular, if anyone out there has experience putting LED indicators on a US-spec bike.
We have the US spec bikes in Canada, so ours also come fitted with the big, ugly signals. I have switched mine to LED's, and after some trial and error, got them to work properly, and solved the "indicator warning" issue on the dash. My chain of events went like this - I switched out the rears first, and installed a resistor in parallel on each. They flashed fine, and no dash error. I then changed the fronts, and that was when the "fun" started. I initially used the same value resistors (honestly not sure of the impedance, I got them from Amazon, and they weren't marked.) Anyway, although I now had four LED's flashing at the correct rate, I was getting the dash error, and the little green arrows on the dash were flashing at a very quick rate. The dash error really bugged me every time I switched on the signals, so I was determined to fix it. I bought some 20 ohm\10 watt resistors on eBay - Chinese specials, $1.68 for a pack of five!! I'd intended to install these on all four signals, but having installed and tested them just on the front, the dash error was surprisingly fixed, so I left it at that! All working fine, and have been for weeks now. I don't know that all LED's draw the same current,and yours may well differ from the "$13 for 4" signals I bought from Amazon! But I would certainly recommend trying 20 ohm\10 watt resistors as your next step.

You are connecting the resistors across the +ve and -ve wires to each signal, right? That's how they must be wired. Unlike incandescents, LED's must be connected with the correct polarity, otherwise they will not work.

In answer to your other question about flasher units, there isn't one on any of the 790's, no matter whether they run LED or incandescent signals. I guess they're controlled by the bike's "brain!" In fact, the OEM LED signals on Euro bikes even use resistors to make them flash properly! Hope this helps somewhat - good luck with getting it solved!

Last edited by markjanemhan; 05-02-2019 at 08:54 PM.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjanemhan View Post
We have the US spec bikes in Canada, so ours also come fitted with the big, ugly signals. I have switched mine to LED's, and after some trial and error, got them to work properly, and solved the "indicator warning" issue on the dash. My chain of events went like this - I switched out the rears first, and installed a resistor in parallel on each. They flashed fine, and no dash error. I then changed the fronts, and that was when the "fun" started. I initially used the same value resistors (honestly not sure of the impedance, I got them from Amazon, and they weren't marked.) Anyway, although I now had four LED's flashing at the correct rate, I was getting the dash error, and the little green arrows on the dash were flashing at a very quick rate. The dash error really bugged me every time I switched on the signals, so I was determined to fix it. I bought some 20 ohm\10 watt resistors on eBay - Chinese specials, $1.68 for a pack of five!! I'd intended to install these on all four signals, but having installed and tested them just on the front, the dash error was surprisingly fixed, so I left it at that! All working fine, and have been for weeks now. I don't know that all LED's draw the same current,and yours may well differ from the "$13 for 4" signals I bought from Amazon! But I would certainly recommend trying 20 ohm\10 watt resistors as your next step.

You are connecting the resistors across the +ve and -ve wires to each signal, right? That's how they must be wired. Unlike incandescents, LED's must be connected with the correct polarity, otherwise they will not work.

In answer to your other question about flasher units, there isn't one on any of the 790's, no matter whether they run LED or incandescent signals. I guess they're controlled by the bike's "brain!" In fact, the OEM LED signals on Euro bikes even use resistors to make them flash properly! Hope this helps somewhat - good luck with getting it solved!

Mark, would you mind posting up the link to what you bought? I'm curious as to how you knew what the ohm/watts were for the resistors and also which signals you got.

I am guessing you had to splice wires?

Were the wires marked for +ve and -ve under the tail? I did not notice this. Thanks for the post!!!

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic View Post
Mark, would you mind posting up the link to what you bought?
These are the LED signals I got from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mot...9&sr=8-1-spell Very inexpensive, so I bought two sets, for spares! They're no Rizoma's, but they're perfectly adequate for what I needed. And these are the resistors https://www.ebay.ca/itm/5x-10W-20-Oh...53.m2749.l2649

Quote:
I'm curious as to how you knew what the ohm/watts were for the resistors and also which signals you got
I did some research, and read that if the original incandescent bulbs are 10 watt, then you need 21.5 ohm resistors. Could only find 20 ohm, but that's close enough. And I just figured that the resistors needed to be rated for 10 watts, since that's the same as the bulbs they are "mimicking"

Quote:
I am guessing you had to splice wires?
Yes, that was necessary to wire the resistors in parallel with the signal wiring. I soldered them rather than using connectors.

Quote:
Were the wires marked for +ve and -ve under the tail? I did not notice this. Thanks for the post!!!
They aren't marked, and honestly I can't remember which color is which. But I do know that if you get the polarity wrong, it won't do any harm, it just won't light the LED.
Chic likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page