Hazard Lights - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
JP

Hazard Lights

In California we can lane split. I was shocked when I noticed my 790 does not have hazard lights. Does anyone know how to make the current lights flash together? Hazard lights are used when splitting lanes to bring attention to your location.
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 08:53 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
I've owned quite a few motos, only one, (my ZX-14R), had the flashers. I didn't think it was common for motos to have 'em, but then I've mainly only rode/owned sport bikes.

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 09:01 PM
VIP Member

If it is a thing at all, it must be a SF thing. I have never seen anyone using their flashers when lane splitting since I arrived in SoCal in 1989, and I havenít seen it in my SF trips, either.
L8-apex likes this.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:21 PM
Pgm

Garage
Here in the uk Iíve seen bikes with their hazard lights on when filtering, I have no idea why when they are passing vehicles.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:58 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
If the 790 headlight is on (and it always is) - the blinkers will barely be visible.

On my way home yesterday (in the car) I had a scooter behind me riding erratically through the estates and pulled over because frankly I did not want to part of the accident waiting to happen - it passed and the Hazards were on. Invisible in rear view mirror.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
JP

Hazard Lights

Thank you for all of your responses. However, the question was is there a way to modify the 790 to have hazard lights on since there is no switch? I understand everyone has their own perspective on hazard lights, but mine was just mechanical in nature.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:35 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage

:-))
EvansB2 likes this.

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 03:07 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Thank you for all of your responses. However, the question was is there a way to modify the 790 to have hazard lights on since there is no switch? I understand everyone has their own perspective on hazard lights, but mine was just mechanical in nature.
JP . Sorry - but here goes. I think you will have issues.

The flasher relay in not a discrete item but forms (iirc) part of the instrument cluster and is programmed by the factory for bulb OR led. So I'll take a guess here that it detects load differences. I've not tried, but my guess is that to get Hazards, you'll need to wire a discrete load independant relay in as a replacement with all the corresponding switchgear. Doable but a serious PITA.

A simpler alternative would be to fit a second set of tiny but bright LEDS with a separate relay - easier and maybe more visible if you use bar-end blinkers.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
JP

Barbagris,

Thank you so much for your response. I am not a computer or mechanic. Therefore, I think your second option is probably better. Has anyone put in bar-end blinkers before? If so, what brand? Thanks for the help again.

JP
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 05:43 PM

Garage
I vote second option as well. I don't think the blinker loop will engage if it sees much over 20 watts (2 bulbs). I was curious and added a load resistor (~9.5w) to the blinker circuit before swapping the two 10 watt bulbs to the LED's. The instrument cluster didn't react when the turn signal switch was engaged.