Hazard Lights - Page 3 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 9Likes

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 06:38 PM

I commute every day to and from work. I have experienced drivers making left turns in front of me in broad daylight. They don't see you. 99% of the time it wasn't on purpose. To increase my survivability, I have installed a front-facing LED strobing white light purchased from a bicycle shop. 800 lumen is powerful enough to have the light bounce back from any street signs 500 feet away. With this mod, the only driver that will turn in front of me is the jerk who is doing it on purpose. I will not ride without this mod.

To reduce the chance of getting rear-ended, I've installed a red back-facing led strobe light. Again, both of the LED lights were purchased from the bicycle shop.
J D likes this.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 04:58 PM

i'd be interested in a mod that makes the rear brake light flash brightly under braking, i've seen some cars have this based on sharp throttle decrease, thus turning on the brake light before your slow body even gets to the brake and thought this was a good idea.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:40 PM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnets View Post
i'd be interested in a mod that makes the rear brake light flash brightly under braking, i've seen some cars have this based on sharp throttle decrease, thus turning on the brake light before your slow body even gets to the brake and thought this was a good idea.
There are products out there like this one - I have no affiliation with them and not sure if they'd ship overseas.

It's just a micro-controller doing PWM with a bunch of modes that you can select to get the pattern you want. Work with LEDs and incandescent bulbs.

You will have to cut a single wire in the brake harness though (the power to the brake light) and splice it in, then find a ground for the device - simple enough.

I can say whether this will comply with your local road regulations though!
magnets likes this.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:58 PM

Thanks DMA, i hadn't thought about using a g-force sensor, that's a good way.
I'm handy with arduino so i might make my own!
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 06:11 PM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnets View Post
Thanks DMA, i hadn't thought about using a g-force sensor, that's a good way.
I'm handy with arduino so i might make my own!
That would be an awesome arduino or PIC project - make it happen!
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 02:32 AM
Road to Victory

Garage
G-Force activated rear module https://safer-turn.com/smart-brake-module/

Watch the Youtube videos - one or two have discount codes!. I have one fitted. I have it flash on decel but the brake lever does not flash the light. This is a useful feature here where in theory a flashing brake is not 100% legal. But G-force decel flashing IS.

3rdbrake used to have a gforce model but no longer listed.
magnets and dma like this.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 02:27 PM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbagris View Post
G-Force activated rear module https://safer-turn.com/smart-brake-module/

Watch the Youtube videos - one or two have discount codes!. I have one fitted. I have it flash on decel but the brake lever does not flash the light. This is a useful feature here where in theory a flashing brake is not 100% legal. But G-force decel flashing IS.

3rdbrake used to have a gforce model but no longer listed.
Those look cool @barbagris - I was trying to find / remember the name of those yesterday - top tip on the legality situation. Is there a specific 790 Duke model or are all the LED capable ones the same?

Last edited by dma; 02-20-2020 at 02:30 PM.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 01:32 AM
Road to Victory

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma View Post
Those look cool @barbagris - I was trying to find / remember the name of those yesterday - top tip on the legality situation. Is there a specific 790 Duke model or are all the LED capable ones the same?
You can avoid any legality woes - by turning the STS unit over It then just activates the brake light (with no flashing) on decel' .

They are all the same. 3 wires - PLUS, MINUS and signal - I used the 790 accessories connectors for plus and minus - And a posi.tap to attach the signal to the brake light wire. The tap connectors fitted to and that come with the STS are NOT upto my personal standards.
dma likes this.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 05:02 AM

I'm not sure if they would come up straight away for the 790, but Healtech will come with a new feature to install self cancelling flasher with hazard function this year.

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/scf/
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 04:50 AM

ooo that looks interesting, and has hazards!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page