Hazard Lights - Page 2 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 4Likes

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 05:23 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Barbagris,

Thank you so much for your response. I am not a computer or mechanic. Therefore, I think your second option is probably better. Has anyone put in bar-end blinkers before? If so, what brand? Thanks for the help again.

JP
The German lads seem to be fond of the solution, historically.

If it were me I'd think strongly about KELLERMAN and MOTOGADGET. They know their countrymen. The Motogadget blinker relay might well fit inside the bars too. I've not tried on alloy bars ever.

Note this is NOT without some modifying to route wires through bars etc. And you'll lose the anti vibration weights. Here the Kellerman may give a slight advantage as they're steel.

https://motogadget.com/shop/en/m-blaze-disc.html
https://www.kellermann-online.com/en.../bl-2000?c=166
J D likes this.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 03:15 AM

I was surprised to find it doesn't have a hazards light button. I thought it was part of the requirements for a vehicle.

ah, it is specified
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2016C00338
(6.9)

but not required.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 11:18 AM

Using hazard lights for filtering?
That's the sort of things BMW riders do.
Although I don't when I ride mine ;-)

Last edited by cster; 11-26-2019 at 11:20 AM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 12:21 PM

If you have the KTM alarm installed, then there is a function to switch the hazards on from the alarm keyfob with the engine running, just how you'll do it riding down the road remains to be seen but technically it is possible. Btw, if you don't have the alarm due to its ridiculous price it maybe worth knowing that the alarm is manufactured by an Italian company called Meta, the model is the Defcom T and is available in the UK for around £80, this includes the wiring loom that plugs directly into the KTM harness so is literally a 5 minute install. I snapped one up from eBay and bought the KTM mounting bracket to do a proper install, saved about £200, happy days!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 04:45 PM
SuperDuker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike991 View Post
If you have the KTM alarm installed, then there is a function to switch the hazards on from the alarm keyfob with the engine running, just how you'll do it riding down the road remains to be seen but technically it is possible. Btw, if you don't have the alarm due to its ridiculous price it maybe worth knowing that the alarm is manufactured by an Italian company called Meta, the model is the Defcom T and is available in the UK for around £80, this includes the wiring loom that plugs directly into the KTM harness so is literally a 5 minute install. I snapped one up from eBay and bought the KTM mounting bracket to do a proper install, saved about £200, happy days!
Does it come with any decent wiring info. Maybe there is a way to get JUST the hazards!

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 05:38 PM

It does come with a wiring diagram but I think the hazard function is an inbuilt function of the alarm, as with most alarms it flashes all indicators when arming and disarming so it's the alarm powering the indicators as opposed to the bike. I guess there must be left and right turn positive feeds at the alarm multi pin connector under the seat so I guess it would be just a case of having a two pole flasher relay rigged up to the outputs and controlling it somehow from a conveniently mounted switch.

The alarm is supplied with a wiring loom which plugs into the back of the alarm, however this is not needed as the bike has a similar loom connector so just plugs directly into the alarm. There is also a connector on the bike to add the passenger seat reed switch, this is supplied with the KTM mounting bracket hardware. I checked with my KTM dealer and they confirmed adding the Meta alarm will not invalidate the warranty, whereas any modifications to the bikes loom will invalidate any electrical claims.

Personally for £80 odd quid I'd get the alarm and job done, albeit you may fall off when switching the hazard function on!

Hope this helps
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 01:51 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
Quote:
It does come with a wiring diagram but I think the hazard function is an inbuilt function of the alarm, as with most alarms it flashes all indicators when arming and disarming so it's the alarm powering the indicators as opposed to the bike. I guess there must be left and right turn positive feeds at the alarm multi pin connector under the seat so I guess it would be just a case of having a two pole flasher relay rigged up to the outputs and controlling it somehow from a conveniently mounted switch.
Any chance of a copy - pretty please??

Can't find Meta on sale here so far. I do not want an Alarm under the seat as I have other plans!.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 05:08 AM

Here's a link to the diagram: -

http://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/man...m3_fitting.pdf

I'm at work now, but will look at the multiplug tonight and be able to tell you the pin positions for the indicator feeds, I seem to recall the wire colours in the meta loom aren't the same as the corresponding wires in the KTM loom but as long as you know the pin positions it should be easy enough to see which is the indicator feeds.

Cheers
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 04:59 PM

Here's a pic of the meta loom, so the indicators feeds are the top row pins 5 & 6, all you need to do is look at the identical KTM loom under the seat and pins 5 & 6 (different colours) will be what you are after to tap into. I've attached a pic of the Meta alarm installed with the KTM bracket, just in case you want to see how much space it takes.

Please bear in mind mine is a UK bike, I assume all markets are pre-wired for the factory alarm?

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191127_185416.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	2836   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191127_202140.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	2838  
barbagris likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 03:25 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
Quote:
Here's a pic of the meta loom, so the indicators feeds are the top row pins 5 & 6, all you need to do is look at the identical KTM loom under the seat and pins 5 & 6 (different colours) will be what you are after to tap into. I've attached a pic of the Meta alarm installed with the KTM bracket, just in case you want to see how much space it takes.

Please bear in mind mine is a UK bike, I assume all markets are pre-wired for the factory alarm?

Regards
Interesting - thanks. The bracket is neat too.

Mine is prewired.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page