Electrical Output? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 16
Electrical Output?

I'm looking for the electrical output of the 790 in Watts for electrical accessories. Tried looking in the owners manual and can't find it.

I want to put about 150 Watts worth of heated gear on, and I need to know if the Duke can handle it.
Dazed is offline  
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 05:15 PM
dma
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands UK
Posts: 89
Hi @Dazed - 150W is quite a lot for heated clothes - will be toasty! I think the alternator can handle it just fine.

If you look in the (2019 model) manual, page 201 the ACC1 and ACC2 fuses are both rated at 10A.

It's a 12V system so as P=IV, each can supply 10*12 = 120W.

I think ACC1 is always on, and ACC2 is ignition switched - you can find both of them under the pillion seat (on the left hand side behind the battery) *and* they are both in the headlamp cowl too. They are presented as clear rubber shielded 6mm female spade sockets so you need 6mm male spade connectors to attach your gear.
dma is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 06:13 PM
member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Near Knoxville Tennessee
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma View Post
Hi @Dazed
If you look in the (2019 model) manual, page 201 the ACC1 and ACC2 fuses are both rated at 10A.
One thing to be aware of is that the fuse for ACC1 serves both the front and rear leads. Same for ACC2. That means you're limited to 10 amps total for each circuit.
dma likes this.
GOTJ is online now  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 06:26 PM
dma
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands UK
Posts: 89
The leads aren't labelled either - just two pairs of connectors at either end. You can use a multimeter to figure out which are switched with the ignition and which are always on.

The wiring colours are just about visible (one pair has a red/orange stripe on one of them that's easy to see) - they are the same colours at either end so once you figure out one you know the other.

FYI - my power outlet post is here: https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/7...r-outlets.html
dma is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 07:10 PM
member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Near Knoxville Tennessee
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma View Post
The leads aren't labelled either - just two pairs of connectors at either end.
I have a 2019 model and they labeled the leads in the back. I haven't looked at the ones in the front.
dma likes this.
GOTJ is online now  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 02:35 PM
Junior Member
 
CATMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 17
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
I'm looking for the electrical output of the 790 in Watts for electrical accessories. Tried looking in the owners manual and can't find it.

I want to put about 150 Watts worth of heated gear on, and I need to know if the Duke can handle it.
Hey! I don't think you're going to get a straight answer. Rule of thumb for cars is topically stock accessories consume 40-60% of the alternator's capability. I could see a bike alternator being scaled undersized in comparison because power/weight is so easily affected.

I think your best bet is to put a watt meter on it and go for a ride. See where your at during normal operation. You may have issues with the added gear during long cold rides if the usage now consistently exceeds 60% of the alternators 12v, 400w capability. The battery is only rated at 10Ah, so it won't be able to compensate for very long.

Another fun fact: The ECU is picky. Mine refused to start at 11.6v with no low battery warning..

Last edited by CATMAN; 11-06-2019 at 02:36 PM. Reason: double posted quote.
CATMAN is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:51 PM
dma
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands UK
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTJ View Post
I have a 2019 model and they labeled the leads in the back. I haven't looked at the ones in the front.
Interesting - mine's a 2019 model too but didn't see any sign of any labelling, only the very ends of the shielded female spade connectors were visible but managed to pull out about an inch of cable.
dma is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 04:39 PM
dma
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands UK
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATMAN View Post
Hey! I don't think you're going to get a straight answer. Rule of thumb for cars is topically stock accessories consume 40-60% of the alternator's capability. I could see a bike alternator being scaled undersized in comparison because power/weight is so easily affected.

I think your best bet is to put a watt meter on it and go for a ride. See where your at during normal operation. You may have issues with the added gear during long cold rides if the usage now consistently exceeds 60% of the alternators 12v, 400w capability. The battery is only rated at 10Ah, so it won't be able to compensate for very long.

Another fun fact: The ECU is picky. Mine refused to start at 11.6v with no low battery warning..
Good call @CATMAN - I think 150W *is* high, but it may be possible, 100W from either of ACC1 or ACC2 should be possible.

The bike has all LED lighting so much lower draw than standard 50/60W headlight drain from incandescent bulbs - probably less than 20W for all the lights.

On other bikes I've owned running draw was about 50W to run the ECU and running lights, but the 790 has other electrical bits like the quick shifter, IMU and fancy ABS.

@Dazed - what makes up the 150W you need - heated grips, gloves, jacket?
dma is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:04 PM
member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Near Knoxville Tennessee
Posts: 69
The alternator capacity is 400W. The screenshot is from the service manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191106-165616_1573077767052.png
Views:	10
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	2682  
dj790duke likes this.
GOTJ is online now  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma View Post

@Dazed - what makes up the 150W you need - heated grips, gloves, jacket?
Looking at heated gloves, jacket liner and pants.
Dazed is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome