Countershaft sprocket, seal leak - Page 2 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 2Likes

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:41 PM
VIP Member

Countershaft sprocket, seal leak

This afternoon, I noticed a drop of oil on the floor and found seepage on the left side of the engine. Since it's directly under the countershaft, I initially thought it just might be from the chain. However, there's enough seepage to develop a drop or two on the bottom of the engine.

Anyone else seen this?

PS. You'll also notice in my photo that the chain is dry (my bad). So, the oil must be coming from somewhere else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2071.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	968  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:59 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansB2 View Post
This afternoon, I noticed a drop of oil on the floor and found seepage on the left side of the engine. Since it's directly under the countershaft, I initially thought it just might be from the chain. However, there's enough seepage to develop a drop or two on the bottom of the engine.

Anyone else seen this?

PS. You'll also notice in my photo that the chain is dry (my bad). So, the oil must be coming from somewhere else.

Below is a link to a post from owners citing that exact observation. IIRC they brought it in for an updated counter-shaft seal replacement.

https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/5...tput-seal.html

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..

Last edited by J D; 05-09-2019 at 11:01 PM. Reason: added link..
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:49 PM
VIP Member

Thanks. That’s exactly what I was wondering.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:17 AM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
Just got my bike back from it's first service, and they did replace the output shaft seal.
Hope that fixes the problem for good.
Please keep us informed of any changes.

That goes for everyone here, it's best if we talk about these things so we can keep them covered by the Factory.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Mine Stopped Leaking at 2,500 Miles

My 3K mile 790D I bought in July of this year has leaked from day 2 of ownership (I found it when doing the first service oil change at 580 miles). I bought the bike and participate in a 10 day 1,700 mile group ride so I just kept wiping the area dry most times I stopped. It was not a substantial leak but enough to "shine" a good portion of the cases and oil pan if left uncleaned for over 400 miles.

I causally verified the chain adjustment was set accurately when I bought the bike but I didn't install swingarm spools until after 2K miles so I could not verify the adjustment exactly as instructed in the manual. The chain always looks excessively slack so I was pretty surprised to find it was about an 1/8" tight when I finally checked it on the rear stand. I made the small adjustment and about 300 miles later there was no more leak. Maybe a very tension-sensitive seal?

KEB
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:55 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Hiya Keb!
I read subsequently that KTM came out with the revised chain adjustment update that allegedly helped the situation.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:12 PM

I just booked my appt with the dealer to replace my seal - started leaking from new 3 months ago and has progressively gotten a little worse as time went on - fork seals are the same so hopefully KTM will honor that under warranty as well.

My ambition outweighed my talent.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:57 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLion View Post
I just booked my appt with the dealer to replace my seal - started leaking from new 3 months ago and has progressively gotten a little worse as time went on - fork seals are the same so hopefully KTM will honor that under warranty as well.
Oh for sure they should honor it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page