Immobilizer failure (official thread for all ImmobFails) - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 21Likes

post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Immobilation Alert

Question about voltage limits...
After a very long wait, I picked up my 790 last weekend with 5 miles on the Odo. Rode tested the bike for another 3 miles while at the dealership — no issues except I wanted to ride more! Trailered home and installed a Battery tender SAE lead directly to the battery (has 15amp fuse between battery and lead). Trickel charged battery and went green within 5 minutes (yah!)
When weather finally cleared I set out for my REAL maiden voyage and received an Immobizer Alert not but 1000 ft from my driveway. Engine shut down. Could not restart.
Scrolling through the computer, lots of errors/codes were displayed (MTC and ABS Cornering). After a rest, the bike started but still threw errors including ABS Failure.
KTM Tech ran diagnostic this morning and reports no current errors and show one historical battery error.
1. Has anyone installed battery tender leads? Issues? Maybe I need a 10amp fuse on the BT Lead?
2. Does anyone have any idea of stator capacity/ amperage allowed? My Tech or Advisor doesn’t know.
3. Does anyone run heated gear on their 790?

Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 03:31 PM

My electrical and technical knowledge is not able to answer this incident.
I have used a Tecmate Optimate 4 battery charger tester, and have had no problems.
I also have Gerbing gloves powered straight from the battery, again no problems.
Just make sure that everything is connected well and tightened.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:15 PM
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Question about voltage limits...
After a very long wait, I picked up my 790 last weekend with 5 miles on the Odo. Rode tested the bike for another 3 miles while at the dealership — no issues except I wanted to ride more! Trailered home and installed a Battery tender SAE lead directly to the battery (has 15amp fuse between battery and lead). Trickel charged battery and went green within 5 minutes (yah!)
When weather finally cleared I set out for my REAL maiden voyage and received an Immobizer Alert not but 1000 ft from my driveway. Engine shut down. Could not restart.
Scrolling through the computer, lots of errors/codes were displayed (MTC and ABS Cornering). After a rest, the bike started but still threw errors including ABS Failure.
KTM Tech ran diagnostic this morning and reports no current errors and show one historical battery error.
1. Has anyone installed battery tender leads? Issues? Maybe I need a 10amp fuse on the BT Lead?
2. Does anyone have any idea of stator capacity/ amperage allowed? My Tech or Advisor doesn’t know.
3. Does anyone run heated gear on their 790?

Thanks in advance!
my battery tender lead has a 5amp fuse
I run heated grips but not gloves or clothing
if you use the aux power supply this is fused

whats the current requirement for your heated gear?

how did you wire them up?

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:57 PM

Immobilizer failure (official thread for all ImmobFails)

Started flashing immobilizer failure after 15 minutes of riding. Pulled off to check the bike and after shutdown the bike would crank, but not start. Anyone else have this issue?
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:03 PM

Pic of the screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7267281C-B76A-4324-AFF7-9FAD5AAAA1CB_1546286600132.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	510  
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:10 PM

We are having the same issue. Mine did it after 15 min of riding and 41 miles. Bike would run, but would not restart after cycling key off. Did start after 30 min of trying. What is your doing now?
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:16 PM

Imobilizer failure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C9F6093-0A57-4DA1-8417-B739E520AF69_1546287343934.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	512   Click image for larger version

Name:	4BB0B070-7810-4F83-959A-D8D2271D724E_1546287361785.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	514  
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:49 AM
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpayne21 View Post
Pic of the screen
sorry to see you are having a problem

mines never shown this

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I disconnected the SAE plug that I connected directly to the battery. I let it reset for 24 hours plus - rode 45 miles this afternoon with no issues.

I'm thinking the Euro map is different from the US map? I'm assuming you have a US version?

I'm looking for a KTM accessory plug for ACC 1 that has an SAE on the other end- can only find the heated grips (that will go into ACC 2) and an accessory plug with a USB on the other end. The Manual states to use aligator clips for battery trickle charge - that's a pain in the arse.
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I disconnected the SAE plug that I connected directly to the battery. I let it reset for 24 hours plus - rode 45 miles this afternoon with no issues.

I'm thinking the Euro map is different from the US map? I'm assuming you have a US version?

I'm looking for a KTM accessory plug for ACC 1 that has an SAE on the other end- can only find the heated grips (that will go into ACC 2) and an accessory plug with a USB on the other end. The Manual states to use aligator clips for battery trickle charge - that's a pain in the arse.
Shouldn't think charging clips would matter really, as long as nothing is backwards Could be battery is too small for what you're pulling?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page