Immobilizer failure (official thread for all ImmobFails) - Page 12 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 27Likes

post #111 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:30 AM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
A brief thread from last Summer;

https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/5...-new-bits.html

Forum Admin.
post #112 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the welcome. Dealer collecting tomorrow, says they've never had this before. I did point out it seems to be common. I chatted to a chap filling a 790 in a service station today. 5000 winter miles with no issues. Maybe I'm just unlucky 🤞
post #113 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 06:17 AM

I still haven't got my bike back yet, it's been at the dealer over a month now. With the new year break and the fact that KTM sent an ignition system for a different bike, it's been a while now. And it's souring the whole experience somewhat... Good job the weather hasn't been decent!
post #114 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 06:25 AM

Out of interest, has anybody with this issue noticed if the back wheel locks up at all, not whilst riding but after you've stopped or turned the bike off and on again? Kind of like a failsafe as the ABS failure flashes up, and as the bike cools it releases the wheel?
post #115 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 07:58 AM

When I had this problem, it didn't affect the brakes at all,(besides not having anti-lock)
post #116 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:50 AM
QCS

Super-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackibbo View Post
Out of interest, has anybody with this issue noticed if the back wheel locks up at all, not whilst riding but after you've stopped or turned the bike off and on again? Kind of like a failsafe as the ABS failure flashes up, and as the bike cools it releases the wheel?
Sound like a separate issue. I would guess it is the other way around. There is a problem that affects the rear wheel circuit on a warm bike and the ABS and/or ECU unit is identifies it and lets you know.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #117 of 118 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

Brought my bike in for its 9300 mile service, and have them check on the intermittent immobilizer failure. It would only happen starting the bike from cold, and seemed to be getting harder and harder to start. It wouldn’t always fire on the first push of the button. Dealer called me during service and said the battery needed to be replaced, was surprised it needed one so soon, but had the battery replaced. Dealer said that the battery was the cause of the failure when starting from cold, when the bike was warm battery had enough juice to not trip the failure. Went out the this am to start the bike from cold and she fired right up and no failure, so I assume that was the problem. Only weird issue since I got the bike back the temp gauge reads 4 bars constantly, before service it was usually at 3 bars unless it was slow then go to 4 bars. Not too concerned because it didn’t go over 4 bars in the 50 mile ride back from the dealer, will see what happens this week.
post #118 of 118 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmckie View Post
Brought my bike in for its 9300 mile service, and have them check on the intermittent immobilizer failure. It would only happen starting the bike from cold, and seemed to be getting harder and harder to start. It wouldn’t always fire on the first push of the button. Dealer called me during service and said the battery needed to be replaced, was surprised it needed one so soon, but had the battery replaced. Dealer said that the battery was the cause of the failure when starting from cold, when the bike was warm battery had enough juice to not trip the failure. Went out the this am to start the bike from cold and she fired right up and no failure, so I assume that was the problem. Only weird issue since I got the bike back the temp gauge reads 4 bars constantly, before service it was usually at 3 bars unless it was slow then go to 4 bars. Not too concerned because it didn’t go over 4 bars in the 50 mile ride back from the dealer, will see what happens this week.
So it was the battery eh? Good to know... we have one of the confirmed sources.
bpmckie likes this.

2019 KTM Duke 790
2015 Ducati Monster 821
2002 Honda XR400R