KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Poor Quick Shifter Performance Connected to Akra engine map

11K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  64793674 
#1 ·
I had my KTM dealer install the Akrapovic Evolution full exhaust system on my 2020 790 Duke at the same time I had it in for its (first) 600-mile service. The dealer loaded the Akra engine map too. I left from the shop and immediately observed the quick upshifter wasn't working 'right.' While on throttle, the ignition is so delayed after upshift the front end dives and gives an abrupt lurch when power returns. Quick downshift stopped working altogether; soft downward pressure on the shifter does nothing. Should be noted it worked marvelously before this shop visit.

I returned to the shop right then. They called KTM and reported that the Akra map delays ignition "5-10 milliseconds" over stock map and there's nothing that can be done about it. No comment on losing downshift capabilities.

I'm beyond disappointed with this explanation and the result from installing an official KTM aftermarket part. The new pipe sounds amazing and it's got great power, but losing the quickshifter isn't an acceptable trade off.

Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions for how to fix this?

#6 ·
The QS is adjustable, it's on the first service checklist for them to do in fact. I'd just ask them to remove the 5-10ms delay and well, not sure about the auto-blip downshift issue but I'd be REALLY pissed if I lost that mod myself.

Keep us posted!

#12 ·
Glad to see it not just me !

Had exactly the same fault when I purchased my bike late last year .it too has an akrapovic/ slip on rear system but still with cat .

No fault when riding away from dealer BUT fault you complain of occured/developed after a few weeks of non . activity riding due to work commitments

When you went to accelerate from rest & move to upshift ,the engine it would act as though traction control had cut in .?

If you changed up through the gears with the quick shifter you could make progress / increase speed but it was not right .

Another symptom of it I can only describe as a very bad flat/spot on acceleration .changing mode to track etc had no improvement.

Obviously not happy & took back to dealer ...

They too contacted KTM & worked through the electronics package of engine / fueling .

The culprits they said were a complete rewrite of the engine map involving adjustment to the throttle position sensor & recalibration to the engine modes ..as stated mine has only a slip.on akrapovic with cat retained ,so should be ok on std map as only real gain is weight saving /looks over OE exhaust.

They had the bike over_night to confirm all was resolved .
Picked the bike up to test & found a real difference in what had been done .

Although wearing different boots I found that it was all too easy to fool the quick shifter into premature changing up / down .

So the dealer kindly adjusted the gear changer heigth which was not as simple as you might expect ! Both upward & downward changes have to be adjusted evenly to ensure the shifter responds correctly.

Since then no issues with the bike or its performance/ ,gear change quality .

Hope you get it sorted asap .

Must admit to feeling slightly disappointed at some of the issues my KTM 790 Duke has suffered with ..

Perhaps having had so many fault free years on Japanese superbikes has spoilt me ...?

#19 ·
Although wearing different boots I found that it was all too easy to fool the quick shifter into premature changing up / down .
Key here is understanding HOW the QS works.

If you are the sort of rider who places toe on/under lever and lightly eases into the lever to get rid of free play - Then this will backfire on you. The QS senses lever movement before you actually reach the point of actuator drum rotation and cuts ignition. If you are eased into the lever just a fraction too much - the ignition cut frees the actuator drum to flip with no resistance. That easy.

My other bikes have long slow gearboxes and this is my practice riding them - On the KTM you have to learn to ride the gearbox differently.

On the KTM you have to build some new muscle memory for shifting - swift single smooth circular motion - Toe in and under (or over) and lift (or push) - toe out. This alone will make a huge difference.

What has (I've mentioned often) is how much better this all is with a COOBER box in the system. Why? - no idea: but much of what the COOBER does is based on RPM and, from personal observation, the rate of change in RPM. My gut says it actually feeds different RPM data to the Bosch ECU than it detects. This can be seen in rev counter behavior. One day I may add a revcounter with direct feed from the coil feeds - and compare - but I've more important things to do first.

I have NOT ridden much in TRACK MODE - but ime the QS seems NOT to operate as well - maybe because of how TRACK mode delivers. I found it's way smoother to use the clutch in Track Mode. COOBER or NOT.

#14 ·
I have the Coober and my quick shift is absolutely smooth with no pause.
Prior to the 600 service the QS was very unrideable. The 600 service work the dealer did fixed it and all the other irritations. The bike runs smoothly and beautifully. Obviously most of the issues with the bike are software related.

#15 ·
BTW the KTM tech at the dealer told me to bring the bike back in for a quick hook up to the KTM software as the QS can go out of “ sync” I’ve not had the problem but it is interesting that he’s mention that. I’ll add that I’ve had a variety of KTM techs. Some aren’t very knowledgeable on road bikes as the shops sell mostly dirt bikes. This shop sells lots of road bikes and the tech has been to every school has offered. Plus he’s thorough. A rarity these days.

#16 ·
I had the exact same problem after the Akra map was installed on my bike and despite the dealer trying multiple times to fix it including installing new sensors from a demo bike on the floor, i lost functionality of the quickshifter, even after the stock map was loaded back on. Result was a brand new motorcycle, because they wanted to pull the engine and split the casings to see if the internal QS sensor had failed.

#23 ·
Update: The dealer applied a fix, and all's right with the bike again. The tech said he had to wipe the computer clean, start fresh and first load the factory standard map then apply the Akra no-cat map. Said they suspect the last load didn't apply correctly. Also said he recalibrated the shifter neutral position and QS positions. I don't know if all that's the truth or not, but they had it hooked to the computer for three hours and now it works so that's all I need to care about I guess. Just happy to have it all working again. Feels and sounds like it's running right and the QS is pretty good. Granted I recently rode a BMW S1000 and THAT bike has an amazing QS so it's a little hard to remember what my Duke was like out of the crate. Fingers crossed no more issues. Now I hope to start loving it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.