Quickshifter Failure - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quickshifter Failure

Hey Everyone,

You may all remember me from my recent posts regarding having a replacement engine installed under warranty after it failed. The bike was off the road for 13 weeks whilst KTM took their time un-crimping their buttholes to make a decision to replace my engine.

NOW there is another major issue. So I had the bike in at my local KTM dealer to have my warped discs replaced and the first 1,000km break in service. (KTM refused to honor the warranty on the discs).
The mechanic uploaded a new map for the Akra and updated software, etc.

The next day I embarked on a 4 day trip to Mt Hotham, twistie-heaven. I noticed almost immediately that the quick shifter wasn't responding well at all so I was using the clutch for most of the trip. The quick shifter only responded between 1st-2nd gear, and even with the clutch, 5-6 change was clunky.

So, back to the mechanic to take a look and after 2 days of KTM head office looking at the mapping (apparently they do it all remotely), they have confirmed that they cannot calibrate the QS. They cannot load in any parameters for the gear shift position sensor or QS sensor. They replaced the sensors, still no luck.

Now I'm in a quandary. I'm waiting to hear back from KTM Australia to give my mechanic the go-ahead to pull the motor again and strip it, to replace the internal GP sensor which apparently sits on the end of the shaft on the inside of the casing and can only be replaced by splitting the casing and removing the engine from the bike.

I suspect my bike will be off the road again for another month.

I use my bike to get to work every day and my local dealer doesn't have a loan bike.

What should I do? I am really at the end of my tether with KTM. I have spent a **** load of time and $$ on this bike. It's a lemon. What is going on with quality control KTM?

The only resolution I see now if this has to happen is I'm going to take KTM Australia to the ACCC and OFT and demand a brand new replacement bike, which I will then trade in with 0km on the clock for an Aprilia, Ducati or Triumph.

I'm so over this ****, it's blown my mind. I had an Aprilia Tuono V4r before this bike. I did 65K over 4 years and it never missed a beat. The quality was amazing. Reliable and fun bike.

I would really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this situation?

Cheers,
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:38 PM

Once you have ongoing issues with a bike it's hard to shake that frustration/disappointment/anger every time you ride it.
You also have the feeling of 'am I getting home today'.
I don't know the lemon laws here, I'd see what the ACCC say.
If the law allows for a full refund I'd go with that rather than trying to trade-in a new bike.
Good Luck
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:46 PM
rft

Gee Mobcrimeboss, that is one big bunch of bad luck, did you run over a black cat or something.
Just so none of my mates buy yr bike 2nd hand where are you.
As for KTM Aust, dont forget they have just been through a transfer of ownership from an Oz company over to KTM, I hear things didn't go well with the changeover.
Personally I would put it down to "sh#t happens", leave the QS as is, fix the disk and sell the bike.
In my case the most unreliable bike I've ever owned was a Honda, so its not just KTM.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:07 PM

Garage
After my first oil change, I brought the bike to my dealer to "calibrate the shift sensor" as it was on the first service and the tech looked upset. He said every KTM he hooks up to do that on, it's very finicky. Took about 6 tries on my bike following the instructions on the diagnostic tool exactly but we were able to do it.

I felt really defeated after having several warranty issues on my bike initially and was ready to throw in the towel. I can only imagine how you must feel after a blown engine. Certainly wouldn't blame you for moving on to something else.

On a side note, do you have the full Akra Evo exhaust? A decat? How does the Akra map feel? Was the bike modified before the engine blew?

2019 KTM 790 Duke
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj790duke View Post
After my first oil change, I brought the bike to my dealer to "calibrate the shift sensor" as it was on the first service and the tech looked upset. He said every KTM he hooks up to do that on, it's very finicky. Took about 6 tries on my bike following the instructions on the diagnostic tool exactly but we were able to do it.

I felt really defeated after having several warranty issues on my bike initially and was ready to throw in the towel. I can only imagine how you must feel after a blown engine. Certainly wouldn't blame you for moving on to something else.

On a side note, do you have the full Akra Evo exhaust? A decat? How does the Akra map feel? Was the bike modified before the engine blew?
That's good to know. I was going to ask the mechanic to explore the option of changing out the ECU and/or pads cables, etc to see if it is an electronics problem first.
I have the Akra Slip-on and cat. KTM has released a map for the Akra slip-on. It's really smooth compared to stock. The bike had the Akra fitted from new running the stock map. The engine failure was bizarre. Basically was spewing all the oil into the airbox. Compression, leak-down and rings were fine. They put it down to some kind of failure in the casing causing extreme blow-by.
dj790duke likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobcrimeboss View Post
That's good to know. I was going to ask the mechanic to explore the option of changing out the ECU and/or pads cables, etc to see if it is an electronics problem first.
I have the Akra Slip-on and cat. KTM has released a map for the Akra slip-on. It's really smooth compared to stock. The bike had the Akra fitted from new running the stock map. The engine failure was bizarre. Basically was spewing all the oil into the airbox. Compression, leak-down and rings were fine. They put it down to some kind of failure in the casing causing extreme blow-by.
Interesting. I was only aware of the map for the full Akra Titanium EVO system. I'll have to ask my dealer about the slip-on map.

2019 KTM 790 Duke
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 02:13 AM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Now that I think about, there were quite a number of people that needed that shift sensor calibrated, and many did have a go at it a handful of times.
owl likes this.

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 10:50 AM
QCS

Super-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj790duke View Post
After my first oil change, I brought the bike to my dealer to "calibrate the shift sensor" as it was on the first service and the tech looked upset.
My QS was not working at all until the 600 mile (1,000km) service. the schedule says: "Program shift shaft sensor".

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:35 PM
rft

My QS worked beautifully prior to 1st service but afterwards not so good, lots of gear crunching.
Didn't worry me as I prefer the clutch anyway, clutch action is light and gear changes are as smooth as a knife in butter, so no big deal.
From 2nd gear onwards just pull the clutch in about 10 mm and gear changes are as smooth as can be.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 05:47 PM

Sounds like u've had a sh1t run there mobcrimeboss. I'd be pretty pissed with KTM Australia not honoring warranty on the warped discs, let alone making u put up with not having a bike for ages.

I'd be seeking some form of compensation for KTM Australia and submitting a case to DFT.

Good luck mate.