My hose is discharging fluid - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
My hose is discharging fluid

Noticed this afternoon after work when i started up the bike that it was smoking a bit from the front. Looks like some fluid leaked down on the pipe and the hot pipe was burning it off. It smelled like burnt coolant, if you know that smell.

I smelled and saw this same smoke the other morning when I left as well, but thought it was just exhausting around me since it was a bit foggy and chilly. No issues after at all.

So today i checked when i got home. No leaks. There is evidence of a small leak (really just some dirt and stuff piling up) near the head gasket which I have always known to be pretty normal, but no fluid drips or anything. Bike off and bike running. No issues. Engine temp has been fine.

Anyone experienced this at all?! Explanation? I will try to grab some pics when i have a chance.
1ODA likes this.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:06 PM

High Chic. I had exactly the same problem. Bike smoking when starting her up. Couldn't find a leak until one morning I had a small puddle on garage floor. Looking closer at the bike I found the leak was coming from the thermostat pipe above the radiator. I managed to get a spanner on the jubilee clip and it was fairly loose. I tightened it up and it's been fine since. Hope this helps Chic.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:38 AM
Pgm

Garage
Itís a fairly common occurrence normally tightening the hose clips sorts it out.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Awesome guys!! Something to look for when I get home today! Thank you. Will report back when I find the culprit!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:01 AM

Are you guys talking about this part by any chance? Because it started leaking and I'm not sure if this is serious or not.

https://imgur.com/a/tVZ7ulK
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Mine was the hose behind the radiator above the headers. I got to it from the left side of the bike with an open ended wrench. Tightened it up and no issues since.
J D likes this.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:07 AM

Have/ had the same exact issue. Noticed that the cooling liquid had gone down significantly as well!

But it only happened to me when it was cold outside or during the rain. When the weather would be good and dry no smoke would appear. Still haven't figured out what it is but will go looks for any of these possibilities as soon as I can!

I found the smell very odd and even went to the dealer with it, but they couldn't identify anything and thought it would have been the rain as well.
In my mind it smelled like plastic was burning and I was afraid some of the cables was having issues and was melting or something odd like that.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 01:02 PM

Hi people, i have the same problem what i have to Do to fix it? My dealer didn't find anything leaking, but when it's cold, i can see some drops on the floor, Thanks. Hello from Portugal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A4FA0D6-C397-4B4C-895C-9D7E1B0BD594_1572192082738.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	2590  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Read above guys. Take a look at the hoses coming and going from the radiator and try to see if any are loose. Tighten as needed.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 03:35 PM

Same problem on mine, dont just tighten it, get it to the dealer and get the whole god **** thing replaced instead.
I also had 4 separate leaks on the valve housing which i got fixed under warranty as well.

My salesguy said something like he could not understand what KTM was thinking when they put a round clip on an oval pipe.
Although i do not know if he talked about my coolant leak or something completely unrelated to my bike.

We were mainly discussing quality on bikes in general but he knew my bike was in for warranty.
owl likes this.

Last edited by GothTownDuke; 10-28-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page