Stalling when rev matching at low speed - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Stalling when rev matching at low speed

Hi guys,

I've bought the 790 Duke on Monday, today is Friday and I already got this issue about 10 times.

I am coming from a no electronics Kawasaki Z300, and I got used to rev matching every time I downshift so I don't get the rear wheel to lock.

Sometimes when cruising at around 10-20 kph when I down shift from 2nd to 1st the bike stalls. I press the clutch, and as soon as I press a bit of gas the bike stalls. Never had this issue on the Kawe.

I am still breaking in the bike so I only start driving when the bike shows 3 lines on the head meter, I don't think is a cold engine problem.

Called the shop, they told me 2 cylinder engines don't like rev matching. LOL my Z300 was 2 cylinder and I never heard of any Japanese bike with this issue.

Anyone had this issue?
J D likes this.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 04:49 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Welcome to the Team! I'm sure you'll hear from a few with similar issues. On a brighter note, it seems many issues were resolved with the first service.

Forum Admin. Feel free to drop me a PM to answer any questions.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Garage
I haven't had this problem, but I do try to match the rpms a bit when downshifting. Though I do it more when I am above 6k rpm and shifting down. The slower I am moving, the less I try to match. Try leaving the throttle closed and clutching, shift into first, then release the clutch slowly. Try this at the low speeds. See if it does it again.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Garage
And welcome to the forums!!!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:52 AM

QS 2->1 I never do, I don't like the feeling.
In general the harder I'm braking the better the downshift works for me.

Closing throttle from half+ open (engine pulling substantially) also works.
Coasting and then downshifting on mine is a receipt for jerkiness.
Chic likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Welcome to the Team! I'm sure you'll hear from a few with similar issues. On a brighter note, it seems many issues were resolved with the first service.
Did you have this issue? I am strongly considering returning the bike, I love everything else about this bike, but shutting down while I am driving? I mean this price is for a premium bike right?

I went to KTM dealer to upgrade the fw happened on the same day when returning home. (I tried to see if it was fixed, and it is not)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 11:49 PM

i had very jerky behavior trying to rev match when down shifting. now i close the the throttle completely and then down shift. I note this was not the experience for mullasci
Typically i'm down shifting at less than 3k revs.

you could try turning the autoblipper off and see if that makes any difference.
Wiremanjon likes this.

Last edited by magnets; 09-02-2019 at 11:50 PM. Reason: missing word
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:08 PM

Garage
Also, are you cruising at a speed with the clutch in and then downshifting to 1st or are you in second and pull the clutch then kick it down and it stalls?

I would play around with the clutch and speeds and downshifting (with the autoshifter on and off) and try to pinpoint what is happening when. It may be you need to slightly change the way you are used to riding, as much as that sucks.

I have felt a lot of jerkiness though between 1st an 2nd when I am in traffic and kinda trying to keep up, especially if I am in second for a long time clutching in and out. I haven't had it just kick off on me.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:39 PM

Not had any problems with mine. Why would it stall when down shifting, even if you are rev matching?

The quickshifter does blip the throttle on the down shift so rev matching isn't necessary, but I would still question why it is happening.
Mullasci likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:47 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaoelvas View Post
Did you have this issue? I am strongly considering returning the bike, I love everything else about this bike, but shutting down while I am driving? I mean this price is for a premium bike right?

I went to KTM dealer to upgrade the fw happened on the same day when returning home. (I tried to see if it was fixed, and it is not)
I don't have this issue, but I've def. read of similar issues from other people on FB.

Forum Admin. Feel free to drop me a PM to answer any questions.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page