Engine cutting out - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 14Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Engine cutting out

So my first issue was the coolant leak. Sorted that out at home.

Next came the immobiliser failure. Was stranded 200 miles from home. Dealer replaced the key barrel.

Since then, there has been an intermittent fault where the engine just cuts out when I pull the clutch in to change down as approaching a junction. Dealer couldn’t make it happen and even (get this) suggested my husband should try riding it to see if it’s something I’m doing wrong!!! Wondered if anyone else has had issues since the immobiliser failure has been fixed? Or whether this might not be related to that fix. The problem is, it’s rare. It happened only four times in a weekend doing 650 miles. Which makes it pretty hard for the dealer to find and fix. But it’s still dangerous when it cuts out.
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:53 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Most people here, (as well as posts I read on facebook pages), suggest they replaced the ignition system, and then some. Check out some other the other ImmobFail posts in this section, sounds like an epidemic, KTM..

Forum Admin. Feel free to drop me a PM to answer any questions.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Yeah it’s no longer an immobiliser failure, as they fixed that by replacing the entire key barrel. This is just a stalling issue since that fix.
J D likes this.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:00 AM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
Yeah itís no longer an immobiliser failure, as they fixed that by replacing the entire key barrel. This is just a stalling issue since that fix.
Ah, ok. Hopefully they will be able to duplicate the issue in the future. Effin horrible that you were broken down so far from home.

Forum Admin. Feel free to drop me a PM to answer any questions.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:50 AM
Pgm

Quote:
Yeah itís no longer an immobiliser failure, as they fixed that by replacing the entire key barrel. This is just a stalling issue since that fix.
Does it just happen randomly ? Mine did it once but I put that down to not being warmed up properly as it happened early in my ride.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Yes completely randomly and very rarely. But always on a roundabout or a busy junction. Last couple of times I’ve managed to start it on the button and keep moving. I’ll update if they manage to find anything. They’ve already replaced the clutch switch as they thought it might be that. It wasn’t!
J D likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Yes completely randomly and very rarely. But always on a roundabout or a busy junction.
This is quite a common complaint, one which I had sporadically for a while, although not recently. It happens when you get on the gas - I realized I had a habit of blipping the throttle quickly before pulling away from a standstill, and that quick blip caused it to cut out. I tried to get out of the blipping habit, and it hasn't done it since.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:41 PM

It happened to me twice since I serviced my bike at the dealer. They actually told me it was common on the bikes when they first set them up. I still have to figure out why it happens. I know that it happened to me between 2nd and third gear and always slowing down to an intersection. I use the quickshifter too.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:30 AM
owl

Garage
This is a response a dealer got from ktm when sent some footage of it happening

Quote:
I have been speaking with my KTM tech on this video. Your bike has got an automatic idle control and the only way that this is could be happening is by not using the engine braking and rolling along with the clutch in.
I wasn't rolling with clutch in, but I was slipping it which may have been causing the problem. Since the firmware update and being more aware of it, it hasn't happened for some time.
J D likes this.

Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Yes it’s when the clutch is in, definitely not when I’m getting on the gas. I do use engine braking and the dealer asked if I was coasting up to junctions with the clutch in. I’m not, but perhaps I’m dipping the clutch too early. It actually hasn’t done it at all in the last two rides I’ve done, of about 150 miles each. Dealer said they’ll change the side stand switch next and check all the connections in the new barrel they fitted. I’m hoping it’s just resolved itself!
owl and J D like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page