Low Oil Pressure Light - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 4Likes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Low Oil Pressure Light

Hey guys, just joined and wanted to post my issue so I can share the results once I get it all worked out.
I had my first service done and now I have about 4,600 miles on my 790 Duke. Today my low oil pressure light kept flickering on and off. After a few miles it stayed on so I pulled over. Didn't see anything immediately wrong. Hoped back on the bike and last few miles home the low pressure oil warning came on and stayed on.
So im scheduled to drop the bike off Wednesday July 3rd. Hopefully I'll get some answers after the holiday weekend. Just thought I'd add the issue and results on here for everyone to know.
J D likes this.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:27 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Bummer! Hopefully just a loose wire/bad sensor.

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Hi - my new bike has it too - any update on your situation?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:05 AM

Make that 3! My 320 mile bike has been back at the dealer with no oil pressure and a coolant leak for the last 2 weeks, still awaiting an outcome
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:42 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike991 View Post
Make that 3! My 320 mile bike has been back at the dealer with no oil pressure and a coolant leak for the last 2 weeks, still awaiting an outcome
Greeting Mike! Is yours and '18 or 19?
Do you know where the coolant leak location might be? (As there is a somewhat 'common' issue with this for many).

I'm sorry to hear about your no oil pressure bit. Hope that gets resolved for you. Please keep us in the loop.

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:58 AM

Many thanks J.D

Mine is a '19 spec bike, the low oil pressure was apparently caused by the filter, this was changed and apparently all is now ok, no mention of why it caused the problem, something I want investigated and an assurance no top end wear has occurred.

The leak was from the top radiator hose and was leaking from within the wall of the hose, kind of in between the layers, so it would seem a manufacturing problem, as opposed to the seating of the hose. The bike is still with the dealer as apparently there is a 2 week lead on the hose.

Got to admit I got a bit pi**ed with the dealer and after a bit of searching found the email address of KTM Austria's MD, filled him in and then all **** broke loose at KTM UK and the dealer and now they seem to be on the case!

Got a loaner at long last, which in my opinion should have been offered straight away, without me having to kick off!
J D likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Good on you Mike, however like you said the dealer should’nt need a big prod from KTM to do their job properly.
J D likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Update. The dealer found the bike was less than a 1/4th of a court low on oil. So they topped it off and the light went away. They tried to charge me for it but I convinced them that wouldn't be in there best interest. Anyways, yesterday the low oil pressure light came back on. They ordered a new switch and I guess we're gonna try that but I'll show them this thread and mention the filter being an issue for some.
I just want the annoying light gone! I can't see any of my **** gauges cause that low oil pressure warning keeps kicking on and off!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Another update. Light still comes on after replacing the switch. No pattern or obviously reason why. Bike is back with the dealer now. They are trouble shooting with KTM on the phone. Will update once I have answers in case anyone else ever experiences this problem.
J D likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:19 PM

Garage
Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully they figure it out. That is super annoying.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page