Flat Tire: real-time repair kit - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Flat Tire: real-time repair kit

I was riding my ZX-14R, met up with a handful of riders at a local Ocean front bar/bbq joint. We were laughing, having a beer, good times.

Looking skyward, I noticed the impending rain blotting out the current sunny conditions. I decided to leave, proceeded over a few bridges, averaging the proverbial 'ton', amidst a heavy downpour, but all was fine.

So as I'm maintaining this sweet cruising speed, I notice the rear getting out of shape, steering suddenly became a stranger, haha.

Pulled over, flat tire in the rear..

Which inflating device do you prefer?

Thankfully a good friend with a Repo flat bed was nearby.

SEE foto of Repair kit:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StopNGo.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1878  

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..

Last edited by J D; 08-23-2019 at 02:47 PM.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
Right from the get-go I'm going to tell you that the flat tire I experienced a few days ago, didn't happen on my 790D.

I was riding my ZX-14R, met up with a handful of riders at a local Ocean front bar/bbq place. We were joking, having a beer, good times.

Looking skyward, I noticed the impending rain blotting out the current sunny conditions. I decided to leave, proceeded over a few bridges, averaging the proverbial 'ton', amidst a heavy downpour, but it was warrrm.

So as I'm maintaining this sweet cruising speed, I notice the rear getting out of shape, steering suddenly became a stranger, haha.

Pulled over, flat tire in the rear.. I have a plug kit, but what inflating device do you prefer?

Thankfully a good friend with a Repo flat bed was nearby.
I always carry a puncture repair kit with 6 small air canisters. Ive repaired 4 punctures, 3 on my own bikes (all on the multistrada, and twice when 2up) and a stranded guys puncture i came across out riding.
J D likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:22 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
This is why I love forums! Another idea I haven't thought of, but probably one of the better ones. I need to look into a plug kit and air fill. Always a good item to have on hand!
DaveNZ and J D like this.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:51 PM

I carry a small electric pump with a plug kit, easily fits under seat of my 'other bike'.
Have to work out where to put it on the 790, not fitting under the seat.

Mine
https://www.rockycreekdesigns.com/co...or-pocket-pump

Another highly recommended
https://bestrestproducts.com/product...pump-ez-gauge/

Review of pumps
https://www.roadrunner.travel/2015/0...le-tire-pumps/
Geoff, J D, GLantern and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:22 PM

Garage
Mini electric pump, adhesive "dog turd" ropes and the screw in, snap off "Gryyp" brand plugs for nail holes. I got 3 punctures in 4 months last year on my GSX-S 1000, all on Michelin Road 5 tyres. I live out in the country and a fair way from immediate help so have to be prepared
desmonator likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:34 AM

Garage
Just following on from my post above, I've also got a repair kit called the Stop and Go Tyre Plugger. I've never had occasion to use it but a friend has used one successfully, which is why I bought it. Referring to the photo, the puncture is repaired with a rubber mushroom. The head of the mushroom is undercut so that it compresses and can be forced through the puncture hole after being loaded into the cylinder. It works a bit like a grease gun. Apparently very easy to use and great for regular holes caused by nails and the like.

Spoiled for choice with the stuff I carry!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1369.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	1978  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:34 AM
Pgm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Just following on from my post above, I've also got a repair kit called the Stop and Go Tyre Plugger. I've never had occasion to use it but a friend has used one successfully, which is why I bought it. Referring to the photo, the puncture is repaired with a rubber mushroom. The head of the mushroom is undercut so that it compresses and can be forced through the puncture hole after being loaded into the cylinder. It works a bit like a grease gun. Apparently very easy to use and great for regular holes caused by nails and the like.

Spoiled for choice with the stuff I carry!
Would this fit in where the tool kit lives Geoff? Obviously with the tool kit removed that is 😁
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:53 AM

Garage
I keep mine in the tail pack along with tools, first aid kit and electric pump etc. If you want to check, here is the kit dimension in mm: 200x80x30
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190404_133455_1567320817896.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	1980  
Pgm likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:39 AM
Pgm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
I keep mine in the tail pack along with tools, first aid kit and electric pump etc. If you want to check, here is the kit dimension in mm: 200x80x30
Thanks Geoff, if I go any distance I usually have the tail pack on so I suppose there’s the answer.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:12 PM

Sticky string kit with (bodkin and auger) and miniature tyre pump from local 4wd shop. Works a treat and as long as the plug is not in the sidewall will last the life of the tyre !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page