Boots? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Boots?

So I have a pair of SIDI race boots and I absolutely love them. I wear them every time I ride, including into work, where I change into some shoes I leave in the office. I have been looking at some of the sport/touring boots, kind of a mid height above the ankle boot, but can't seem to find a pair I like. I definitely want the protection on the boots (sliders and the like) but also would like it somewhat functional.

What do you guys ride in or what is in your closet to choose from that you would recommend?

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:48 PM

Garage
I ride in these:

tcx metropolitan boots

After a pretty long break in period, they are absolutely fantastic. I don't use the shift lever protector and the wear just adds to the patina of the leather. I've also spent some money on a leather care kit and have done the whole shampoo/scrub/oil/wax routine which has really made these boots come into their own.

They are great to walk around in all day and what makes them good on the bike is the thin sole so the feeling of the controls is crisp.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDuke View Post
I ride in these:

tcx metropolitan boots

After a pretty long break in period, they are absolutely fantastic. I don't use the shift lever protector and the wear just adds to the patina of the leather. I've also spent some money on a leather care kit and have done the whole shampoo/scrub/oil/wax routine which has really made these boots come into their own.

They are great to walk around in all day and what makes them good on the bike is the thin sole so the feeling of the controls is crisp.
Jeez Navy those are way to high class for me!! Although they would look nice with a shirt and tie! I remember having to get my bates all cleaned up for inspections, so the leather route, albeit probably the best for protection, is a little cumbersome to maintain. They sure do look nice though!
NavyDuke likes this.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
I still favor my old Sidi's, for spirited rides/track days etc.

For regular road cruising/daily ripping, I always turn to my Oakley combat boots, sadly, they discontinued them.

Any of those you listed above, seem pretty fitting.
I used to ride in my combat boots as they had thin soles and gave a lot of protection, but kinda got away from them after I picked up the Sidis. Curious as to anyone else who has some mid heights if they like them or not, pros and cons....
NavyDuke likes this.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic View Post
Jeez Navy those are way to high class for me!! Although they would look nice with a shirt and tie! I remember having to get my bates all cleaned up for inspections, so the leather route, albeit probably the best for protection, is a little cumbersome to maintain. They sure do look nice though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic View Post
I used to ride in my combat boots as they had thin soles and gave a lot of protection, but kinda got away from them after I picked up the Sidis. Curious as to anyone else who has some mid heights if they like them or not, pros and cons....
I'm in a business casual office, so I pair them with some revit chinos. You can definitely dress down the black pair with a tshirt and a brown belt to work with those TCX boots. It took me a lot of work on the wife for me to spend this much on a bike much less the clothes Not having to change when I get to work is well worth the investment IMHO.

I actually rode the Duke in a set of old steel toe combat boots the other day and I hated it. Not thin soles and the quickshifter is so sensitive that I would accidentally change gears when just positioning my toe. The space in between the top of my foot and the leather of the boot was large enough that it would shift the bike before I knew I was touching the lever.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDuke View Post
I'm in a business casual office, so I pair them with some revit chinos. You can definitely dress down the black pair with a tshirt and a brown belt to work with those TCX boots. It took me a lot of work on the wife for me to spend this much on a bike much less the clothes Not having to change when I get to work is well worth the investment IMHO.

I actually rode the Duke in a set of old steel toe combat boots the other day and I hated it. Not thin soles and the quickshifter is so sensitive that I would accidentally change gears when just positioning my toe. The space in between the top of my foot and the leather of the boot was large enough that it would shift the bike before I knew I was touching the lever.
Yea that is the worst!! I would like a pair that I can wear all day as well. I need to go try some on!
NavyDuke likes this.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:04 AM
owl

Super-Moderator

Garage
For my work commute I use a pair of Icon Patrol 2 Boots, can't fault them really, waterproof, decent protection, BOA system easy on/off.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-patrol-2-boots

Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Very nice Owl. The boa system rocks. I have that on my old snowboard boots and love it. I like the Icons but I was trying to stay in the $100 range since I already have a nice $275 pair.

I actually ended up breaking down yesterday and ordering the TCX Blaze boots. They should be coming by Friday so I will let you all know what i think of em after I get them out a few times. They were on sale for $100 but for the cost and the protection and the flex and style, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:28 PM

I use Daytona Road star gtx for touring and Daytona Strive gtx for everything else.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page