Show Us Your Helmets! - Page 6 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 40Likes
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 03:01 PM

Super-Moderator

I'm on my 4th Bell now - this one is the Race Star with MIPS tech and some other schmancy things that are supposed to keep my soft matter all intact should I boink my head onto something hard.

Love Bells - the interior's are amazing - they breathe well, and the newer Gen's like this one have the larger eye-port so for racing or TD's you can see clearly out of the top now (previous Gen's were too low when in a tuck, I'd literally have my left hand pushing the helmet up on the straights so I could see where the **** I was going, less than ideal for aerodynamics LOL).
Shield change mechanism is flawless, visors are top quality, and all-around value for your Dollar/Rand/Pound/Peso/Euro is second to none IMO - they sell for literally 1/2 - 2/3 the cost of other's like Arai, AGV, or Shoei and offer as much or more in features and safety.
Attached Images

Rick and Donnstar like this.

My ambition outweighed my talent.
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 02:50 PM
SuperDuker

My Helmet yesterday after 240 kms of back roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1451.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	3406  
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Unread Today, 10:27 AM
Official KTM Hoonigan

Scorpion exo helmet - duke 790

Hi, this is the 2020 design we created in cooperation with Scorpion exo.
The RokON full- face helmet integrates numerous features that will create for you a truly awesome riding experience.
Inherited the DNA of a best selling EXO-500 Air, the EXO-490 embodies.
This is the best choice for those who love to enjoy various features and appreciate clever design, comfort and of course know that safety is a priority.

Name:	RBParts_Final-3916.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	3538

Name:	RBParts_Final-3910.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	3536

More about this helmet: http://bit.ly/32q8CWs
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Unread Today, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLion View Post
I'm on my 4th Bell now - this one is the Race Star with MIPS tech and some other schmancy things that are supposed to keep my soft matter all intact should I boink my head onto something hard.

Love Bells - the interior's are amazing - they breathe well, and the newer Gen's like this one have the larger eye-port so for racing or TD's you can see clearly out of the top now (previous Gen's were too low when in a tuck, I'd literally have my left hand pushing the helmet up on the straights so I could see where the **** I was going, less than ideal for aerodynamics LOL).
Shield change mechanism is flawless, visors are top quality, and all-around value for your Dollar/Rand/Pound/Peso/Euro is second to none IMO - they sell for literally 1/2 - 2/3 the cost of other's like Arai, AGV, or Shoei and offer as much or more in features and safety.
Well, they can sell for 1/2 to 2/3 cost. I just looked at their site and they have quite a few in the same price range as Arai/Shoei. So the question is... what are you giving up at the lower price point?

2019 KTM Duke 790
2015 Ducati Monster 821
2002 Honda XR400R
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Unread Today, 02:15 PM

Super-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombo View Post
Well, they can sell for 1/2 to 2/3 cost. I just looked at their site and they have quite a few in the same price range as Arai/Shoei. So the question is... what are you giving up at the lower price point?
I checked the busiest online seller in the US that carry all three Brands - Bell, Arai, and Shoei to see what full MSRP is on their top spec race helmets, here's the prices:

Shoei X-14 - $889
Bell Race Star - $779
Arai Corsair X - $979

Looks like MSRP shows the Bell is roughly 25% less than the Arai - not quite the discount I mentioned obviously.

The Bell has the following features:

Bell Flex Impact Liner, 3K Carbon Fiber Shell, Virus Jade Interior, Magnefusion Removable Cheek pads and the Panovision Class 1 Optics ProTint Photochromatic Shield.

Safety ratings are a grey area as most just list them as pass or fail and not best to worst.

Back to pricing, I see the savings differences as much more substantial for closeouts on previous year models with Bell than with Arai or Shoei - on the same website a closeout Arai is $579 and the same Bell Star is $399 - over a 40% savings.

Arai and Shoei are similar to brands like Sidi boots, Oakley sunglasses, etc.. where they have very strict online discounting policies - they never allow retailers to advertise super low prices unless given pre-authorization.

As always with Helmets, my recommendation for people is to try it on in person, leave it on for a while if possible - 10-15 minutes, and buy something you feel comfortable with, not something you think looks cool, your Hero #46 wears, or is heavily discounted and you're on a budget but isn't the right size or head shape.

My ambition outweighed my talent.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page